Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Opinions wanted: AKG414XLS/ST vs. Schoeps MK4 / CMC6  (Read 4287 times)

Offline branas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Opinions wanted: AKG414XLS/ST vs. Schoeps MK4 / CMC6
« on: October 27, 2006, 01:23:06 PM »
Ok, so first off I know I am trying to compare LD's to a non-LD mic, but, here's the deal. I am intrigued by both options. Either will obviously be way ahead of what I am running now. I will be using these mic's when not taping in the studio, probably as drum overheads. Given that info, what would you do? Do not factor price into the equation. If this is a stupid question / comparison, just say so and I'll shut up.

Also, I am currently considering purchasing a used pair of the MK4's with CMC bodies for $1500, but the seller (not a ts.com member) cannot verify if they are a matched pair, but did provide this to me:

One was engraved at the factory: RADIO_CANADA 805564 OP6006519
and the other is factory engraved: SRC-RADIO 910118 OP6006519.

So I am wondering if because the last set of numbers match, does this mean they are a matched pair? Thanks for any help!!!

BTW, the aforementioned Schoeps have a questionable background as they were purchased at a pawn shop in Canada, but, it really seems like a good deal, no?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 02:27:21 PM by branas »
Mobile - C414B-XLS/ST->V3->744T
Home/Studio - Various Mics->RNP/Vintech Dual72/Focusrite OctoPre->Digi002->ProToolsLE

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: Opinions wanted: AKG414BxlII vs. Schoeps MK4 / CMC6
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 02:22:54 PM »
well if you are going to use them for drums then what you want is the AKG 414XLS not the II. the later is a vocal mic with a bump in the frequency range (i forget off hand exactly what range)

The 414XLS/ST is the stereo matched pair from the factory. I own these mics and cannot be happier with them. I cannot comment on the schoeps as I have not had personal experience with them
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline branas

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Opinions wanted: AKG414XLS/ST vs. Schoeps MK4 / CMC6
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 02:28:09 PM »
Thanks for the info on the model #'s. Topic's subject has been updated.  :)
Home/Studio - Various Mics->RNP/Vintech Dual72/Focusrite OctoPre->Digi002->ProToolsLE

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 04:18:01 PM »
overall i think the cmc6/mk4/41 combo can be very bass heavy and i do not care for them too much on most types of music. the akg's have 4 more patterns than the single cap option with the schoeps, so i would without a doubt go the akg XLS route, they sound very open and airy and also pack a LF bomb occassionally, but the bass isnt overbearing like the schoeps are TO MY EARS

comb the archive.org and listen to multiple recordings of both
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 08:09:35 AM »
That's a sweet deal on those schoeps. I wouldn't worry too much about the matching. I run the same mics so I'm partial to that flavor. However, the 414's would sound nice. IMO that's too good of a deal on those schoeps to pass up.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline branas

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 03:20:35 PM »
I think I have decided to go with the AKG's, they will work well in the studio as well as for taping, and the multipattern options, etc will be cheaper in the long run on the 414's. Thanks!

easy jim

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 03:34:17 PM »
I think I have decided to go with the AKG's, they will work well in the studio as well as for taping, and the multipattern options, etc will be cheaper in the long run on the 414's. Thanks!

The 414s are better IMO as all arounds, especially considering the multiple pattern options.  And, for most studio applications, they are stellar mics.  However, they are also not the most appropriate as drum overheads.  Small diaphragm condensors, specifically something like AKG 451s or the like (which do have a high frequency bump in the cymbal range) would do a better job as overheads than the 414s. 

Offline grider

• always give more than you take
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 04:06:42 PM »
these mics are at pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum, for obvious reasons, cost, large versus small diaphram, multiple patterns versus single pattern, resalability, flat/transparent AKG sound versus Schoeps colored sound, so the choice between these mics should not be hard

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 05:50:23 PM »
Depends on the sound you are looking for.  Download some recordings of each one off archive.org or bt.etree.org and let your ears decide.  I really don't care too much for the AKG 414 mics; it sounds like tubular bells or something.  The Schoeps are nice; I would run them if Microtech Gefell never existed.  My issue with the Schoeps is often that they are far too muscular and present for what the music is.  I sometimes think that I am listening more to the microphone than to the music itself with the Schoeps.

That is a really good price on the Schoeps, but you are correct to have some hesitation about the lineage of those mics.  You don't know exactly what you are getting.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.239 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com