Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anybody interested in remastering Rival Sons + The Brew UK tapes ? (blues/rock)  (Read 2266 times)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Hi,

I absolutely have no knowledge nor adapted software and playback system to work on improving the sound of my tapes.

The fact is that I have two tapes from two recent blues/rock concerts I attended that turned out to be decent.
When listening back to them on a good pair of headset (I have Sennheiser Momentum's), the sound is already pretty enjoiable. On the other hand, when playing them back on my car stereo or on my hi-fi, the listening experience is just not as good...

I guess it's mostly because of the poor stereo rendition with spaced speakers (2 cardioid caps mounted on my head while recording; kind of a binaural-style mount).

So I'm looking for a blues/rock fan that also has some skills in remastering to improve those two recordings.
Here's a link to two mp3 samples : http://uplea.com/dl/749E79012F34907

If you like Led Zeppelin and you never heard about Rival Sons nor The Brew UK, I think it's time to give them a listen.
Both band shows amazing musicianship. It's funny how both have the same influences (60/70's blues/rock acts) and yet each provide a different sound.
To me, they are equally as good and are the best rock bands in activity.

Please PM me if you'd like to help. 24/48 master wav files available on demand. Both shows available on Dime (16/44 versions).
Many thanks :)

fandelive

Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
I did give your samples a spin and suspect some eq is what might get these more where you want them.  I think the proximate cause is basically your mics, which have a thin sort of sonic profile, so the "body" or "weight" is missing.  They came out pretty clean and don't seem to be ruined by crowd or distortion so there may be something there to find. 

You may just want to learn by trial if you don't get any takers (surprised there aren't some "remasterers" on DIME chomping at the bit but you may get interest there, though whether they're qualified or not is a different question).  Having been at the show you know what the sound crew thought they should sound like and may be able to apply some moderate eq to get these more where you'd like them. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
^ I agree that you might want to just mess with it and see what you can learn trial and error wise.  That's the best way to learn to use EQ (if you ask me)...  I'm happy to give it a look if you want as I love Rival Sons

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
I did give your samples a spin and suspect some eq is what might get these more where you want them.  I think the proximate cause is basically your mics, which have a thin sort of sonic profile, so the "body" or "weight" is missing.  They came out pretty clean and don't seem to be ruined by crowd or distortion so there may be something there to find. 

You may just want to learn by trial [...]

Thank you for replying.

In fact, I already tried to work on those recordings using T-Racks and iZotope Ozone. It's hard to get honorable results when you can't point what the actual problem is.
I was thinking about stereo issues (tried all kind of stereo enhancement plug-ins without being satisfied with the results) and you feel like it's more about EQ'ing. I'm not experimented at all so I'm going to follow your advice and try some EQ. I could manage to bring back a bit of body or weight by adding some mids I think...

And yes, the raw recordings are already pretty good sounding. No crowd chatters, no distortion, good clarity. I'm better at finding a great spot at the venue than at performing post-production :D
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com