Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The death of HD DVD?  (Read 37607 times)

Offline kered38

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: The death of HD DVD?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »
and goodfellas comes out on it (if it isnt already).

Out for both and only $14.99 at Best Buy this week.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 02:45:34 PM »
Quote from: john kelly
The PS3 is the only player that has the possibility to update to the 2.0 profile, but it hasn't been confirmed that it will.
actually, it was confirmed yesterday @ ces ;)

that, and the fact that it will auto-rip brdvd to psp.

Care to link to that first fact?  Because none of the HD or video game websites I know of have anything about it.

The second thing is very cool, and would be even better if it also allowed iPod ripping a la the new Fox DVDs (which have pre-ripped iTunes files on the disc).
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »
Who wants to buy my Betamax?  ;D

At least I didn't spend an arm/leg on the HD Player. The A3 was on sale for $199 and I had gift cards to get the thing down under $100 and with the 7 movies, I think I came out ahead.

The thing I have seen when watching the ads is that the Sony players are now down to the 40 gig PS3 price of $399.  I don't see them going any lower unless Sony does a price drop on the PS3.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 03:02:19 PM »
it is :D (i actually watched it again just the other night, too)

i just want this to end, so things small houses, like criterion, can start doing their catalog up in hd, with all the acoutremans(sic) that the blu standard has...

hopefully these things will be happening towards the end of the year, when blu players are gonna be cheap for the holiday season, and those will all be 2.0 compliant...

the only reason i am an early adopter is 'cos i went the ps3 route, which i knew was gonna be upgradeable via firmware, and thus, relatively future-proof. the games have been a long-time coming, but this year they will blow up. i am impressed with the fledgling psn - downloadable, cheap, high-quality games have been put up, and they are sweet (i already touted the bowling). i dont do the rock band/guitar hero thing, but there are updates/new tunes for that thing each week. it is all set-up for the download of full-length movies, if that ever becomes a reality, and since i have watched plenty of the 1080p trailers from the psn, i would have no problems downloading a full-length feature for viewing, provided the price was right, 'cos the quality is all there. the machine also replaces the squeezebox as a music streamer, and can play my stones sacds, and outputs them via analog!! the thing that has been the best surprise is that the firmware updates have been focusing on movie playback: the blu-ray updates (though that isnt just sony's gig), sd dvd upscaling, 24hz support, full rgb, super white hdmi, etc. - all of these things added by sony to make the unit a dream mulitmedia unit to have.

just watch out when buying them, 'cos not all of them have the same features. they all will play blu-ray, and connect via hdmi and output 1080p, and games ,a nd music, but some wont have memory card slots (just usb), and some wont have wi-fi, some wont play ps2 titles.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:27:43 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 03:06:45 PM »
Quote from: john kelly
The PS3 is the only player that has the possibility to update to the 2.0 profile, but it hasn't been confirmed that it will.
actually, it was confirmed yesterday @ ces ;)

that, and the fact that it will auto-rip brdvd to psp.

Care to link to that first fact?
 Because none of the HD or video game websites I know of have anything about it.

of course (i knew you were gonna ask ;) )

no release date as of yet (for the firmware)

link

link

The second thing is very cool

link

link
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:10:25 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 03:18:58 PM »
So let's talk Blu-Ray media.   Most of the usual CD media sites I visit do not seem to have much real world with recordable Blu Ray media.  Anyone have any good links?  Specs?  Tests?

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 03:20:05 PM »
The 40gb PS3 will NOT play PS2 games...only the 80GB will.

the reason I know this......I just took my HD DVD player and exchanged for the 40GB PS3.

edit:  now do I hold on to these HD DVD movies I have and pick up a dual format player when they get cheap(er)...or just sell them off.  I have about 10 movies.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 03:22:08 PM »
The 40gb PS3 will NOT play PS2 games...only the 80GB will.

the reason I know this......I just took my HD DVD player and exchanged for the 40GB PS3.

edit:  now do I hold on to these HD DVD movies I have and pick up a dual format player when they get cheap(er)...or just sell them off.  I have about 10 movies.

i have the 60 gig one, and it plays ps2 games, but i have never tried...

congrats on your new purchase.

+T
-macdaddy ++

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »
the 40GB does not play sacd's or ps2 games either...   all of the ps3's play ps1 games... 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 03:26:12 PM »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 03:31:45 PM »
How many "death blows" will it take for Blu-ray to finally win the format war against HD DVD? I've been hearing that phrase (and writing about it) since July 2007. Well here comes another one. Following in the footsteps of Warner Brothers' abandonment of the HD DVD format, reports are surfacing that Paramount is headed to Blu-ray as well.

This is huge news not just because it would leave just one major studio (Universal, plus the mini-major DreamWorks) producing HD DVD content. It would mark the first time in the high-def war that a studio has abandoned one exclusive format and switched to another. Warner was producing both HD DVD and Blu-ray discs and merely dropped the HD DVD ones. Paramount will have to switch entirely to Blu-ray, which it has not been producing up to now.

According to the Financial Times, Paramount has a clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp allowing it to switch to Blu-ray in the event that Warner was to do so. And exercising that clause is what's about to happen. It's also theorized that DreamWorks will follow Paramount, since the studios are closely tied together.

Nothing's been announced yet, but this should be wrapped up in fairly short order. Stay tuned.

ouch.
-macdaddy ++

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 03:43:28 PM »
How many "death blows" will it take for Blu-ray to finally win the format war against HD DVD? I've been hearing that phrase (and writing about it) since July 2007. Well here comes another one. Following in the footsteps of Warner Brothers' abandonment of the HD DVD format, reports are surfacing that Paramount is headed to Blu-ray as well.

This is huge news not just because it would leave just one major studio (Universal, plus the mini-major DreamWorks) producing HD DVD content. It would mark the first time in the high-def war that a studio has abandoned one exclusive format and switched to another. Warner was producing both HD DVD and Blu-ray discs and merely dropped the HD DVD ones. Paramount will have to switch entirely to Blu-ray, which it has not been producing up to now.

According to the Financial Times, Paramount has a clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp allowing it to switch to Blu-ray in the event that Warner was to do so. And exercising that clause is what's about to happen. It's also theorized that DreamWorks will follow Paramount, since the studios are closely tied together.

Nothing's been announced yet, but this should be wrapped up in fairly short order. Stay tuned.

ouch.

Paramount has already said that is false and that they will be supporting HD DVD (I'm guessing that will be their story until their contract is up).

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 03:49:25 PM »

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 04:01:49 PM »
that's what i said above (re: m$), but i think it is a long way off. the masses have to have broadband for that to work, and they dont yet. and i am not sure if dsl can even handle what they are talking about...

-macdaddy ++

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »
that's what i said above (re: m$), but i think it is a long way off. the masses have to have broadband for that to work, and they dont yet. and i am not sure if dsl can even handle what they are talking about...

You'd be surprised - over 60% of homes in the US now connect to the internet via broadband.  I think it's a lot closer than people think.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com