Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 60' and 70's P.A Question  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Frequincy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I Am The Last Dinosaur
60' and 70's P.A Question
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:43:50 PM »
Iv'e seen photos of several singers performing from this era with two mics taped together. I was wondering if anyone might have some insight as to why this was done? At first I thought maybe one mic went to FOH and the other was for monitors. Then I read somewhere it might be a technique used to reduce feedback. Or did one go to a tape machine? Just curious.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 60' and 70's P.A Question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 01:10:32 PM »
http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/the_wall_of_sound_to_now_a_pa_evolution_odyssey/

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/40220-ozzy-plant-2-mics-taped-together.html

::They were supposed to kill feedback. Two microphones were wired out of phase. In close proximity like that will cancel each other out if the same signal, with the same strength is applied to both. If you sing into the closest one, your voice won't be canceled out (that signal being much stronger than the one going in to the second mic). The sound returning from the pa speakers though would enter both mics at pretty much the same level and at the same time, causing phase cancellation and avoiding feedback.

Try it. It really works. Nowadays, the intelligent graphic equalizers will solve the issue in a more elegant way..::

OR

yes, the two mic taped together thing is indeed to eliminate feedback, as monitor systems were in their infancy (if they were used at all), and most times there was either the PA on its own, or very large sidewash systems. if you look at old footage of the stones, mick can be seen using this technique.

also, as a sidenote re: the grateful dead's massive system...everyone did in fact have their own stack behind them, but the reason why the FOH guy had no control over anyone's sound was because there WAS no FOH guy. there were people giving feedback to the band so it remained more or less balanced, but there was no console to be wrangled. (this VERY large system was run completely on tube powered amps as well, making it the most labour-intensive PA to ever be built, and ultimately led to its demise due to the unbelievable cost involved in its upkeep.)
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »
simple answer was that the 2 mics were thrown out of phase in an attempt to kill feedback. in theory, it makes sense, in reality, it's not very effective.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 10:09:50 PM »
I was gonna say the Wall Of Sound!
the Dave Rat article is very good

the entire concept is quite interesting, though, I think today's PA's are sonically (or can be) superior

thanx
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:34:35 AM »
simple answer was that the 2 mics were thrown out of phase in an attempt to kill feedback. in theory, it makes sense, in reality, it's not very effective.

It was effective for the Dead as far as feedback reduction, it just did not sound very good, even with the B&K caps they were using.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »

It was effective for the Dead as far as feedback reduction, it just did not sound very good, even with the B&K caps they were using.

if it doesn't sound good coming out of the speakers, then it's not very effective as a part of a PA system, now is it?
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 04:19:38 PM »

if it doesn't sound good coming out of the speakers, then it's not very effective as a part of a PA system, now is it?

No, it definately would not be. But, while you might have a different experience, in person I am told, the Wall Of Sound was incredible even in the vocals, according to my old Deadhead mentors that saw several shows using it in 1974. The few genuine high fidelity audience recordings I have heard that were made then sound nothing like the SBD sources of these shows that 99% of people are used to, so I am thinking that maybe the weird sound that the dual mics created was not normally as pronounced live from the PA as it was on SBD tapes.   
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 05:54:54 PM »

No, it definately would not be. But, while you might have a different experience, in person I am told, the Wall Of Sound was incredible even in the vocals, according to my old Deadhead mentors that saw several shows using it in 1974. The few genuine high fidelity audience recordings I have heard that were made then sound nothing like the SBD sources of these shows that 99% of people are used to, so I am thinking that maybe the weird sound that the dual mics created was not normally as pronounced live from the PA as it was on SBD tapes.   

Any of those recordings on archive.org?
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 01:50:43 AM »

Any of those recordings on archive.org?

check this one out:
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1974-07-21.ecm22p.bertrando.89033.flac24

Offline Frequincy

• Taperssection Regular
  • I Am The Last Dinosaur
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 02:44:16 AM »
thanks to all for the info. I have many Dead shows and will have to check out that era of my collection. I remember when I was a teen and seeing a Black Sabbath vid and saw the 2 mic config and had no clue what that was all about. It's amazing how technology has changed with in ear monitoring and line array systems. The history is facinating.

Awsome link Darby!!!! Crystal clear and beautiful. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 02:47:06 AM by Frequincy »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com