Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audacity plugins?  (Read 3531 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
audacity plugins?
« on: October 30, 2014, 02:09:42 AM »
anyone have some useful plugins to pass around?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: audacity plugins?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »
I've been thinking of writing some.  What are you looking for?

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:04:42 PM »
I've been thinking of writing some.  What are you looking for?

a declicker that actually worked would be nice.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
I'd be so happy if it had real-time EQ. 

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:59:49 PM »
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/VST_Plug-ins 

I don't do much with audacity, but I seem to remember that it can run some VST plug ins.  The wiki has a list of them.  I don't know if you can use one of the EQ plugins in real time or if you have to deal with it as an effect that has to process first before it will run.  Reaper, for example, will process the plugin in real time and might be worth considering. 

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 12:08:35 PM »
I see Ambience is on the wiki list - it's a really nice reverb plugin. 

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:40:54 PM »

I don't do much with audacity, but I seem to remember that it can run some VST plug ins.  The wiki has a list of them.  I don't know if you can use one of the EQ plugins in real time or if you have to deal with it as an effect that has to process first before it will run.  Reaper, for example, will process the plugin in real time and might be worth considering.

I downloaded Reaper awhile back, and the features look great, but it also looked way too complicated for me.  I think the learning curve would involve more time than I have available to learn it, even though I think I would produce better recordings with it.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 01:12:22 PM »
I'd be so happy if it had real-time plugin support.

fyp. That's the real issue, it won't pass data through the plug out to the monitor routing. It's process or bust, and the "preview" function blows. It's one of the few modern editors that does that so I abandoned ship a couple years ago for that reason, I just use it to track on sector boundaries anymore.

I downloaded Reaper awhile back, and the features look great, but it also looked way too complicated for me.  I think the learning curve would involve more time than I have available to learn it, even though I think I would produce better recordings with it.

A solid weekend with Reaper is about all it takes to learn it. Audacity works great for just tracking and amplification. For everything else, use a different editor as plugin support is underwhelming in Audacity.  :-\
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 01:55:09 PM »

IMO Reaper is worth the effort. Lots of things it can do can be ignored for our purposes.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 05:57:36 PM »
http://www.groove3.com/str/reaper-4-explained.html

This download tutorial on sale for $20 will get you up and going with Reaper quickly.  Reaper has so many features buried under the hood that it's worth either buying this tutorial or watching the ones available for free on the internet.  You want to set Reaper up to use the mouse modifiers as demonstrated in the tutorial.  Why Reaper isn't set up this way by default I have no clue, but they are huge time savers once you change the default mouse settings.  As I recall, the tutorial also explains how to use plug ins on each channel which is very easy.   

Next thing you want to do is grab some of the favorite free plug ins listed on Gearslutz.  https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/733514-post-5-your-most-used-free-plugins.html

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:59:19 PM by 2manyrocks »

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 12:18:37 AM »
+1 on the Groove 3 Videos for Reaper.  Stupidly simple after watching about 6 videos.  Kenny Gioia is a really good teacher and knows his stuff about Reaper and ProTools.  What surprises me is that for being a ProTools expert, the guy is really high on Reaper
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com