Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Seeking pattern/config opinions on this 3-mic setup  (Read 2217 times)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Seeking pattern/config opinions on this 3-mic setup
« on: April 29, 2005, 12:17:45 PM »
I'm thinking about running a 3-mic config at WSP Dallas using 1 TL (my other TL needs repair) and a pair of Pelusos (depending if Fozzy's stand can take the weight  :D ).  The plan is to run the TL in the middle of the other 2 mics, which will be ran in a DIN config more or less.  The TL signal will be from a V2 fed mono into both RCA inputs on a UA5.  I have wide-card, card & hyper caps for the pelusos and omni, fig-8, card, & hyper patterns on the TL.  So there are a lot of options to choose from.

One way I'm considering is setting the TL on Fig-8 pointed straight ahead and then running the outer mics w/ either wide-card or cards almost 180° to the TL, sort of like an on-the-fly M/S set up w/ the Fig-8 mic used as the mid rather than the side mic.

Another option I could run is to use the TL in omni and then use hypers at around 130°.  Or, run the TL hyper and the outer mics either card or wide-card.  The acoustics of the venue are very good if I recall correctly.  Any advice/caveats?  thanks

« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 04:24:16 PM by drewLoo »

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Seeking pattern/config opinions on this 3-mic setup
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 12:21:17 PM »
I vote wide-card on the two oustide mics(run as wide as possible), and hyper for the TL in the middle.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 01:43:31 PM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 01:14:15 PM »
thanks for the input. +t

Offline Brian

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 01:34:14 PM »
I was thinking the one omni in the middle and split the wide cards.  a hyper would focus in on the stage more but i think an omni would yield to a more ambient and real type sound.  combiine that with the split sub cards and i think you would make a fine tape!  this is all provide you are in the middle and have access to 2 other stands to clamp. so seeing as that could be a hard possibility your last suggestion would be what i would go with except lessen the angle and move em out wider, like NOS.

are you DFC? i think that's pretty crucial.  Panic is definitely a stereo mix.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 02:03:37 PM »
Should be pretty much in the middle but def. only 1 stand.  Ya know, it might be possible to get by w/ only 2 stands split apart w/ the omni just mounted on one stand.  If they're only split 20'  apart & dfc I wonder how much a difference it would make...  Cool, thanks for the thoughts. +t

Offline Brian

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 02:12:19 PM »
no problem, backatcha....good luck!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 02:22:11 PM »
I was thinking the one omni in the middle and split the wide cards. a hyper would focus in on the stage more but i think an omni would yield to a more ambient and real type sound. combiine that with the split sub cards and i think you would make a fine tape! this is all provide you are in the middle and have access to 2 other stands to clamp. so seeing as that could be a hard possibility your last suggestion would be what i would go with except lessen the angle and move em out wider, like NOS.

are you DFC? i think that's pretty crucial. Panic is definitely a stereo mix.

what he said
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com