Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: making 7pin I/O cable from the sbm1 7pin dongle  (Read 5793 times)

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: making 7pin I/O cable from the sbm1 7pin dongle
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2004, 02:42:34 PM »
Sounds like you need to use Sony's RMR-D3 (usually came as part of RM-D3K) rather than the SBM.  The RMR-D3 has a 7pin as well as both optical and coax digi in and simultaneously feeds both optical and coax digi out. Since you don't want to buy another box, this presents a problem. Another problem is I've never seen an RMR-D3 that doesn't use 110volts. ANyone know how to mod it for battery power?

i've seen a guy use the RMR-D3 in the field. worked quite well for him.  as far as the AC only feature, i guess someone could take one apart and see what the AD>DC does and basically bypass the conversion and go directly DC. 

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2004, 03:18:51 PM »
All that's REALLY needed is an adaptor that would go coax in>female sony 7pin. Plug the 7pin>optical into this and you'd be good to patch.  Perhaps something that could be put together out of a dead d7/d8

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2004, 05:51:47 PM »
Zach, I figured you knew the basics, but based on some of the responses, I thought I'd better start at the beginning to be sure everyone was on the same page.  A separate format converter would work, but if you wanted to keep things simple, you could just get an hard-body RCA splitter, like for instance the one pictured at the top of this thread.  Then you'd just use it to split the digital chain, one side of which would dead end with you.  A lot of people don't like to allow this option in the field, but if you only split the signal once or twice it would work fine.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2004, 06:33:35 PM »
Todd:

The more I think about this, the more I think it might be a doable (and worthwhile?) mod --

Goal -- to use already-owned equipment (a jb3, a sbm-1 and a sony 7pin to optical i/o cable) to allow a jb3 (with an optical digital in) to be added to a coax patch chain. 

Problem, the sony 7pin>optical needs to be fed by a female 7pin connector.

Possible solution, replace the 7pin male head on the sbm-1 with the coax i/o adaptor as referenced above  AND (if possible) extend a wire that connected to the apparently unused digital IN pins on the male 7pin to the digital OUT pins on the female 7pin incorporated into the sbm-1 (while leaving the existing signal path from the sbm-1 to the digital out on the female 7pin unchanged).  If it worked, This would allow somebody with a sbm-1 and a jb3 to use their existing hardware to accept a digital signal in from the dongle and pass that signal over to the female 7 pin in the sbm-1 so that it could, in turn, be passed to the male 7pin>optical cable eliminating the need to have a seperate format converter.

Or am I missing something obvious too ???

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com