Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 'cardiodizing' a dpa 4061 omni  (Read 5022 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
'cardiodizing' a dpa 4061 omni
« on: September 08, 2007, 12:45:17 AM »
is it possible to mount these mics in a way that would attenuate some sound from the rear?

I've been pleased with the results outdoors, but indoors, id like to find a way to attenuate room reflections.

I'm thinking what if the mic was mounted one one side of a sound-absorbing foam baffle?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: 'cardiodizing' a dpa 4061 omni
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:31:47 AM »
j-disc or schneider disc :) or try healy omni mehtod
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 05:24:02 AM »
i should add that it ideally would be low-pro (think in a hat)

j-disc or schneider disc :) or try healy omni mehtod
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 10:54:55 AM »
jerryfreak, there's a problem with this in terms of basic physics. The range of audible frequencies has a 1000:1 range of wavelengths because of the familiar 20 - 20,000 Hz business. But to block a sound wave, an object needs to be at least half the wavelength of that wave. So unfortunately, any baffle, etc., that you might practically use could only be effective at high frequencies.

If you used a baffle six inches in diameter, for example, the waves for any sound beneath about 1100 Hz would simply flow around it, and so forth. That might sharpen the localization in your stereo recordings and it's a worthwhile experiment for its own sake, but it won't turn your omnis into some other directional pattern.

There is currently a product being marketed by a Chinese microphone manufacturer which claims to absorb the sound waves from behind a directional microphone. But the product is just a curved piece of metal a few inches across, lined with sound-absorbing foam. That might have an effect above, say, 2 kHz, but certainly not below.

The way most cardioid microphones work nowadays is that they have a front and a rear sound inlet, with an acoustical delay line in the rear inlet, arranged so that sound arriving from the front is reinforced while sound arriving from the rear is canceled. But it's actually more complicated than that, because the entire internal architecture of the capsule (the internal volume of air) has to optimized for that purpose, and the membrane tension has to be set right for it (lower than with an omni), or else the frequency response will be all wrong.

In other words there's no real hope of transforming an omni into a usable directional microphone, unless the capsule was designed in advance to make this transformation itself, i.e. unless it was designed and built to be a two-pattern switchable microphone.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 03:21:37 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 01:47:08 PM »
thanks,
excellent post!

just have to get closer to the sound source to minimize incident reflections i suppose

jerryfreak, there's a problem with this in terms of basic physics. Sound across the range of audible frequencies has a 1000:1 range of wavelengths (which goes along with the 20 - 20,000 Hz business). And in order to block a sound wave to any real extent, the size of an object needs to be at least half the wavelength of that wave.

So unfortunately, any baffle, etc., that you might practically use could only be effective at high frequencies. If you used a baffle six inches in diameter, for example, the waves for any sound beneath about 1100 Hz would simply flow around it, and so forth.

There is currently a product being marketed by a Chinese microphone manufacturer which claims to absorb the sound waves from behind a directional microphone. But the product is just a curved piece of metal a few inches across, lined with sound-absorbing foam. That might have a slight effect at, say, 1 kHz and above, but certainly not at 500 Hz or below.

The way most cardioid microphones work nowadays is that they have a front and a rear sound inlet, with an acoustical delay line in the rear inlet, arranged so that sound arriving from the front is reinforced and sound arriving from the rear is canceled. But it's actually more complicated than that because the entire internal architecture of the capsule (the internal volume of air) has to optimized for that purpose and the membrane tension has to be set right for it (lower than with an omni), or else the frequency response will be all wrong.

In other words, there's no real hope of transforming an omni into a usable directional microphone, unless the "omni" was designed in advance to make this transformation itself, i.e. unless it was designed and built to be a two-pattern switchable microphone.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 12:33:24 PM »
is it possible to mount these mics in a way that would attenuate some sound from the rear?

I've been pleased with the results outdoors, but indoors, id like to find a way to attenuate room reflections.

I'm thinking what if the mic was mounted one one side of a sound-absorbing foam baffle?

Put it at the focal point of a parabolic reflector - it will then be very directional.  ;D

You could also hang duvets to change the room acoustics.

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 08:06:01 AM »
Seems interesting, Moke.

I am going to mount stereo omni in a club permanantly.  In what looks to be pretty sweet placement (12' from stage, DFC) there is a mirror ball.  I am wondering:

a) if i can do HRTF effect (1-2" from ball) and
b) about a baffle to give crowd noise rejection

Any thoughts from the group?

Thanks
Joe

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 08:56:30 AM »

Low profile on-body mounting in the collar-bone area of the chest will diminish rear sounds nicely. However, in this area, whatever's in front of you should be considered as also blocking (some) line-of-sight with the pickup sounds.

Seems interesting, Moke.

I am going to mount stereo omni in a club permanently.  In what looks to be pretty sweet placement (12' from stage, DFC) there is a mirror ball.  I am wondering:

a) if i can do HRTF effect (1-2" from ball) and
b) about a baffle to give crowd noise rejection

Any thoughts from the group?

Thanks
Joe

HRTF baffling is a totally absorptive at all audio frequencies (complete opposite of mirror ball reflective) surface. 

True HRTF acoustic baffle suitable for permanent mounting with top/bottom mic threads and may be used with various small omni pickups is available from my company.  Suggest mounting baffle at least 3' distance from the mirror ball and other large hard reflective surfaces

See this at: www.sonicstudios.com/access.htm#liteguy and www.sonicstudios.com/liteguy.htm
Music live session/performance recordings using true HRTF baffling at: www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 08:59:55 AM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 01:15:02 PM »
guysonic, the idea that a small baffle could absorb, or reflect, or do anything whatsoever across the entire range of sound frequencies is contrary to elementary physics. Whoever is making this claim doesn't know (or doesn't care) what the f**k he's talking about.

This isn't even remotely controversial; it's just plain wrong at the "how much is 2 times 2" level. Low frequencies = wavelengths way, way larger than the baffle = they just flow around it and aren't affected by it, like a tyrannosaurus being "attacked" by two baby gnats.

Fortunately, the effectiveness of "dummy head"-style recording doesn't actually rely on this absurd claim.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 01:54:11 PM »
guysonic, the idea that a small baffle could absorb, or reflect, or do anything whatsoever across the entire range of sound frequencies is contrary to elementary physics. Whoever is making this claim doesn't know (or doesn't care) what the f**k he's talking about.

This isn't even remotely controversial; it's just plain wrong at the "how much is 2 times 2" level. Low frequencies = wavelengths way, way larger than the baffle = they just flow around it and aren't affected by it, like a tyrannosaurus being "attacked" by two baby gnats.

Fortunately, the effectiveness of "dummy head"-style recording doesn't actually rely on this absurd claim.

--best regards

The truth is water based flesh DOES have this unique absorption property.   My GUY and LiteGUY baffle virtually replicates this as there is very little difference from person wearing or GUY/LiteGUY baffle recordings as is proven by the hundreds of sample recordings done over a 22 year period.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 01:55:59 PM »
post samples, please. i'm interested.

thanks

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 02:08:03 PM »
post samples, please. i'm interested.

thanks
The hundreds of sample (musical) recordings are linked on the already posted page www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm

Natural sounds, and ambient/compositional type HRTF recordings found on page: www.sonicstudios.com/mp3.htm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com