Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Xtreme vs. Star Quad  (Read 9368 times)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Xtreme vs. Star Quad
« on: April 02, 2004, 07:50:16 PM »
I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Xtremes.  I currently run star quad cables.   I'm hoping for a bit more detail.  

So are the xtremes worth the $$ over star quads or should I save my money?
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:Xtreme vs. Star Quad
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 08:01:58 PM »
I have x-stream's and star quads. I think the difference in the two is pretty small... I only bought the x-streams because I got a good deal from a local taoer (Todd R). The higher end audio tragics.... errr magics, might be worth the bucks.

you really need a good playback system to hear the difference in field cables, I haven't done any hardcore a/b's but my lowend hi-fi system doesn't really show much of a difference if any.

long story short, save the bucks... buy some speakers ;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 08:14:31 PM »
 :P  New speakers are in the works as well.....that's a MUCH tougher decision.  
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 01:03:00 PM »
Look at it this way, X-Streams are silver cables, Canare's are copper. You be the judge...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 01:37:01 PM »
haha,  own xstreamz and i didnt know that!!

i guess ya learn something new everyday, huh??
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 12:13:33 PM »
Look at it this way, X-Streams are silver cables, Canare's are copper. You be the judge...

good point...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Jason B

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 12:21:46 PM »
silver schmilver, some call 'em bright.

Not to my ears though. They seem to be much fuller a livlier compared to copper conductors...

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 12:44:11 PM »
If they are "bright" and "lively"  those are two good things in terms of what I'm after.  With the TLs I'm trying to just add a touch more definition to the high end.  I guess I'll have to pick a pair up and see.......

Jason B

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 12:56:41 PM »
If they are "bright" and "lively"  those are two good things in terms of what I'm after.  With the TLs I'm trying to just add a touch more definition to the high end.  I guess I'll have to pick a pair up and see.......

I'm selling my 15' Zaolla's....

Jason B

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 12:57:41 PM »

It really doesn't matter to me anyway, because of cost limitations, and length needs of 30' -> 50' pairs (my needs) are way too costly for anything except homemade.

I hear you on this one Moke. Sucks they have to be so costly...

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 01:36:48 PM »
Thanks Jason.  :)   Looks like I'll be running the zaolla's.

+T for hooking me up

Jason B

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 02:15:54 PM »
Thanks Jason.  :)   Looks like I'll be running the zaolla's.

+T for hooking me up

You got it Brian. Back atcha.

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 02:20:25 PM »
fyi, many in the cirlces i deal with believe better cables are a blend of copper and silver, not pure one way or the other.  the reason for this is that when copper oxidizes it actually becomes a better conductor, whereas when silver oxidizes its conductivity goes down.

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 07:54:47 PM »
fyi, many in the cirlces i deal with believe better cables are a blend of copper and silver, not pure one way or the other.  the reason for this is that when copper oxidizes it actually becomes a better conductor, whereas when silver oxidizes its conductivity goes down.

Here's a good question then......why do many cable makers push "oxygen free" copper?  If oxidation of copper creates a better conductor why do they remove the oxygen to keep it from happening.  Better yet...why don't they sell pre-oxidized cable?

Just curious on this...because in my line of work oxidized copper is an inferior cunductor.  We use wire brushes to clean the oxidized layer before making a new connection.  

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 12:44:09 AM »
Any thoughts on this Silver Plated Copper Belden Star Quad Cable? I just picked up some from Giant squid

Bush has some cables made with this. Used them & loved em. Very compact.  

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-custom-cables.htm
Scroll to the bottom.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 12:45:37 AM by Kindguy »
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

jpschust

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2004, 01:10:47 AM »
for those interested im following up on this with a prof- i know he is busy but he is gonna respond as soon as he can to it.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2004, 07:11:19 AM »
>>I've just heard too many bright cables (interconnects), and opinions about silver being inconsistant from one manufacturer to the next, (but what product isn't?). Maybe they got it right with the Xstreams?<<

they got it right with excaliburs and sorcerers for sure...

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2004, 07:23:30 AM »
Any thoughts on this Silver Plated Copper Belden Star Quad Cable? I just picked up some from Giant squid

Bush has some cables made with this. Used them & loved em. Very compact.  

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-custom-cables.htm
Scroll to the bottom.

I would imagine they're nicer than standard copper and I think I see why they pate copper with silver but for mic cables I don't know if it's as helpful as it is with speaker cables?

The silver plating is great with transmitting AC due to skin effect (AC like to travel on the outside of the wire).  But I would think 48 volts Phantom is DC so the entire wire is being used equally...no?

Jason B

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2004, 08:29:32 PM »
>>I've just heard too many bright cables (interconnects), and opinions about silver being inconsistant from one manufacturer to the next, (but what product isn't?). Maybe they got it right with the Xstreams?<<

they got it right with excaliburs and sorcerers for sure...

The Spellcasters sound exceptionally sweet. Clear, defined, not bright at all...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2004, 11:44:43 PM »
yeah, spellcasters are between excaliburs and sorcerers.  i like all 3.  never heard the illusions or clairvoyants, but i imagine those are a little sick too :)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2004, 06:58:42 AM »
shit, for the money, xstreamz are the shizzle
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2004, 04:23:12 PM »
George Cardas' view on the silver debate:

(Full article at:  http://www.cardas.com/faqs/index.html   Lots of other good stuff at http://www.cardas.com/insights/index.html )

Copper vs Silver
Q.) Why hasn't Cardas manufactured a silver cable? -Tank

A.) Many manufactures have experimented with silver and other metals in the development of their products, and most have decided that ultra pure copper is the best conductor material. Cardas manufactures most of the silver stranding used in the industry, but the fact remains, ultra pure copper is generally better as an audio (AC) conductor.

The highly refined copper we use has a DC conductivity of approximately 103.8. This is within 1% of Silver's DC conductivity, but the critical differences here are copper's slightly lower inductivity and skin effect ratios that make it easier to work with in audio (AC) applications.

This is not to say that some embodiment of silver could not compete. There are ways to make an excellent silver interconnect, but given the costs involved and the inherent problems with silver, I believe the money is better spent on conductor geometry.

In interconnect cables, where capacitance is more of an issue than inductance, a silver conductor could have a small advantage. Silver's downfall is its low internal damping or loss ratio. It is like a speaker box with no internal damping, you end up with a very efficient speaker that does not sound good. The tendency for a slightly forward, hard or bright sound is always there. My initial work with silver in Golden Ratio, Constant Q, Litz configurations is encouraging, but I haven't come up with a configuration that I care to live with as yet.

I'm not ready to consider silver speaker cables. If there is any advantage, It would come at a price that seems over-the-top to me. I think I will leave the Black Pearls to Ray for now. -George
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2004, 09:57:13 AM »
>Just curious on this...because in my line of work oxidized >copper is an inferior cunductor.  We use wire brushes to >clean the oxidized layer before making a new connection.  

Oxides of all(?) metals are known insulators (or at best they have distinct rectifying properties.  CuO2 was for example used as rectifiers in antique radios. ).

That's what the oxygen does, it captures the electrons in the conduction band and reduces the overall conductivity.

You do not want oxygen in your Cu cables. Now, if the effect of a small contamination is audible...  well that discussion has been raging since ehh ohhh the the dawn of modern time? :-)

Jon

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.172 seconds with 51 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com