Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A few questions from a total noob  (Read 2806 times)

Offline genos92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
A few questions from a total noob
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:51:28 PM »
I am looking to get into taping because, as it happens, every show i go to never makes it on to archive.org! I have been considering this hobby and have decided to pursue it finally. My question is... if the following setup is complete or incomplete. Basically... will it work. I am not too concerned with quality at the moment because there is always the possibility of upward mobility in the equipment department!

This particular set of mics: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/340476.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps

This device as a recorder: http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H2-Portable-Stereo-Recorder/dp/B000VBH2IG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318558227&sr=1-2

And this as an energy source: http://www.amazon.com/ART-Phantom-Pro-Power-Supply/dp/B003S7LTI4

Also, is that phantom box the same as a battery box (or a substitute in my case), and does the output go from the box to the recorder?

And lastly, would anyone be able to tell me which set of matched mics to go with between the Fostex MC10 that I have listed above and the SP-CMC-2s (aka AT831)

The help would be greatly appreciated, I am real excited to get started if I can secure the correct equipment.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: A few questions from a total noob
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:26:53 PM »
That certainly seems like a pretty workable low-cost taping solution.

As an alternative, you might consider the new Tascam DR-40.  It just came out, so I don't know if anyone here has any experience with it.  But it looks to be a little brother to the DR-100 which I know many people have used successfully.  I'd guess it also sounds similar to the other Tascam digital recorders.  I now have the DR2d which I like alot, and I've previously owned the 8ch DR-680, which also sounds very nice.

The beauty of the DR-40 is that it takes XLR inputs, and includes phantom power, so you could have a simpler solution and skip the ART phantom supply.  The DR-40 seems to have a street price of $199, so it isn't much different in price than the Zoom + the Art phanom, skips a box and cabling, and I'd guess sounds better (reaching here, but I don't recall people liking too much the Zoom recorders, and the tascams sound good to my ear).

Those Fostex mics seem like they fit the bill, and I don't know that I'd look into any other cheaper full size mics.  For cheaper consider the micromics like the Soundpros you mention, or some Church Audio mics.  My two cents though -- if you want to get into open taping (Archive.org bands), I'd stick with full size mics just so you can learn to work with them, learn to work with mic patterns (certainly possible with micro-mics, but seems easier to me using t-bars and mic mounts with full size mics), etc.

In terms of other full size mics to consider, I know people have talked about and used the Marshall MXL 603S mics, which are about $170 a pair, so close in price to the Fostex mics.  Also, Nick's Picks -- a respected member here and certified gear slut who has owned all kinds of expensive taping gear in his day -- raves about the M-Audio Pulsar II mics.  A matched pair of those with t-bar, mounts, etc can be found on Amazon for $250 a pair.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline genos92

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 04:25:17 PM »
Thank you so much for the advice! I will consider the Tascam and now i don't know if I should go with the MXls or Foxsets! MXLs sound pretty good on archive. Ill think about it some more.

Also, you dont think that 3 AA batteries the Tascam takes wouldn't die out quicker on the Tascam w/ Phantom than a 9v battery on Art? I don't really know what expectations I should have for battery life in any of this stuff, so your opinion will make a big difference.

Thanks again,

Gary

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 04:34:07 PM »
I just started, myself, and got some good advice from some of the regulars.  They suggested, and thankfully, the Sony PCM-M10 as the deck, it is a great little deck, super easy to use and rock solid.  I would definitely recommend that.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/638090-REG/Sony_PCM_M10_BLACK_PCM_M10_Portable_Audio_Recorder.html

I would also suggest checking out the Yard Sale (YS), there are alot of good deals on used equipment.  I was lucky enough to get a nice set of mics and a nice pre-amp (Naiant Littlebox) in excellent shape for a great price.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline genos92

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:40:16 PM »
I have no idea what the Yard Sale is! I saw it a few times on this forum and googled it, feeling like an idiot, because all that came up were tips for a having a great yard sale. What/Where is it?

Offline genos92

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »
Nevermind. I guess its a section of this forum lol. total noob

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »
I have the Sony D50, which is the big brother to the M10, and I love it.  From everything I've seen and read, the M10 sounds like a great deck.  I also have a Naiant littlebox preamp and love it.  I think a pair of mics coupled with a Naiant preamp is a fantastic way to go. It also will probably be something like $500 for the set of Naiant pre + M10 recorder, so it is a definite step up in rig cost.

Something to think about -- you could definitely get by and probably make good recordings with the $200 DR-40.  The Naiant + M10 option will likely sound noticeably better, but you are jumping up on the cost curve.

As to battery life on the DR-40 vs the Art supply:  The Art supply uses 2x 9v batteries, so it needs to step up its 18v supply to 48v for phantom; the DR-40 needs to step up its 4-5v supply (depending on alkaline AAs vs NiMH rechargeable AAs) to 48v.  But 9v batteries only supply about 600mah, whereas rechargable NiMH AAs are more like 2800mah.  Sorry to dive into technical details, but the bottom line is just accounting for providing phantom power, both probably supply about 15hours of phantom juice.

In some weird theoretical calculation anyway, the reality is that the DR-40 needs to provide phantom power and also power the recorder itself.  Based on what Tascam has said on battery life not supplying phantom power, and adding in the power draw of phantom powered mics, the DR40 should provide 5-6 hours of use on a set of good AA batteries when powering a pair of condensor mics with phantom power.  Good meaning lithium high-draw non-rechargable batteries or better yet, a nice set of NiMH rechargeable AA batteries.

5-6 hours cuts it a little close for operner + 2 set main act, but change out AA batteries between sets of the main act and you should be fine.  All a guess on published literature -- unfortunately just a prediction until someone gets out and uses a DR40, which I'm not sure anyone has yet.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »
Yeah, sorry, I should have specified.

Here is a used pair of the mics I started with, nice little mics for the price.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=146108.0

Here is also a nice pre-amp.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=149703.0
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 06:25:56 PM »
Also, Nick's Picks -- a respected member here and certified gear slut who has owned all kinds of expensive taping gear in his day -- raves about the M-Audio Pulsar II mics.  A matched pair of those with t-bar, mounts, etc can be found on Amazon for $250 a pair.

I've heard some surprisingly good pulls with the Pulsars, especially in light of their pricetag.  At ~$250, the matched set package is quite the steal; can be found sub-$200 on eBay from time to time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com