Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who's got a ROKU??  (Read 28224 times)

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Who's got a ROKU??
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »
The wife and I have hardly been streaming over the past 6months, after a few years of steady use Actually have been going to the local video store once a week. We have gotten very into random finds and new to us older movies, with no wait. We feel like a bunch of olds doing this but it is really nice to look thru the new Criterion offerings or the Classics/Cultfollowing shelves and going home w something. I am lobbying the wife to ditch Netflix
?>FR2LE

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 02:06:20 PM »
I am on the fence about the Roku and the WDTV live plus.

Anyone here owned both?
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 02:11:33 PM »
I just switched from a Roku XDS to a jailbroke AppleTV 2. I was happy with the Roku, but the AppleTV 2 will act as a media hub for me.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »
I just switched from a Roku XDS to a jailbroke AppleTV 2. I was happy with the Roku, but the AppleTV 2 will act as a media hub for me.

I"m not worried about the media hub, just want mine for TV and movie streaming. 

Offline Chuck

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 04:15:50 PM »
After I run the AppleTV 2 through it's paces this weekend I may have a Roku XDS for sale.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 04:23:34 PM »
Can the roku run xmbc? Is that what you jailbroke the apple tv with?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »
The Roku doesn't run XBMC. That's why I got the AppleTV 2. I jail broke it last night with seasOnpass. I haven't been able to play with it much. I'm hoping to have time over the weekend to see all it can do.

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 04:43:17 PM »
I am on the fence about the Roku and the WDTV live plus.

Anyone here owned both?

i've only owned the WDTV live plus and just sold it b/c it doesn't handle 24 bit FLAC files.  i picked up a boxee and have been loving it!  i can't find anything the boxee won't play.
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
After I run the AppleTV 2 through it's paces this weekend I may have a Roku XDS for sale.

I am interested for sure.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 11:40:09 PM »
Well we've had the roku xs in our house for about two weeks and like it a lot. It's replacing the wii which was primarily used for streaming netflix. It has so many channels but only a select few have been added like mog for playing music (i think you need a subscription after two weeks or something), ted tv, vimeo, twit (which I spent many hours watching FLOSS), classical music, pandora, crackle, and hundreds more. This device exceed my expecattions as to what I thought it could do. I was debating this or the apple tv2 thing but that didn't have rca outputs and we didn't want to have to buy a new tv to watch apple tv. There's a lot of free content on the roku like crackle for movies. The selection isn't be greatest but its uncut, unedited, and free...it says that but there's 15-30 second commercials throughout the movie BUT the movie is paused so it picks right back up. You can sign up for amazon but we haven't done that yet.

I'm sure this is quite similar to the roku orignal but my guess would be the usb port is new on the roku2 so you can plug in a media stick. No, you can't play FLAC or ogg but it could be an easy way to view pictures and ltitle videos. A lot of yall have much better TVs so your images could be displayed on your tv really nicely.
When you first sign up, you will need to register an accout with roku with a credit card (maybe even paypal) and this is in case you want to buy a channel thing. So far we have purchased anything that costs money.

The appletv2 thing looks nice but I also was not crazy about having to sync it to the computer and register it with itunes so while many don't like the roku UI, I think it will improve pretty soon.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
We've had a roku XS for about two weeks now. My wife and daughter are the true TV adddicts, though I did have certain shows I watched I can't get now. We've cut our monthly television bill by $75  a month. For the first week, all I heard from the family was how little there was to watch. Last night I got home and my daughter was reading a book and the wife was watching network TV through the antenna. I think they are being weaned without too much headache. We do have Netflix and Hulu Plus but will probably drop one eventually.

I haven't missed cable a bit and now use the TV to stream archive.org shows. The interface is a bit clunky but it works.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com