Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Buying a new receiver, need help on "HD Audio format signals capability"  (Read 2130 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
I am in the process of purchasing a bunch of dual-voltage and multisystem stuff to take overseas with me.  This requires me giving up my beloved Cambridge Audio 840A integrated amplifier and purchasing a Yamaha dual-voltage receiver.  I am not happy about this in the least.

I am going to purchase a Pioneer dual-voltage, multisystem DVD player that can play DVD-A.  This is important to me because I burn all of my live recordings to DVD-A using DiscWelder.  I notice that some of the receivers have a "HD Audio format signals capability" function and I don't know what this is.  Maybe not coincidentally, these are the receivers that cost upwards of $1,000 and I don't want to spend that much.  Could I play my 24/96 DVD-A recordings on this Pioneer DVD player (which plays DVD-A) into a cheaper Yamaha receiver without this function and still have a 24/96 signal coming out of my speakers?  Or do the electronics in the receiver manipulate the signal where it comes out in less than a 24/96 format?  Does the "HD Audio format" refer to Blu-Ray or something similar?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
if the DVD-A player has analog out then its internal DAC supports the higher bit depth that you want.

It really comes down to your equipment chain.

If you want your DVD player to simply act as a transport then you will want your receiver / DAC / etc to be capable of the bit depth you plan to pass it.

If you use the internal DAC of the DVD player and go ANALOG OUT > then you can use whatever amp you want

So an analog chain out of the DVD player will give you the 24/96 at the speakers. (provided the DVD player supports that playback)

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
Thanks.  This was exactly the information I was looking for.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline L Ron Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I figure the odds be 50/50"
I wonder if the HD audio format function or whatever it's called has to do with HD radio. (just a thought)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com