Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CableCARD TV's  (Read 7511 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
CableCARD TV's
« on: September 27, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
I have read that CableCARD hasn't been widely adopted but does any one know of a 32" LCD TV with CableCARD and preferably DVD player?

Or a CableCARD settop box that does not use Ethernet nor requires a PC (i.e. only HDMI out)?

Just want to see if there is a way to get rid of my cable boxes.  I am looking at possibly investing in a Ceton card for my htpc for one TV but my other TV is in an area where putting in an htpc is not an option.   I was also thinking of running a HDMI cable from my HTPC (as it has 2 HDMI outs) but I want to be able to watch 2 different shows at a time, etc.

Cable companies rape you with these Settop box fees and since all content except Over The Air is now encrypted on QAM, CableCARD seems to be the only other solution.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: CableCARD TV's
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Good luck finding a provider that won't charge you a boat load for the actual cable card.   

Locally here Comcast wants $250 for a cable card deposit upfront plus they charge the set-top monthly rental charge.  Add that to one of the four tuner or six tuner Ceton cards and you're over $500 before you even start paying for service.   

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:09:20 PM »
I thought cableCARD fees where regulated by the FCC at $2 per month no up front cost.

I know Cablevision is this way (where I am at).

http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/651/~/using-a-cablecard-with-io-tv

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:10:58 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »
Comcast didn't charge me a deposit for a cablecard here in Denver.  I'm running a windows media center Ceton cablecard-based setup using a central PC and several media center extenders to feed content to tvs.  While the media center extenders I use have been discontinued, one can also use xbox's as extenders.  I think it best to wire these via ethernet, but others have had luck operating extenders wirelessly.  As far as areas where HTPCs are not an option, I'm about to pull the trigger on a hdplex fanless case.  Combined with a ssd, this would result in a silent computer without moving parts.  Both the Ceton and the HDHomerun prime allow for access to the cablecard tuner from a remote computer.  This would allow me to keep my big tower as the hub of my htpc setup and use small, fanless pcs to remotely access the cablecard and central content.

The ceton allows me to record/watch 4 shows at a time, and works quite well on my older dell quadcore xps 420 "server" for high definition tv playback/recording.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com