Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: micW N101 Stereo Pair in comparison to Schoeps sensitivity  (Read 7178 times)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: micW N101 Stereo Pair in comparison to Schoeps sensitivity
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 10:41:56 PM »
well, I ran one N101 and one MK6>KC5>PFA (both sounded good). I ran the attenuator -15db at the recorder as directed, however, the mic still was getting clipped even though it wasn't showing a clip on the recorder. Guessing that the N101 are too sensitive for running onstage close by a drum set. Not sure how I can get around this problem. Any thoughts?

so you can hear the clip, but it didn't overload the recorder or is it that it overloaded an active electronics recorder (which may not show the peak, but passes along an overdrove signal)? It actually could be either, they are rated for 1% thd at 130spl and close to an aggressive kick drum might hit past that. DSatz once said you can drive a condenser past that for some headroom (in trade of some noise) but you don't get more then 4spl worth until it takes an exponential hit on noise.

I've mic'd a kit overhead style before and it came out at around 132spl.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 10:55:59 PM »
132dBSPL is pretty loud for overheads, you really want to be a bit higher above the cymbals.  That would be a real cymbal basher.

Yeah, it was an odd setup, I actually was trying to mic the rest of the kit, but they had it setup in a mirror fashion (one player on each side of a shared kick) and it was in a crap room so I tried to lower the mics a little to maximize sound:reverb. It worked out great, but it's the best reference I've got to getting close drum setup.  :-\
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »
I had the mic close to the kick drum and it only seems to overload when there was a loud kick drum thump.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 02:25:50 PM »
I returned this set of microphones for a full refund after running them a couple of times. They were not up to specs and it was disappointing.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com