Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D Firmware Update Requests  (Read 25144 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: TASCAM DR-70D FAQ / RECOMMENDED SETTINGS
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2015, 09:03:27 PM »
As much as the discussion thread has already grown to the point that one can't find anything in it without a determined effort and given the rapid growth in this one, I think it would serve us well to delete or move some of the discussion here to the discussion thread and keep the FAQ short. 

Feel free to delete any of my posts in this thread, BTW.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »
As much as the discussion thread has already grown to the point that one can't find anything in it without a determined effort and given the rapid growth in this one, I think it would serve us well to delete or move some of the discussion here to the discussion thread and keep the FAQ short. 

Agreed on moving the discussion to the main thread.  I'll modify the FAQ to suggest this.

About deleting posts, that's going to be up to each user to do on his/her own.  Only the mods have the ability to delete other users' posts, I believe.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
Pretty sure a mod can merge the two threads...
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2015, 10:12:22 PM »

Agreed on moving the discussion to the main thread.  I'll modify the FAQ to suggest this.

About deleting posts, that's going to be up to each user to do on his/her own.  Only the mods have the ability to delete other users' posts, I believe.

What really needs to happen is a massive site renovation...like why not just have a TASCAM forum? - and don't do these 25 page posts on all facets of one piece of gear. The search engine would work better. Info would be more easily found and have longer shelf life in the forum.

We have 7 Nakamichi threads that contain good info - but are really hard to back track on and locate specific stuff, because its all trapped in one topic.

Sorry - I'll stop now - I've long had a beef with the sites organization/intent/outcome...

stevetoney

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 08:44:23 AM »
I've long had a beef with the sites organization/intent/outcome...

You mean ever since you registered last October? 

(Sorry LIR, if you hadn't called me a smart ass a couple of days ago, I'd have let this one slide, but the snark in me just couldn't look the other way on this one.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:11:35 AM by tonedeaf »

stevetoney

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 09:03:35 AM »
My input on the current issue is that etiquette should cause people, including those that are responding to this current subject, to go to the general thread and post there.  However, if the OP wanted the FAQ to remain 'clean' or a static thing then it could have been a locked thread...OP can unlock to add information as necessary.  Otherwise, the FAQ gets updated in the OP announce the way he has been, so is it a big deal if people post onto the thread?

That said, a potential solution would be to start yet another NEW thread which includes only the up-to-date FAQ and lock it.  Then rename this thread something like 'suggested inputs to DR70D FAQ'.  Or something like that.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2015, 09:05:35 AM »

(Sorry LIR, if you hadn't called me a smart ass a couple of days ago, I'd have let this one slide, but the snark in me just couldn't look the other way on this one.)

Yeah - thanks - this is my 4-5th membership here - I go back to when everybody was excited about the JB3...

stevetoney

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2015, 09:10:42 AM »

Yeah - thanks - this is my 4-5th membership here - I go back to when everybody was excited about the JB3...

I figured.  I've been around since way before I was active.  But funny you mention the JB3 because I think researching the JB3 was one of the first reasons I REALLY felt a need to research this site.  I was using a hi-MD Sony before then and was looking for upgrade options.  Seems crazy now.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2015, 09:16:59 AM »
My input on the current issue is that etiquette should cause people, including those that are responding to this current subject, to go to the general thread and post there.  However, if the OP wanted the FAQ to remain 'clean' or a static thing then it could have been a locked thread...OP can unlock to add information as necessary.  Otherwise, the FAQ gets updated in the OP announce the way he has been, so is it a big deal if people post onto the thread?

That said, a potential solution would be to start yet another NEW thread which includes only the up-to-date FAQ and lock it.  Then rename this thread something like 'suggested inputs to DR70D FAQ'.  Or something like that.

If the site owners would respect the hierarchy of information - there would be gear specific forums - and the "DR-70D FAQ" would be a sticky post that would be maintained by one person.

Questions about battery life (for example) should have their own post...not stuffed in some general thread...questions about phantom power should have their own thread (good job Bean!)

Under "Recording Gear" - There should be sub-forums for Sound Devices, TASCAM, ZOOM...Similar sub-forums in the Microphones section would be nice too.

We also need to discourage these Gear Team threads - They arent even in the Technical Help section...genius!

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2015, 11:13:26 AM »
Not sure if this can be done in a firmware update, but it would be great if the gain knobs could be used to adjust the playback volume of individual tracks when listening back to a file.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

stevetoney

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2015, 12:03:49 PM »
Not sure if this can be done in a firmware update, but it would be great if the gain knobs could be used to adjust the playback volume of individual tracks when listening back to a file.

I'm not sure if it's problemmatic to the above, but the volume control on the headphone monitor isn't from the front knobs...it's from the pot on the side which seems like it's probably analog.     

Nevertheless...and if you don't mind me stacking a couple of requests on top of yours.

The output monitoring capability of any four channel recorder should IMHO allow for monitoring individual channels.  To me, this MIX function is fairly useless without the ability to monitor individual channels.  What I'd like is menu selectability that allows any single channel to be routed to any output (like the SD744).  I'd also like to send one channel to multiple output channels if I want to so that I can REALLY listen to a single channel if I'm having problems.  At the very minimum, as others have already mentioned, we should be able to monitor in stereo pairs...1 and 2 or 3 and 4 so that you can at least listen through one side of your headphones what you're getting from each channel.

In other words, any four channel recorder should IMHO have rudimentary output mixing capability.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:17:42 PM by tonedeaf »

stevetoney

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2015, 12:31:58 PM »

If the site owners would respect the hierarchy of information - there would be gear specific forums - and the "DR-70D FAQ" would be a sticky post that would be maintained by one person.

Questions about battery life (for example) should have their own post...not stuffed in some general thread...questions about phantom power should have their own thread (good job Bean!)

Under "Recording Gear" - There should be sub-forums for Sound Devices, TASCAM, ZOOM...Similar sub-forums in the Microphones section would be nice too.

We also need to discourage these Gear Team threads - They arent even in the Technical Help section...genius!

I like it. 

Do you think a reason we don't do something like this is that the more sub-forums there are, the more oversight for maintenance is needed?  I don't know, but just saying that this site is almost completely unmoderated, so perhaps the more detailed or more branches/layers in the heirarchy there are would require more people to be able to maintain the information that goes into those locations (these are more questions than statements). 

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2015, 12:40:15 PM »

I like it. 

Do you think a reason we don't do something like this is that the more sub-forums there are, the more oversight for maintenance is needed?  I don't know, but just saying that this site is almost completely unmoderated, so perhaps the more detailed or more branches/layers in the heirarchy there are would require more people to be able to maintain the information that goes into those locations (these are more questions than statements).

Im going to start a thread in the Site Suggestions - lets not do it here - sorry to go OT.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »

I'm not sure if it's problemmatic to the above, but the volume control on the headphone monitor isn't from the front knobs...it's from the pot on the side which seems like it's probably analog.     

Yeah, I'm talking about being able to choose which channels will play back and also adjust their levels with the front knobs before the signal gets to the analog headphone pot.

And, yes I agree it would be great to at least be able to send channels 1&2 through the headphone out and 3&4 through the line out.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2015, 05:39:11 PM »

Nevertheless...and if you don't mind me stacking a couple of requests on top of yours.

The output monitoring capability of any four channel recorder should IMHO allow for monitoring individual channels.  To me, this MIX function is fairly useless without the ability to monitor individual channels.  What I'd like is menu selectability that allows any single channel to be routed to any output (like the SD744).  I'd also like to send one channel to multiple output channels if I want to so that I can REALLY listen to a single channel if I'm having problems.  At the very minimum, as others have already mentioned, we should be able to monitor in stereo pairs...1 and 2 or 3 and 4 so that you can at least listen through one side of your headphones what you're getting from each channel.

In other words, any four channel recorder should IMHO have rudimentary output mixing capability.
I wouldn't hold your breath on getting Sound Devices-level of channel routing functions, even though the Blackfin DSP chip probably is more than capable of it.  The selectable stereo pair monitoring has been in the FAQ from the beginning. :)
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com