Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SPSB-8 Battery Module  (Read 3122 times)

Offline VinceG.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SPSB-8 Battery Module
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »
The last portion of my recording gear arrived a few minutes ago.

After much debating and various advice given to me by the kind people here, I opted for the SPSB-8 Mini-Battery Module. Now, all I'd like to know is what are the tiny white switches on the back of my SPSB-8 Battery Module for??? They're 2 small sections with numbers 1-4 across the top of each switch, and what appears to read "Rocker Down" across the bottom of each switch row.

Offline BlingFree

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Working the dumb end of a digital recorder.
    • Lossless Legs
Re: SPSB-8 Battery Module
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »
Welcome to TS.

You can download the Sound Pros "instruction" manual for the bass rolloff settings for their battery boxes from here.  Check out page 2 of that .DOC file... it says:

Your desired Roll-off Frequency       These switches set to the “open” position
16Hz (no roll-off)                           2,3,4
69Hz                                            1,4
95Hz                                            1,3
107Hz                                          1,3,4
160Hz                                          1,2
195Hz                                          1,2,4
888Hz                                          1,2,3

That said, on an older Sound Pros battery box I have, it has the bass rolloff switches (the little red blocks with white switches) as follows: "Open" is at one end, and the numbers (1,2,3,4) are at the other end.  Flipping the switch down at the Open end = "Open"... so e.g. if I flip switches 1,3,4 "down" (at the side where it says Open) then that would basically* set the bass rolloff to 107 Hz, as stated from the aforemention manual.

* "Basically" = as in, the Sound Pro battery box is set for an input impedence on the recorder of 10 kOhm, if I recall correctly.  Obviously, the actual rolloff value would differ per recorder with the input impedence being a variable in the following bass rolloff equation: 1 / (2*pi*R*C)

where pi = ~3.14, R = Farad of the capacitor, and C = Ohm of the recorder's input.
Audio
* AKG SE-300B / CK 91 > Zoom H6
* powered by i.Sound Portable Power Max - 16000 mAh
Video
*coming soon??**

LMA uploads
bt.etree uploads
YouTube Playlists

Offline VinceG.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:58:16 PM »
The lead tech (Chris) from Sound Professionals returned my phone call and told me, due to where my seats were located (floor in the handicapped section)  the only switch I needed to turn on was the first one (1).

Do you have another suggestion that might work better and give me somewhat better audio results? I'm open to all suggestions.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 06:47:39 PM »
* "Basically" = as in, the Sound Pro battery box is set for an input impedence on the recorder of 10 kOhm, if I recall correctly.  Obviously, the actual rolloff value would differ per recorder with the input impedence being a variable in the following bass rolloff equation: 1 / (2*pi*R*C)
where pi = ~3.14, R = Farad of the capacitor, and C = Ohm of the recorder's input.

Correct-they are calibrated for 10 Kohms (old mini disc mic in). So you will get way different results with recorders used today. I never heard about the equation mentioned by BlingFree (and am not knowledgeable enough to use it), but it sounds like he knows what he's talking about. (The old posts I read said that if you use a recorder with input impedance of 20 instead of 10, for example, you would get 10/20 of the roll off listed by Sound Pro's).

The Sony M10, for example, has mic input impedance of 22 and line in impedance of 40 (way different than 10). Who knows what roll off you'd get.

I don't think SP's should be offering these boxes for the above reason-too confusing to operate (and they don't tell you about the impedance issue). Most of us here recommend doing all roll off in post anyway. Chris Church's preamp's HPF, which normally should not be engaged except in extreme circumstances, operates differently. If engaged you will get the same bass roll off no matter what the recorder's input impudence is. Unlike the SP battery box, the roll off is not adjustable, but sometimes simplicity can be a good thing.

If you read a lot of posts here, most of them would probably have recommended buying a battery box without a roll off, I think. Since you have paid the extra money for this box however, it will work without issue if you just set it to minimum roll off and do your roll off in post as usually recommended here.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:49:36 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline VinceG.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
This device is going to be used with my Tascam DR-05. My wife has volunteered to take it with her tomorrow and do a test run at her Nickelback show so I can see how it sounds.

Offline BlingFree

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Working the dumb end of a digital recorder.
    • Lossless Legs
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 11:21:43 PM »
I never heard about the equation mentioned by BlingFree (and am not knowledgeable enough to use it), but it sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Just quoting and passing along older TS info. I'm not smarticles like that. :)
Audio
* AKG SE-300B / CK 91 > Zoom H6