Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Budget Mike for Korg MR-1000  (Read 2682 times)

Offline DavidDSD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Budget Mike for Korg MR-1000
« on: January 19, 2009, 10:42:45 AM »
Hi

Looking for a few recommendations for a decent but not too expensive mike for recording live concerts into a Korg MR-1000. Many of these (experimental, free Jazz) gigs I am not too far from the musicians, often only a few feet. Sometimes they are partially amplified with horrible active PA speakers, other times mercifully not. The room's acoustics are usually not that fantastic, with no attempt by the organisers to treat any of the walls.

I won't be able to do any post eq of the recordings if I stick to DSD but there is the option to convert to PCM.

My immediate available budget is low, about £100-£200 (currently $150-$300), but I would consider saving up for something a little above that.

Thanks!

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Budget Mike for Korg MR-1000
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 05:35:35 PM »
Since it's an MR-1000, I assume you intend to run with stand, not body-worn?
In that case, does the budget mentioned include stand and bar (or you got that part already)?

You intend to run them straight off the P48 provided, no other boxes inbetween? Then you can't go for too powerhungry mics:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/349240-korg-mr-1000-phantom-power.html

Are you prepared to settle with a fixed polar pattern, or are you looking primarily for switchable caps?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »
With such a nice recorder I'd save up some more cash. Seems sort of silly to spend so little with such a nice deck

I understand the Busman mics are pretty good for the money. Looks like the BSC1 stereo kit is on sale for a little less that $500. Comes with multiple caps too, so they are versitle: http://busmanaudio.com/

I'd head over to the Live Music Archive and search for some recordings made with the BSC-1's. http://www.archive.org/details/etree
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline DavidDSD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 06:14:43 PM »
Thanks for your repies- forgot I posted in this section

Unfortunately, a few of the mics recommended here and elsewhere are located in the States- and usually incurs 30% import tax.

I'm now thinking about a matched pair of SDC Beyer MC-930 for £500.  Although well over budget, they are probably about to go up in price around 25%, so could be a good time to pounce and not worry about buying mikes for a while  ::).

Specs are: Open circuit voltage at 1 kHz (0dB = 1V/Pa) 30 mV/Pa, Current consumption 4.6 mA, nominal impedance 180 Ω, Load impedance 1000 Ω, Phantom powered (11 - 52 V), Switchable pre-attenuation of 15 dB. Also Will be recording up to about 20 feet from the musicians, although usually closer than that.  Is that all ok for the MR-1000? 

Here's that gig again- free Jazz/improvised- and it's the sort of small venue I intend recording at.  Sounds screetchingly awful on you tube, though:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ESPsLCgOW2Y

Are you prepared to settle with a fixed polar pattern, or are you looking primarily for switchable caps?

Not sure about that one?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:44:42 PM by DavidDSD »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com