Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-44wl (Handheld recorder with iOS and Android control)  (Read 15895 times)

Offline refrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
TASCAM DR-44wl (Handheld recorder with iOS and Android control)
« on: September 15, 2014, 01:06:48 PM »
It seems like a DR-40 with remote control via smartphone.
They say the XY mics are better and bigger (regarding the DR-40)
and the preamps are low noise (regarding the DR-40)...

http://tascam.com/product/dr-44wl/
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), DIY Primo 172 48v matched stereo, Sony ECM 55B (Lav), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rode Blimp II, sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-44wl (Handheld recorder with iOS and Android control)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
So unfortunate they've abandoned the idea of external four track, like the Tascam 2D. Would love this recorder with just an extra 1/8" input to bypass the internal mics.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 11:03:42 PM »
Looks like the 44wl is $299 and the 22wl is $149.  The 22wl is 2 channel, with 3.5 stereo line in.  I guessed at levels this evening and just left my 2d on the stage.  Lucked out this time, but the ability to change levels via wifi would sure solve a lot of issues.  Maybe I need to return that 60d I just bought for $149.99?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 12:15:19 AM »
I second the motion.
Dr2d sized 6ch recorder with remote app control please.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »
Tascam's news release also said they have some other new products to release soon.  Maybe your motion will be granted.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 11:28:20 AM »
Hear hear!

I vote Aye.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:42:25 AM »
I may get the 4 track one. How are the dr 40 preamps? Are they good enough that I could run my akgs and have it sound good at the end? Or is the two track version a better call?

This is really sick!
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
Tascam's description of the preamps in these WL units makes me think it is an entirely new design so we don't know how they are yet.

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:19:47 PM »
Once they launch the app I will get the 2 track one.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 10:18:05 AM »
So unfortunate they've abandoned the idea of external four track, like the Tascam 2D. Would love this recorder with just an extra 1/8" input to bypass the internal mics.

The 60-D still has the ability to record 4 tracks externally.
These new products are promising but I  miss the flexibilty of the 2D.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »
Oh man, remote control via smartphone? I've been wondering what the next advancement would be. Love this concept, especially with the ability to monitor. Now I'm glad I waited on my next recorder purchase (almost pulled the trigger on a HS-P82), I will definitely wait for the 6 or 8 track version with this feature.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »
I wish Tascam had been imaginative enough not to use "R-44" as part of the name.

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 12:01:08 AM »

The 60-D still has the ability to record 4 tracks externally.
These new products are promising but I  miss the flexibilty of the 2D.

Yea but the 60D is a much larger device, different market than these handhelds.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »
That thing is pretty sweet but if I read correctly the only 4 channel mode is with the internal mics on two channels & with the additional two inputs? Too bad, the ability to record two channels with 1/8" & two XLR like the 60D would be awesome.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 10:44:45 PM »

This omission by Tascam makes me wonder if Tascam just doesn't read TS because it seems pretty obvious that the taper community would have gone nuts over two 1/8 inputs and two XLR inputs with ios and android control.   :facepalm:

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 10:34:05 AM »
"The streaming playback function is intended for checking audio that has already been recorded. "  Playback, not monitoring.

Offline yltfan

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 04:32:12 PM »
"The streaming playback function is intended for checking audio that has already been recorded. "  Playback, not monitoring.

Bummer. But I'm still exciting about remote start/stop, levels, etc.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 08:13:56 PM »
Then again, why do they say "Plug headphones into your smartphone and listen to a near-realtime feed from the recorder" - if it's just playback, why mention "near-realtime"?  Odd.  Still, in a great many recording situations, I find the only real way to check the sound is via a quick playback when that's convenient, as even with well isolated headphones, it's hard to get the real picture if you are monitoring during recording anywhere near the sound source.

Looking a few years ahead, I would have thought there would be no technical reason why a number of such recorders could not be synced together with some kind of wifi clocking, so you could make a multitrack recording of a band without needing any mic cables or central recorder.

By the way - you can remote monitor a recording device via a bluetooth link up to about 150 feet using the devices described in this post -

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2316113

The transmitter runs on usb power so it would not be hard to use a small battery pack for that. 

Using such a link you could even use one recorder just as a mic and record at a distance on another one.  People rubbish bluetooth sound, but with good quality gear at each end it's actually no disaster imho.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:22:48 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »
This is nothing new! The only thing new is the fact it is in a "disposable" recorder like this trashcan - the sound devices 788 introduced these features over 5 years ago and there have been wifi enabled tablet based controls for sound boards for over 10 years
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 07:07:47 AM »
That technology is called FM radio; you may need a longer antenna but the quality is far superior to Bluetooth.
I suspect you'd quickly get into licencing issues trying to use FM.  And if FM was any good, they wouldn't have invented digital radio, would they?  :)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 08:20:19 AM »
That technology is called FM radio; you may need a longer antenna but the quality is far superior to Bluetooth.
I suspect you'd quickly get into licencing issues trying to use FM.  And if FM was any good, they wouldn't have invented digital radio, would they?  :)

Jon - you were talking about FM as a short-distance transmission method, not comparing to broadcast FM radio, yes? 

I don't know about digital radio being much better than FM (I had a frustrating experience with Sirius several years ago), but Bluetooth audio can sound very good if you're using the A2DP or AptX codecs.  I use AptX to stream from my phone to my car system, and the compression scheme is good enough that I don't hear its effects - really I don't hear any difference between that and using a wired connection.  I also suspect that the DAC in my car stereo may be superior to the one in my phone.  There's also AptX Lossless which will do up to 24/96 lossless streaming, but not many devices support it yet.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 12:33:31 PM »
wireless distributed Wordclock.

I've wondered for years about that.  Send transport control along too.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »
Understood. Wireless wordclock sync alone could be more simply implemented in external devices unspecific to the recorder, as long as the recorder has WC.  I could see that provided by a Naiant box.  I'd been thinking of it as manufacturer implemented and integrated within a particular family of recording devices.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »
People rubbish bluetooth sound, but with good quality gear at each end it's actually no disaster imho.

I suspect that I should back that up with some kind of test, which would be pretty easy using the rig I described.  Play a CD through the BT transmitter, record it from the BT receiver, and note the difference (subjectively and also check any restriction of frequency response, though of course there's more to it than that).  If I do it I'll start another thread as  it's completely OT here, oops!

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 09:27:33 AM »
A thought occurs to me (for once) - given that every purchaser of these devices is highly likely to download the remote app, then we'll see the number downloaded on the app store sites which will give an interesting insight into how well these devices sell.

They've already sold at least one - I've pre-ordered.

DF81

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 08:28:01 PM »
Digital input as well as mini analog would be great.

Tascam has shown the pay attention to feedback with the vast improvements of the DR-100 and DR-100 MK2.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 08:46:15 PM »
A thought occurs to me (for once) - given that every purchaser of these devices is highly likely to download the remote app, then we'll see the number downloaded on the app store sites which will give an interesting insight into how well these devices sell.

They've already sold at least one - I've pre-ordered.

What features made you order and how do you intend to use it?  I have the impression you already own several portable recorders.  Why this one, too?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 01:27:25 AM »
What features made you order and how do you intend to use it?  I have the impression you already own several portable recorders.  Why this one, too?

That sounds like the kind of question my wife asks!  I may not have made it clear that it's the DR-22 model I have ordered, by the way.

Well, the current stable is an R44, a M10, a D60, an ICD-SX750, an H2N, and an H2 (unless I'm forgetting something, and don't get me listing the MD recorders!).

I do plan to part with one or two of these. 

The R44 is a keeper, used for serious recording. 

I have a love-hate relationship with the M10 because of the poor stereo image from the built in mics. It's great in all other departments.   However the SX750 got damaged recently (hold switch broken) and that leaves me looking for something to plug my Edirol in-ear mics into - the M10 is the obvious candidate, but of course the DR-22 would do the job, though it's not so pocketable.  So there's a big questionmark over the M10 but it might survive the cull.

The D60 was purchased to go with a DSLR I use for video, but when it comes down to it, I'm not actually using the camera much these days, and the D60 hasn't actually been used in anger, so it's very likely to go (for a fraction of its purchase price - I bought it on release, the price subsequently dropped of course, and there's a new lower cost model about to be released).

The H2N was purchased because I like the idea of "a mic that records", which is what it looks like.  The H2 could produce surprisingly good results and I'd hoped that the H2N was going to be significantly better, but while its multi-capsule layout with MS capability suits my mic technique tastes very well, at the end of the day I'm not sure that it produces radically better results than the earlier model - but still, its larger display screen and simpler control scheme recommends it, and I'm happy to keep it in my fleet.  The H2 itself is too battered to be worth putting up for sale, and it can still come in handy for odd jobs (eg as a temporary and very effective input mic for my wife's Dragon Naturally Speaking when her headset died).

So, having said all that, why the DR-22?  Well, first and foremost the wifi control feature really seems to raise many totally new possibilities.  I like the idea of using a mic that records controlled from a distance, rather than having a mic-only in front of performers, tethered by a long wire to a remote recorder.  Safely routing mic cables is a tedious business, and any way to avoid that when circumstances are right is very welcome.  And there are some locations where there is simply no way to run a cable from where the recorder has to be, to where the mic has to be.  Also, one can do nature recording stuff like putting the recorder close (but not too close) to a birds nest or whatever, and then retiring to a respectful distance to record.

Of course if the sound of the DR-22 mics is dire, then the plan falls at the first fence, but I'm a born optimist.  Also, being a well-known critic of the M10 omni mics, the DR-22 cardioids will be nice to have in a broadly similar package.  (I'm trying to ignore the fact that I could use the H2N when it comes down to it).  And the up-to-date general feature set of the DR-22 provides some further attractions.  There's already a firmware update to provide metronome functions (not actually that interesting to me) and hopefully we will see further developments in due course.

And lastly, like most here - I like new stuff.  And if I sell the M10 and the D60, even cheaply, it'll be covered, and I'll be immune to questions from my wife, or my fellow forum members.  :)  No, seriously, it was a very good question and hopefully the long answer is of interest.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »
thanks.   Your perspective appears similar to mine. 

I just bought the DR60 when it hit $149.99 about a month ago with rebate, but too late to return it.  Now I'm wishing I had known about the DR22 WL before buying just for the ability to control levels without being tethered to cables that can be a trip hazard. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 06:11:52 PM »
Looks like there's at least one DR-22 in the wild - in the comments on this site -

http://cheesycam.com/control-new-tascam-dr-22wl-dr-44wl-audio-recorders-over-wi-fi/

Has anyone been able to get the wifi playback to work? I can get DR-22 to connect to the iPhone app and can control it from there (levels aren’t very fluid, but ok). But no sound from the app when recording (near-realtime or otherwise) and the ‘Play’ button in the app actually makes the *recorder* play out of its tiny speaker rather than streaming any audio to the iPhone. Basically defeating the whole purpose.

Recorder is updated to 1.11 for main fw, 1.01 for wifi fw, DR Control app is latest 1.0.4.

I can send files from the recorder over to the iPhone app, but that’s of limited utility for me personally. I need *monitoring*.

I  suspect this is operator failure - the user hasn't turned off the speaker in the settings, and so it's dutifully using the speaker for playback.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 09:16:36 PM »
The review I want to read is your review and comparison to the M10 and DR60 when you get your unit. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 03:09:43 AM »
The review I want to read is your review and comparison to the M10 and DR60 when you get your unit.
Don't hold your breath - I'm in Australia and didn't stump up for fast delivery.  But of course I'll do my best to review / answer questions in due course.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 06:21:02 PM »
Huh.  Amazon have just cancelled my order and changed shipping policy to "not Australia".  That means that I may not be able to cost-justify this as it will incur what we call the Australia Tax here (stuff being sold locally for much higher prices than in USA).

Update - I've now re-ordered from Sweetwater on eBay for about $20 less than my Amazon order, so their cancellation has turned out to be a good thing.  And delivery is due about 2 weeks earlier (Friday week or subsequent days).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:28:49 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 10:50:39 PM »
Well, the first user review on Amazon is up, and it's one star.  The purchaser complains that the sound quality seems "less sharp" which could mean anything, but more significantly he comments that the remote app is nothing like advertised.  Here he may have a point - on the app download page for Android, the description says that it's a beta version with missing features, which is a bit poor from a company like Tascam.  I've installed it in anticipation, and when I run it, all I get is a message in Japanese (or something) and a single button to click, which then exits the app.

Now that could be simply because the app can tell that I'm not connected to a Tascam wifi network, but an error message in English would have been more helpful. 

Anyway, now the app is installed it will update itself as Tascam gets its act together - hopefully - with any missing features added.

UPdate - having looked at the comments on the iOS app store, it's necessary to update the device and its wifi firmware before using the app.  This could be why users are having problems.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:16:21 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »
My 22 arrived today.  Definitely need to update firmware for unit and wifi.  It was buggy before I did so.

Just a quick test of my speakers on my desk.  I don't think the on board mics are that bad.  The speaker on the 22 sucks  :P  Hook up the desk speakers to the 22 and what I recorded sounded fine.  I'm more interested in this thing to setup at my kids school band concerts.  And the combine HS and MS jazz concert.  I'll probably use the on board mics.  MS concert is this coming Tuesday and I'll give it a shot.  I'll have better seats at the HS auditorium  ;D  We'll see.  I used the M10 and it's on board mics last year and it worked fine.

Adjusting the level on the iPhone isn't too bad.  Not sure what 90 is but it's as high as it will go.  The dial on the unit will turn continuously until you hit either 90 or 0.  Meaning hit 90 and it keeps turning.

Gotta go.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 11:03:22 PM »
I've now looked more carefully at the iOS and Android app illustrations and indeed most of the remote functions are missing from the Android version at the moment, which is a bit silly given that users will downrate their reviews accordingly.  They should have delayed release until they could deliver what their own site promises.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2014, 08:53:21 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IQ3_BUyIzA - end user review on youtube (haven't actually looked at it myself yet!)

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 04:15:21 AM »
There's a broadly complimentary review in this month's issue of 'Sound On Sound'. You can't see the digital version for a few more months yet without a subscription.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 10:39:41 AM »
Then again, why do they say "Plug headphones into your smartphone and listen to a near-realtime feed from the recorder" - if it's just playback, why mention "near-realtime"?  Odd.  Still, in a great many recording situations, I find the only real way to check the sound is via a quick playback when that's convenient, as even with well isolated headphones, it's hard to get the real picture if you are monitoring during recording anywhere near the sound source.

I suggest tossing the headphones and getting a pair of good in-ear monitors. I bought the low end Shure se215 for about $100us for mixing bands for live radio broadcast and they are great! Better than my Sennheiser Pro 280 headphones and my High Isolation headphones by far. Far easier to pack too. The only drawback is they aren't as easy to take on and off.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.209 seconds with 67 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com