Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: neumann LC3 vs. LC3KA  (Read 2883 times)

Offline drewski1986

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
neumann LC3 vs. LC3KA
« on: December 30, 2010, 09:14:35 PM »
I've read a little about the differences, but am still not sure.  Is there an advantage to one over the other?  Also if I had a set of LC3's could I replace them with LC3KA's if I needed to at some point in the future (do they fit all km 100's)??  Thanks for any information.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: neumann LC3 vs. LC3KA
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 01:00:05 AM »
My impression (I don't have this from any inside source) is that by eliminating one pair of connectors in a low-level audio circuit, Neumann hoped to reduce the KM 100 system's vulnerability to radio frequency interference while simultaneously simplifying production and cutting costs.

The great proliferation of cell phones, beepers and Blackberries began years after the KM 100 series was introduced, and Neumann, like any other serious manufacturer of microphones for the professional market, has had to go through a certain amount of research and re-engineering as a result. At one point during this process a paper was read at an Audio Engineering Society convention which showed that many studio microphones of today have rather poor immunity to interference from the type of signals that cell phones, pagers and Blackberries put out. The paper didn't identify the manufacturers or models of microphones that were tested, but its authors did make that information available to the respective manufacturers, and Neumann's microphones reportedly had a range of different results--some of their models were among the best that were tested, while others were closer to the opposite end of the curve.

For the sake of fairness, since I do translation and editorial work for Schoeps: Certain aspects of the CMC 6-- amplifier were re-engineered a number of years ago for the very same reasons. And Schoeps is open about the fact that in cases of very severe RF interference (e.g. when a radio or TV studio is in the same building with the station's transmitter), their CCM (compact microphone) series could be preferable to the use of Colette capsules and active cables.

--best regards
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 01:02:08 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 07:05:34 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Does anyone using the older model (LC3's) experience cell phone interference at shows?  I'm considering buying an older set.  Currently I am using KM184's and have never to my knowledge had any problem with cell phone interference.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Does anyone using the older model (LC3's) experience cell phone interference at shows?  I'm considering buying an older set.  Currently I am using KM184's and have never to my knowledge had any problem with cell phone interference.

I'm sure you realize this, but to be clear the LC3 and LC3KA won't work with the 184s. You would need to buy a set of 140s if you want to have a card with a remote capsule.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »
^^ I do.  I'm considering replacing the 184's with the 140/150 active setup.

Offline burris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Your favorite mics suck.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 03:07:28 PM »
I've been running the old LC3 (with female lemo embedded in the KA100 that screws onto the output stage) for 15 years and I've never heard any sort of interference whatsoever on my recordings.  I frequently have the cables stuffed into the same pocket as my phone and there are always people crowded around my gear.  However, if I intentionally try to get interference I can pick it up if I stick my phone right up against the connectors or capsule heads and send a txt.

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »
just to clarify, the older LC3s require a pair of the old KA100 cables to make a complete active cable set for current KM100 bodies and capsules.  the LC3 has a female Lemo connector, and the KA-100 has a male Lemo - you connect those two parts to make a complete active cable.  the newer LC3-KA is a complete cable, which has the LC3 body connector on one end and the KA capsule connector on the other end, with no Lemo connectors inthe middle.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com