Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-SPSB-8 - question about switches  (Read 3451 times)

Offline tmgtim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • The Mystery Guest
SP-SPSB-8 - question about switches
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:06:54 AM »
Hi,
I have an SP-SPSB-8 battery box with the 8 switches for bass roll off from sound professionals. Could someone who also has this explain what exactly the "open" position is for the switches. It's a little unclear on the box. There's an "Off" at one end but this has an arrow pointing to the other end where it says "Rocker Down". According to sound prof "Off" = "Open" but is the switch Off/open when it is down at the end where the switch numbers and the "Off" are or when it is down at the end that says "rocker Down"

If anyone can make any sense of the above and can clarify it would be greatly appreciated as I'm totally confused

Thanks

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
Re: SP-SPSB-8 - question about switches
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:41:33 AM »
Hi,
I have an SP-SPSB-8 battery box with the 8 switches for bass roll off from sound professionals. Could someone who also has this explain what exactly the "open" position is for the switches. It's a little unclear on the box. There's an "Off" at one end but this has an arrow pointing to the other end where it says "Rocker Down". According to sound prof "Off" = "Open" but is the switch Off/open when it is down at the end where the switch numbers and the "Off" are or when it is down at the end that says "rocker Down"

If anyone can make any sense of the above and can clarify it would be greatly appreciated as I'm totally confused

Thanks

Welcome to TS.

You can download the Sound Pros "instruction" manual for the bass rolloff settings for their battery boxes from here.  Check out page 2 of that .DOC file... it says:

Your desired Roll-off Frequency       These switches set to the “open” position
16Hz (no roll-off)                           2,3,4
69Hz                                            1,4
95Hz                                            1,3
107Hz                                          1,3,4
160Hz                                          1,2
195Hz                                          1,2,4
888Hz                                          1,2,3

That said, on an older Sound Pros battery box I have, it has the bass rolloff switches (the little red blocks with white switches) as follows: "Open" is at one end, and the numbers (1,2,3,4) are at the other end.  Flipping the switch down at the Open end = "Open"... so e.g. if I flip switches 1,3,4 "down" (at the side where it says Open) then that would basically* set the bass rolloff to 107 Hz, as stated from the aforemention manual.

* "Basically" = as in, the Sound Pro battery box is set for an input impedence on the recorder of 10 kOhm, if I recall correctly.  Obviously, the actual rolloff value would differ per recorder with the input impedence being a variable in the following bass rolloff equation: 1 / (2*pi*R*C)

where pi = ~3.14, R = Farad of the capacitor, and C = Ohm of the recorder's input.

Offline tmgtim

• Taperssection Newbie
    • The Mystery Guest
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:53:21 AM »
Thanks for that, it's a big help. I have the manual but just wasn't sure what "open" meant since my box doesn't have that written on it. However if you say that "Open" used to be on the opposite side to the numbers then I'll assume this is the open position on mine (where it says "Rocker Down")

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:05:34 AM »
Hmmm, now I'm starting to question this myself after reading this thread. I have the SP-SPSB-1 and in the manual I got with it it just says 'flip the switches to the open position'. I always thought that it meant when you have the white switch sticking 'OUT' at the open end indicates the roll-off?? So what you're saying is that the white switch needs to be 'Down' (i.e. not sticking out) at the open end to get the roll-off??

I'm now confused.   ::)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 01:04:12 PM »
Everything hyperplane said is correct. Rocker down (at the bottom) is definitely what they mean by open.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Mr.Scully

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 03:40:37 PM »
Everything hyperplane said is correct. Rocker down (at the bottom) is definitely what they mean by open.

Sorry to sound stupid but I want to be 100% sure I understood (and my first taping will come tomorrow :) So - "open position" means that the switch is FLAT (= pressed) on the bottom "rocker down" side, is that correct?

I think the instructions are pretty confusing because of the "OFF" arrow pointing down...

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 04:19:48 PM »
Absolutely correct.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com