Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Why do I have random spikes? (or: How can you tell a cables gone bad?)  (Read 2804 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
I was doing some test recordings tonight and noticed that I seem to get these random spikes in either channel (and not necessarily at the same time). It happens with:

- Either a UA-5 or the FR2-LE at the receiving end (so device independent)
- P48 on/off
- Mic plugged in or not.
- Coiled or not

So the only constant is the cable itself. I don't ever recall this happening, but it's not like I was looking either... It's a relatively new cable too, and I don't think I've abused it (I've done much worse to others when I was younger). Ideas?

edit: it would help if I didn't have gain and trim turned up to max... that would be why I haven't noticed it... So that means that at normal concert gain, I'd have to amp this by almost +80db to cause it to hit 0db.

it would probably help if I didn't post this in the archive... my bad  :-[
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:41:52 PM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Why do I have random spikes? (or: How can you tell a cables gone bad?)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:28:19 AM »
I'm probably misinterpreting your situation, but whenever I get random stuff happening, the first thing I suspect is the media.  My experience is that media that is too slow for your sampling rates/data throughput or media gone bad acts with a mind of its own. 

If you're seeing issues in both channels, wouldn't that rule out cable problems, since there would be a low chance same problem randomly crops up on two separate cables.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:36:36 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Why do I have random spikes? (or: How can you tell a cables gone bad?)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 01:51:57 PM »
I tried both my 8gb (24/96) from transmeta and my 4gb (24/44.1) from lexar in the fr2le, and my iriver (via the ua-5), same results

Also, I didn't specify it, but I have a dualy cable (5pin > 2 XLR), so issues in both channels (since they run in the same enclosure) shouldn't be an anomoly if something physical is wrong.

I havn't seen it before since I never run the gain and trim at full blast, so I don't know if having stuff at the -50db-ish range (after gain on full) is normal line noise, or what it is.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com