Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What do you think of SP-CMC-4 ?  (Read 3255 times)

Offline bedoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
What do you think of SP-CMC-4 ?
« on: October 22, 2006, 04:55:11 AM »
hello

first of all, sorry for my futur mistakes, i'm french, so my english is far from perfect :P

i tape shows from 18 months with an ECM-719. I'm verry happy of the results but I would like to update them with better mics. I'm interested in the SP-CMC-4 of sound professionnal. I have asked to a friend what kind of battery box choose, and he advice to me to take the SP-SPSB-6 battery box.

so do you think that SP-CMC-4 + SP-SPSB-6 is a good deal ? on the battery box, there is not bass roll of, is it a problem ? I mostly tape rock bands (placebo, pearl jam, coldplay, radiohead and french pop rock bands). for the mics, I can choose XLRM connectors, what is the difference ?  

do you think for the same price (about 250/300$) i can have better ? because i was aslo intesrested by OKMIIR.

thank you for your help  ;)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What do you think of SP-CMC-4 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 06:03:33 PM »
I like my SP-CMC-4s.  One problem with the stock configuration (ie, a run into a 2 wire battery box like the SP-SPSB-6) is that you can get distortion at loud shows. 

A 3 wire battery box like:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71839.0

if you need a preamp as well

will solve the distortion problem, but will lower the sensitivity of the mics a bit so you need to have a decent preamp in your recorder, or get one separately (or solve both problems at once with: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=73499.0).  You'll also need a different connector than what the stock cable on the SP-CMC-4 usually comes with.

Chris at Sound Professionals may be able to provide you with a 3 wire battery box himself if you talk to him directly about customizations.  I'm sure he could at least have your mics terminated in mini XLRs to work with the battery boxes referenced abvove.

Aside from the possible distortion issues with loud shows, I think the SP-CMC-4s are great mics for the price and it's hard to do better for the price, especially for small mics.  One big advantage of the CMC-4s is that they have interchangeable capsules, sometimes hypercardioids can really help out far back or in a lousy sounding room.  And omnis can be great in a good acoustic environment, but I wouldn't want them as my only option.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:06:44 PM by Will_S »

Offline bedoc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 05:00:35 AM »
thanks for the informations

what do you mean by loud shows ?
because the preamp of chris is very intesresting but too expensive for me (I have ti buy the mics too)
is there an alternative between the SP-SPSB-6 and the one proposed by Chris ?

thanks

Offline macacopowa

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Barcelona Projecte Musical
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 06:02:41 AM »
thanks for the informations

what do you mean by loud shows ?
because the preamp of chris is very intesresting but too expensive for me (I have ti buy the mics too)
is there an alternative between the SP-SPSB-6 and the one proposed by Chris ?

thanks

the 3wire battery box, increase your spl (reducing the distortion) and it's cheaper. On TS they are many people that can do this 3wire, the link that said Will_S you can see a 3wire bb for a very good price 

PS: welcome  from Barcelona
respectable rig:
Neumann km184 > Hi Ho Silver Clad Cables thegreatgumbino style> SD722

stealth way
CMC-8>3wire bb>R1/ ihp120

recordings on LMAhttp://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danimacaco

http://myspace.com/musickapes       http://db.etree.org/macacopowa

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 12:47:48 PM »
I find the bass rolloff very handy. I have the SP modified AT 853's, and if I use the configuration without a bass rolloff, I usually have to remove some bass in post. Not a big deal, but more work. I have the SP-SPSB-1 and I like it.

Remember that you get a discount from Sound Professionals as a member of TS.com ;D. It mentions a code somewhere in the Retail Section, or you can just ask Chris at Sound Professionals.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 01:43:17 PM »
I strongly recommend the 3 wire mod so the mics wont distort if you record loud concerts (such as heavy metal or hard rock where there's a lot of bass involved).  The mics will distort if you are close to the PA in such a situation. 

Otherwise, the mics sound great.  I have a pair with card elements and I love them.  I can send you mp3 samples if you'd like, drop let me know me.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline bedoc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 06:49:45 PM »
thanks for all your comments.

i will take the SP-SPSB-1 (with the SP-CMC-4) with bass roll off and level control
as i dont tape loud sound like heavy metal or hard rock (only pop/rock) I think it will be enough  ;)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 07:00:15 PM »
Save some money and get a used one:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=74039.0

Offline bedoc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 04:13:16 PM »
I find the bass rolloff very handy. I have the SP modified AT 853's, and if I use the configuration without a bass rolloff, I usually have to remove some bass in post. Not a big deal, but more work. I have the SP-SPSB-1 and I like it.

Remember that you get a discount from Sound Professionals as a member of TS.com ;D. It mentions a code somewhere in the Retail Section, or you can just ask Chris at Sound Professionals.

hum, do you the exact place to have this code. I don't find it. I have tried to contact chris but no answer for the moment (maybe he is busy)  ;)

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 04:18:39 PM »

hum, do you the exact place to have this code. I don't find it. I have tried to contact chris but no answer for the moment (maybe he is busy)  ;)

Chris at SP is closed today.....He is open Monday thru Thursday......
Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline bedoc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 04:33:23 PM »
Chris at SP is closed today.....He is open Monday thru Thursday......
Peace,
jk

thanks for the information. I will wait to next week  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com