Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Artificial stereo effect by minutely separating the same track, panning opposit  (Read 2001 times)

Offline 6079

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
In a live recording, there is a lot of echo and reverb, so doing this (separating a copy of the original track by a fraction of a second and panning them opposite one another) creates a fairly natural sounding stereo effect.
Then with two mics used that were aimed at opposite directions, it sounds even more natural to use this technique with just the two sources, I think.

What is the consensus on this?  At first listen, I have to say it sounds fuller and better, but I have to think there's a reason this isn't done more commonly (from what I've assumed in listening to other recordings).  Tell me why I'm retarded for thinking this might be a good idea or how to best use this method.
Free Screenings of "Bill Hicks: Revelations" in Portland and Seattle
May 27th & 28th.
info: http://www.BillHicks.org  RSVP: http://Facebook.com/BillHicksNW

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
6079, there are far better ways to add reverberation and/or ambience to a recording than simply mixing in a delayed copy of the original signal. When you do that, you create large errors in the frequency response of the original--reinforcing some frequencies very strongly while weakening others, all depending on the length of the delay that you use. It doesn't create a sense of room ambience at all.

If you know what a "comb filter" is (and please see the Wikipedia article if you don't)--the most basic way to create one is to do exactly what you're talking about.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com