Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 60' Split Stack Recording  (Read 10768 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 60' Split Stack Recording
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 03:55:27 PM »
also, when did DMB switch to a stereo mix? That's good to hear

Not a true stereo mix.  Same mix as before but the horns are panned to one side and the fiddle/violin are panned to the other side with a little bleed.

So 98% mono with the horns/fiddle bleed.

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2007, 04:33:17 PM »
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.  I heard someone at a Pink Floyd show at the Rosemont in '87 bought a whole row of seats just for mic separation.

check out Rob Eaton's u87 split tape from Philly 4-21-84 if you haven't heard it

I'm far from a fan of '80s Dead, but that is one sexy bitch of a tape!

"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2007, 04:42:02 PM »
yea, it is a gem

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 04:48:56 PM »
also, when did DMB switch to a stereo mix? That's good to hear

Not a true stereo mix.  Same mix as before but the horns are panned to one side and the fiddle/violin are panned to the other side with a little bleed.

So 98% mono with the horns/fiddle bleed.

horns are panned more right, violin to the left.  keys are panned to one side at times, and drums are spread out over the right and left

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 05:35:37 PM »
Wow. Its really an interesting tape. I tend to agree with Brian that it lack a strong enough center image, however, its a neat idea for a challenging taping situation. I've never seen DMB, but it seems to give a great approximation of the stereo imaging of the instruments. Good experimenting!

With respect to the lack of center image, I noticed this in a positive way on the walk to work this morning - listening on headphones, there's no cluster-in-the-center-of-your-head effect. It was distributed all over my head in quite an interesting way :)
Got me wondering about how the imaging sounds on the stereo and I'm about to go find out!
Thanks fellas, +teez!

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 05:51:04 PM »
I've experimented with wide splits in the past - omins, cards, and hypers.  I found that really wide splits worked quite well at spreading the music image out, especially when you were somewhat far back from the PA stacks.  What I didn't like was the crowd noise had almost ZERO center image - it was two balls of crowd coming directly out of the speakers.  This killed the image for me, as I like to submerge myself in the moment and feel like i'm in the venue.  I lose the magic when I can easily pinpoint the location of the playback speakers.  I'd rather have a narrower image of the music if I can come closer to reproducing a holographic image of the whole experience in my head - venue, crowd and all.

I didn't listen to this recording, so I'm just offering up some of my nonsense in general terms.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2007, 08:38:11 PM »
Hey MattH....Listening to the 24bit version now....sounds SWEET...Thanks man  ;D

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2007, 12:14:16 AM »
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.  I heard someone at a Pink Floyd show at the Rosemont in '87 bought a whole row of seats just for mic separation.

check out Rob Eaton's u87 split tape from Philly 4-21-84 if you haven't heard it

I'm far from a fan of '80s Dead, but that is one sexy bitch of a tape!

You ain't frickin kidding! The Help>Slip>Frank is mind blowing with headphones on!
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline tfs8271

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2007, 12:25:59 AM »
Back in the '80s, I remember a friend of a friend running this for a Greek Dead show....wish I had it now.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2007, 05:45:45 AM »
Back in the '80s, I remember a friend of a friend running this for a Greek Dead show....wish I had it now.

I have a Phish tape from the Greek with a 30' split and it sounds amazing:
10/29/98  Greek Theater  MG300's split 30' 

Unfortunately it's marred by some diginoise so I've never transferred it from the DAT.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2007, 12:34:27 PM »

I have a Phish tape from the Greek with a 30' split and it sounds amazing:
10/29/98  Greek Theater  MG300's split 30' 

Unfortunately it's marred by some diginoise so I've never transferred it from the DAT.

different Greek - the Phish tape is from the Greek in LA, not Berkely
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com