Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who's got a ROKU??  (Read 28222 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Who's got a ROKU??
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 06:59:25 AM »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 11:36:59 AM »
Streamed "Magic Trip" with Roku's Amazon VOD channel to the plasma over the weekend. 

Also added the free Classical Channel to Roku recently too.  Great stuff available and seems more is added regularly.   Roku definitely keeps moving forward with increased programming options unlike the other streaming devices we own.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline notsofast

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 06:50:41 PM »
I own the WD Live Plus and had looked at the ROKU. It does stream netflix, new interface allows searches within netflix. Bios upgrades are a regular occurrence and the user group is a good source for questions.

Small, streams flac/videos from my PC's, I use the wired netwrok connection to wireless repeater. Functionality is good. I have read the interface on the Seagate version is worse.

Dislikes:
Random connection problems with Netflix, when upgrading the bios you need to reset all your logon ID and pswd.

Would I buy another one? No due to intermittent connection issue. One day it works then the next it does not.

Hope that helps,

Tim
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 06:38:05 AM »
I have 2 Apple TV 2's and 2 Roku's. We use the ATV's for streaming our video files and Netflix, and use the Roku's for Hulu Plus. The ATV has a much better user interface, but we really wanted a small, cheap Hulu Plus streaming device as part of our "cutting cable" efforts. It's worked well for us. If the ATV had Hulu, we wouldn't have purchased the Roku.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 11:57:37 AM »
What do you all think about NetFlix splitting DVD's from streaming and charging more?
We have been using the DVD service more lately, because the streaming options are very limited.

Has anyone found a better cheap streaming option?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »
What do you all think about NetFlix splitting DVD's from streaming and charging more?
We have been using the DVD service more lately, because the streaming options are very limited.

Has anyone found a better cheap streaming option?

for my family, its the opposite way around because my girlfriend gets movies she never watches. we currently have 1 dvd and streaming. I don't think we take advantage of the dvds enough.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 03:55:20 PM »
Yeah, we have the 1 DVD plus streaming option for $9 too.
If they had a better selection of streaming movies I'd be happy with just the streaming, but that's not the case currently.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 04:04:08 PM »

It's a kick in the sack. I like the streaming option, but the quality and selection are fairly lacking, so going with the streaming only isn't really an option for me. If I wasn't splitting the cost two ways, I'd probably ditch it entirely.

"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 04:13:30 PM »
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 08:24:41 PM »
Unfortunately it appears that Netflix is moving to slowly get out of the shiny disc business altogether and change over to streaming only. 

We got rid of cable/satellite years ago and beefed up our number of discs at a time to 6 to supplement our local digital over the air channels.  We then dropped our disc count down to 4 at a time and grabbed a Roku unit when they first came out and have fully enjoyed the disc & streaming combo.  Netflix streaming was originally a free bonus, until they changed the pricing structure to start shifting their business model from discs to streaming.  The available Netflix streaming titles has improved somewhat but it still has a long way to go.  Over the same time frame I've noticed that their selection of titles available on disc has actually decreased.     

We have been trying to encourage Netflix to carry 3D Blu-ray discs for the last year and every time they tell us there is not enough demand for them to do this.  It wouldn't be difficult for them be active in this area if they were at all interested because there are not that many titles currently available in 3D.  Without Netflix carrying 3D titles it requires the public to purchase these discs on their own in order to watch them.  Who wants to buy their own discs today, not many titles are worth owning or even watching more than once.

All of our other home theater streaming devices are basically only useful for their Netflix service but at least Roku is active in pursuing other programming options which helps supplement the deficiencies with Netflix.     
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:26:29 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 01:55:35 PM »
Another sucky thing with netflix is the vanishing streaming of something I just watched. I can't say this has happen recently (as in this month) but every once in awhile I'll add something to the queue and it will disappear the next day. If could be a movie or a tv series/season and even searching for it will not show any results.

Has anyone else experienced/noticed this?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 02:00:49 PM »
Another sucky thing with netflix is the vanishing streaming of something I just watched. I can't say this has happen recently (as in this month) but every once in awhile I'll add something to the queue and it will disappear the next day. If could be a movie or a tv series/season and even searching for it will not show any results.

Yes, this happens because the streaming movies have expiration dates. They are only viewable for a certain amount of time. All of the movies vary. Some are available to stream for years, some months, and some weeks.

Check out this site: http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix/
The site lists all of the available streaming titles and also shows you when each movie expires.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »

Yes, this happens because the streaming movies have expiration dates. They are only viewable for a certain amount of time. All of the movies vary. Some are available to stream for years, some months, and some weeks.

Check out this site: http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix/
The site lists all of the available streaming titles and also shows you when each movie expires.

Thanks for the link! It's nice to be able to, you know, actually sort shit.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 02:23:23 PM »
I, too, have been disappointed with Netflix's streaming content.  It's not terrible, but it's not particularly good, either.  I suspect they're moving as fast as they can to add new content given the constraints placed upon them by media content copyright owners.  I would guess the copyright owners <a> are reluctant to provide content to a third party when they're all probably working (either directly or indirectly) on their own streaming options to deliver content direct to consumers, <b> don't want to cut into their higher profits from other distribution channels which are still generating significant revenue, and <c> don't want to agree to long-term deals until the market develops further and provides greater certainty around the revenue generation and profit model.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Chuck

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 02:29:06 PM »
Yeah, the movie streaming content isn't that good. So, I'm trying to re-purpose mine as a media server. The hitch is that I don't think the Roku can do gapless audio playback using the USB or My Media channels.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com