Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4061 mismatch  (Read 4441 times)

Offline madman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
4061 mismatch
« on: September 29, 2005, 12:07:48 AM »
I got a pair of 4061s about 2 weeks ago, just going over the stuff I taped and running some tests here at home.  The microphones are sequential in SN, but I'm getting about a 3.5dB difference between the two.  Is this normal?  Is this sort of thing covered under warranty, or am I basically going to have to do a 3.5dB boost on one channel every time I tape?

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
Re: 4061 mismatch
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 12:22:27 AM »
Well, they were a "demo" pair from Oade that they told me were used once for a show at the House of Blues.  Powering them with the DPA batt box as well.  I ruled out the batt box being an issue by swapping the mics, now the dB drop is reversed.  I suppose I can check in w/Oade tomorrow, or maybe just go right to DPA and see what they can do for me, maybe send me another one and see which one it matches best.  The difference is clearly audible, I had originally figured my mounting is what caused the difference, but I've spent some time testing at home with the mics draped in front of a speaker and get the same 3-3.5dB difference.

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 12:49:18 AM »
Cool, thanks for the info.  I shot Doug an email, the mics are still covered under warranty even though they were a demo set.  I'm sure they'll be able to take care of it.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 12:56:35 AM »
Mine are ebay mismatches...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 03:45:01 AM »
My ebay pair is nicely matched...guess I got lucky.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 11:27:01 AM »
Keep in mind also that sequential does not necessarily mean matched.

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 12:17:09 PM »
No dice from Oade, he said to try DPA, as the mics are supposed to be within +- 2dB of a certain tolerance.  Will try them and report back.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 12:48:28 PM »
did oade sell them to you as matched?

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 02:00:01 PM »
Nope, just as a sequential pair.  Which they are.  If DPA can't do a return, are there places that sell matched pairs (that aren't Core Sound)?  I'll just buy a matched pair and sell my mismatched pair on EBay or here if someone doesn't mind doing post to boost one channel.  It's going to drive me nuts having a pair this far off.

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 02:51:16 PM »
Well, DPA can't do anything to help me either.  I'm going to see about a return at Oade and see if I can source a matched pair from elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 02:57:55 PM by madman »

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 03:15:14 PM »
No, no pre as of today. I am thinking of buying a single, but now I have to decide what to do.  Do I try to find someone who sells matched pairs (again, that isn't Core Sound), do I return the mics within the 30 day period to Oade (and get stuck with a 15% restocking fee), do I build a -3.5dB (or so) attenuator into my batt box or do I live with having to do a 3.5dB boost on one channel for all my tapes?  Followup: Anyone have info on building attenuators, I basically just need to find what value resistor will give me -3.5dB.

The spec is +-2dB of tolerance for the 4061s, so I have almost the most mismatched mics within spec.  Great luck.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 03:20:35 PM by madman »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 03:41:21 PM »
do I return the mics within the 30 day period to Oade (and get stuck with a 15% restocking fee)

They may or may not apply the re-stocking fee.  Many companies have a re-stock fee policy, but it's not always implemented across the board.  Might be worth finding out, if it'll impact your decision.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 04:04:08 PM »
I think I'll live with it and just attenuate inside the DPA batt box since there's plenty of room in there to put some resistors.  I got a great deal on them with a warranty and would rather not pay full price elsewhere just to end up with another mismatched pair.  I love the sound I get with the mics, so I'd just end up buying a pair for about $750 elsewhere and hoping for the best.  And in case I wasn't clear before, Core Sound isn't getting another dime off me  :)

Thanks for all the responses.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 04:10:05 PM »
Wait, I'm confused, are they from Oade, or Core-Sound?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 04:20:16 PM »
i'd just do it in post. 

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 04:48:05 PM »

They're from Oade...I bought my last pair from CS, though.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 04:59:20 PM »

They're from Oade...I bought my last pair from CS, though.

ah, OK - I was a little confused.

FWIW, I'd do the correction in post too, if I were you.  But then again, I have no idea how I'd go about building an attenuator.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 07:26:01 PM »
I may skip the attenuator as well, I don't want anything that can interfere with the signal.  I'll call up Oade again tomorrow, see if maybe I can buy a 3rd 4061 and just return the one that matches less.  I figure if the DPA spec is +-2dB and I have a 3.5dB difference, I've pretty much got two that are at opposite ends of their tolerance.  Worst case, I'd end up with a 1.75dB difference if the 3rd mic was right in the middle.  We'll see. 

Or maybe just buy that MMA6000 I've been looking at  :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 10:22:45 PM by madman »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com