Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 720p video with Canon SX200 point-and-shoot  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Roger_D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
720p video with Canon SX200 point-and-shoot
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:12:59 PM »
First a little background: I've been shooting stereo (3D) photography for a number of years, the last two years with a pair of Canon A650s mounted side-by-side and synchronized with a customized version of CHDK, called StereoDataMaker. (CHDK is a hack for many Canon point-and-shoot cameras that loads from the SD card and replaces the firmware to add a lot of cool features like motion detection and lets you run Basic scripts to do things like exposure and focus bracketing and time-lapses. It also adds a remote trigger through the USB port, which was adapted by SDM to fire two or more cameras with a high degree of synchronization, which you need for action stereo photos. I typically get 1/15000th to 1/20000th sec synch with the A650s, a small fraction of the exposure time, so shots almost always look perfectly synched.)

Anyway, when I started taping local bands a few months ago with a Zoom H4n, I thought it would be fun to do some YouTube videos with the A650s shooting 640x480 video, which they do reasonably well. I put one on a tall tripod near the sound board and carry the other on a monopod.

It's been a lot of fun so I've been thinking of getting a pair of Canon HD camcorders. But when I saw that the $300 SX200 and the $200 SD780 shoot 720p 30fps video (and also shoot 12mp image-stabilized stills and can run CHDK/SDM), I decided to get a pair of SX200s and give them a try as video cameras. Following is a sample, shot in very bad stage light -- low level and lots of red -- in case anyone here has been curious about what you might be able to do with these cheap P&S cameras:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVZ91Mtg-sw&hd=1

I haven't shot any bands in better light yet, but of course the cameras do much better with good lighting. I think they're fine for YouTube HD videos, and I was pleased enough with the results that I now have an SD780 on the way to add a third camera. (Adorama has refurbs for $150 with a 1 year warranty, which puts them in about the same price range as the Flips and clones, but I'm expecting it to beat the crap out of a Flip.) It's an ELPH-sized camera with the same CCD and processor as the SX200, just fewer features. If it turns out to be a decent camera, I'll get a second one so I can shoot 4-camera video and also have a very compact stereo pair. It's possible to shoot 3D video with either pair, but with video the synching is hit-and-miss in the current version of SDM (and when it's not good then 3D videos with a lot of action can be hard on the eyes), but the developer is trying to find a way to make it better.

One limitation with the stock cameras is that you can't zoom while shooting video: Canon disables the zoom because the motor records very loudly on the videos. However, CHDK/SDM provides an over-ride for that and lets you zoom, and since I'm not using the sound track from the cameras anyway, the motor noise is not a problem. (The zoom is a bit fast for my taste, so I don't really use it a lot. I do, however, use a lot of digital panning and zooming in the edit to make the videos a little less stagnant, especially for the camera that I'm not controlling. Even though the image is degraded a bit, I like the slowness and steadiness you can get, and I can also give more thought to how and when to use it than I seem to be capable of when I'm shooting.  :P)

Of course, if you need 1080p for Blu-ray video, then these won't do, but for now I'm only interested in doing YouTube videos and 720p is the most you can make use of. Considering that I got the pair of SX200s for what I was expecting to pay for one Canon camcorder, and as a bonus I've got a new stereo camera rig that shoots great 12mp stills, I'm a happy camper.  :D

Offline parker

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: 720p video with Canon SX200 point-and-shoot
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:45:48 AM »
Hi parker here.I read all the report in detail.Its so much interesting and informative.the general information are so good.I book mark it and mail all of my friends to must check and got information here.so thanks on this nice sharing.
read 70-646 learn 70-647 & 70-648 get success 70-649

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 09:06:11 AM »
good stuff man. video looks great even for very low light. I have been in the market for a new P&S as my canon powershot s70 recently died on a fishing trip to canada (must have gotten moisture in it or something its giving me an E18 error when turning on now). These are two cams I have yet to look into! thanks much for the info and great sample!

Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline asmusu2

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Steen's profile
    • Asmus U2
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:32:45 PM »
hi,

it it possible to get manual focus on the video, after you have installed the chdk-firmware?

Or do you know if it allready have that option ?

I have the sx210 though, so the chdk-firmware is not an option for me yet.

Hope you have help.

Best wishes

Steen

Offline Phlaxduphlydian

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:31:21 AM »
Whatever happened to your latest project, Roger_D?  Were the SD780s useful for your purposes?  Did you find them satisfactory or have you sent them back? 

I tend to dislike that model despite the jewel-like design, colours and pocketable girth.  The digital zoom, wretchedly bad sound and bleed of motor noise onto the audio had dissuaded me from further interest -- until your post. 

Still:-- since you often synch your Zoom to point and shoots for sound, the 780s might still work quite a charm for you.

A photographer friend with an antique 3D camera is going to find your posts interesting.  I've forwarded the link.

Cheers,

Phlyd
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:37:15 AM by Phlaxduphlydian »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com