Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)  (Read 106685 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)
« Reply #255 on: September 22, 2015, 03:07:12 PM »
Instead of just discussing this ad infinitum, how about everyone start reporting their specific experiences with cards...which some people have already done.  Would someone be willing to start a database?  Here's at minimum what I'd suggest needs to be reported...

- Card Brand, Model and Size
- Card Age (New, Used)
- Number of channels recorded? (2 or 4)
- Fresh Format Before Use?  (Y/N)
- Good file or bad file?...and for bad files the specific issue (digi glitches or card read error)

After a bunch of data is compiled, there should be some patterns/trends show up that will help people out.

tomuo

« Reply #256 on: September 22, 2015, 04:42:39 PM »

How about a card that works in Tascam's DP-24, of which there are DOZENS listed as working?  ???
http://tascam-ca.com/product/dp-24/specifications/

Or is 24-channels a completely different data pattern than 4?  :facepalm:
The DP-24 has been around longer, and many of those cards that were previously tested are no longer available, hence there's no customer benefit to testing them now; also the DP-24 maxs out at 32GB, so we've still got to look at 64GB and 128GB SDXC cards.   The exFAT format for those cards is in someways slower than the regular FAT32 file system on up to 32GB cards.

(added) The DP-24 also doesn't record natively in WAV format, it uses a direct to SD card sector format.   It can export and import from WAV files, but otherwise the read/write access pattern is completely different from the DR-70D.

The DR-680mkII added SDXC support as well, but 32GB SD cards will be the sweet spot for price and performance going forward I think though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:51:07 PM by tomuo »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #257 on: September 22, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »

The DR-680mkII added SDXC support as well, but 32GB SD cards will be the sweet spot for price and performance going forward I think though.

Regarding cards that work recording 6 and 8 channels in the DR680 and DR680MKII:

I used lots of different 32gb cards in my DR680 and never had an issue. I always format in the machine almost before every show, so as to have lots of storage space. I cannot imagine formatting on anything other than the machine I am about to use the card in either. I used 32gb cards Wintec found on Amazon mostly, and 32gb Emtec from Microcenter. No Issues

I moved to the DR680MKII recently and found these great deals for SDXC 64 and 128GB cards at B&H back in July. I have rotated these cards without issue and again always format in the machine, almost always before each show.

Sony 64GB SDXC MEMORY CARD CLASS 10 (40MB/s
B&H# SOSD64GB10Z : Mfr# SF64UYTQMN (on sale for 20.95)

Sony 128GB GB SD MEMRY CARD CLASS 10-40MB/S
B&H# SOSD128GB10Z : Mfr# SF128UYTQMN (on sale for 39.95)
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2015, 06:02:45 PM »
Instead of just discussing this ad infinitum, how about everyone start reporting their specific experiences with cards...which some people have already done.  Would someone be willing to start a database?  Here's at minimum what I'd suggest needs to be reported...

- Card Age (New, Used)
- Good file or bad file?...and for bad files the specific issue (digi glitches or card read error)

After a bunch of data is compiled, there should be some patterns/trends show up that will help people out.

That sounds like a great idea.  I volunteer, since there's already a partial list on the FAQ - we just need to fill in the details on those cards.  I'm off tomorrow, so I can throw together a Google survey.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #259 on: September 22, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »

- Card Age (New, Used)

That sounds like a great idea.  I volunteer, since there's already a partial list on the FAQ - we just need to fill in the details on those cards.  I'm off tomorrow, so I can throw together a Google survey.

Maybe add Firmware, sample rate and bits?
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2015, 06:33:44 PM »
Power source, phantom mode, input settings, source settings, type of gear plugged in, temperature, pressure, time of day, time zone, contents of stomach, total savings and checking account, Tascam Trust Factor, heart rate, pulse, respiration, height, weight, body temperature...

Edit: Phase of moon
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

« Reply #261 on: September 22, 2015, 06:42:42 PM »

- Card Age (New, Used)

Agreed.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #262 on: September 22, 2015, 06:52:17 PM »
Power source, phantom mode, input settings, source settings, type of gear plugged in, temperature, pressure, time of day, time zone, contents of stomach, total savings and checking account, Tascam Trust Factor, heart rate, pulse, respiration, height, weight, body temperature...

Edit: Phase of moon

OK, we get it.  You're frustrated and unhappy.  Others here aren't satisfied with Tascam's customer service either, but Tom appears to be making an effort, and I don't mind giving him some additional data to work with.  A database like this is going to wind up benefiting us anyway.  Have a cookie and move on already.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #263 on: September 22, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
where is this cookie of which you speak? Do I have to earn TASCAM RESEARCH POINTS to enjoy it?

???

OK, we get it.  You're frustrated and unhappy.  ...

Have a cookie and move on already.

I really can't tell if you're kidding or being a troll at this point.  If you have something constructive to contribute here, fire away.  Otherwise, I'm not going to engage any further.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline raoulduke

• Trade Count: (52)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Got Gefell?
« Reply #264 on: September 22, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »
Complaining that cards that are not on the list are causing problems can only get one reply, why aren't you using cards on the list
Check the PDF list here:
http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/dr-70d_tested_media_list_r1_20150224.pdf
Note: Cards added to the tested list will always be cards that you can buy new now.

It's not the end user's responsibility to see what media functions with the recorder. If you want me to be a beta tester, send me a free deck to test. I paid for mine with the expectation it functions to the stated specs printed in the manual. Tascam advertises the deck works with SD cards (64 MB to 2 GB), SDHC cards (4 to 32 GB) and SDXC cards (48 to 128 GB). I expect my recorder to function with name-brand, non generic cards that meet the minimum specs that are needed to write four channels at 24/96, which is at minimum a true class four card and most assuredly a true class 10. According to Tascam directly and their approved media list, it obviously doesn't work with all of these cards so can I return it to Tascam under warranty and request a refund since it isn't functioning to spec?

Also, I have some comments about the cards Tascam is recommending. Instructing us to buy anything under 16gb to couple with a four channel, 24 bit, 96 khz recorder is laughable and let's just pretend 4, 8 and 16gb cards aren't on the list because quite simply, that's insulting in the year 2015 and not realistic for the majority of applications that this deck is being used for.

So, that leaves us with two 32gb cards that are approved by Tascam and here's their current cost as of 9/22/15 at B&H Photo.

$74.95  -  32gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC™ UHS-Ⅱ  Part # SDSDXPB-032G-A46
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030992-REG/sandisk_sdsdxpb_032g_a46_32gb_extreme_pro_sdhc_uhs_ii.html

Discontinued  -  32gb Panasonic SDHC UHS-I (CLASS 10) R:90MB/s   Part # RP-SDUC32GAK
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044453-REG/panasonic_rp_sduc32gak_32gb_sdhc_uhs_i_u3_card.html

Therefore, in reality your recommended list of cards for us real world users of this machine consists of solely one card, that costs $2.34 per gb. Does that sound reasonable to you when the street price of the 70d is $200 and the average name brand, class 10, 32gb card is selling for less than $0.50 per gb?

The solution is simple, instead of jerking us around have the engineers use some precious man hours and update the firmware so the recorder, ya know, records.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #265 on: September 23, 2015, 12:19:57 AM »
 :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline voltronic

« Reply #266 on: September 23, 2015, 08:49:40 AM »
Survey is up.  You can find it here, and I also linked to it on the FAQ page.

You may view the spreadsheet of responses here as users complete the survey.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #267 on: September 23, 2015, 10:16:31 AM »
Thanks for doing this. 

stevetoney

« Reply #268 on: September 23, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »
Survey is up.  You can find it here, and I also linked to it on the FAQ page.

You may view the spreadsheet of responses here as users complete the survey.

Wow, you're a badass!  Thanks and awesome!   :clapping:

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #269 on: September 23, 2015, 11:10:19 AM »
Making all those fields required might limit your responses.

I don't remember if I fresh formatted...

Also - seems like the last question should be first.

Maybe you really need 2 surveys.

A simple one for successes - and a 2nd, more thorough questioning for failed cards/recordings.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com