Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pre-amp for Roland R-05? Any samples?  (Read 4546 times)

Offline mjj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Pre-amp for Roland R-05? Any samples?
« on: March 09, 2018, 03:39:07 PM »
Hi,

Currently the best recorder I have is Roland R-05. And I became interested in recording quiet sounds... As I understood this recorder isn't the greatest on earth in doing that so I am upgrading it in the future.

On the other hand, I would like to get better and not so expensive results now. The question is: how would additional pre-amp help Roland R-05? What good portable pre-amps exist these days? Any samples recording some quiet stuff with max internal recorder gain (1) and  the same sound with lower internal recorder gain, but with pre-amp (2)?

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Pre-amp for Roland R-05? Any samples?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 04:36:32 PM »
I recently recorded some quiet nature sounds with CA14 omnis > CA9200 pre > R-05.  This was just screwing around, though, and I'm certainly no expert.  If you'd like I can share some of it, though.  I'm not sure how helpful it will be  :shrug:
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline mjj

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 05:00:35 PM »
I recently recorded some quiet nature sounds with CA14 omnis > CA9200 pre > R-05.  This was just screwing around, though, and I'm certainly no expert.  If you'd like I can share some of it, though.  I'm not sure how helpful it will be  :shrug:

Thanks for reply! Is it possible for you to do an experiment:
Record something quiet (like writing with pencil on paper) without pre-amp (with just a battery box if possible) with high gain 70-80 and then the same situation with pre-amp so that the loudness of these two recordings would be +- the same? The first should have a lot of hiss, the second one should have less hiss as I understand. I would like to find out how well does the pre-amp help in that situation. How well the hiss becomes non issue when recording such quiet things.
I hope you understood what I mean :)

I just want to find out what am I loosing in not having a pre-amp. Could somebody show me the best CA9200 (or similar pre-amp) can do to make recording better? Something like: "Take a listen! So much hiss without pre-amp, it's unbearable. And then same situation with pre-amp: that sounds much much better with it!" Or am I dreaming too much and additional pre-amp isn't capable in making some wonders?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:08:41 PM by mjj »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 05:30:41 PM »
I'm willing to do that, but understand that I don't really have any mics that are ideal for recording really quiet stuff. 

I'll give it a go, but it might not be until next week sometime.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline mjj

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 05:09:15 AM »
I'm willing to do that, but understand that I don't really have any mics that are ideal for recording really quiet stuff. 

I'll give it a go, but it might not be until next week sometime.

Thanks, that would be great!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com