Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: carver amplifiers ??  (Read 6534 times)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
carver amplifiers ??
« on: June 29, 2004, 12:26:11 AM »
one of the girls that is moving out of the house i'm moving into year got some used stereo equipment gave to her.  she's leaving it cuz she doesn't want it and thought i might like to play with it.  i just took a quick look tonight but there were some misc amps and preamps and a receiver and whatnot...they were all Carver.  i didn't get any exact serial numbers but is this stuff any good.  i don't know exactly how old it is, but it doesn't look that old.  i looked up carver stuff on the net and didn't find too much, just saw that most of the stuff is pricey.  there were also some polk audio speakers.

is this stuff any good?  worth saving or even looking further into?

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: carver amplifiers ??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 01:02:38 AM »
grab the model numbers and point yourself over to www.audioasylum.com  do a quick search and you'll see pretty quickly whats good and whats not... throw the rest up on ebay.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 09:44:39 AM »
Carver does make some very nice gear.  Depending on what you have, you might have scored.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 06:28:05 PM »
hmm, after getting the serial numbers and looking up all the stuff...i'd say its all worth about $2-$3k roughly - however, i don't know if any of it works.  gonna have to wait till i move in to test it out...but damn, not bad for getting all the stuff for free.

what was actually over there...

Polk CS100 center speaker
Polk Monitor Series M3 monitors
Polk Real Time Array Series RTA-BTL stereo speakers
Velodyne V-1012-B sub
Yamaha MX-M70 mono amp
Adcom Digital GDD-1
Lexicon CP-3 THX surround sound processor
Carver TFM-6CB (there were two of these)
Carver TFM-15 Power amp
Carver Sonic Holography Preamp C-5

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 12:23:14 PM »
Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good score!  If you don't want the stuff, you can ship it to me and I'll find a use for it :)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 02:27:01 PM »
nice find!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 05:06:22 PM »
now i just have to figure out how to hook them up to my receiver.  there aren't any manuals.  i'm gonna have to go line out or i'll fry the amps...but i don't think my receiver (onkyo HTS760) has line outs on it.

i've never gotten this far in home audio and i have no idea what i'm doing

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 07:09:27 PM »
now i just have to figure out how to hook them up to my receiver.  there aren't any manuals.  i'm gonna have to go line out or i'll fry the amps...but i don't think my receiver (onkyo HTS760) has line outs on it.

i've never gotten this far in home audio and i have no idea what i'm doing

You could replace the receiver with the Carver Sonic Holography Preamp C-5??
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 12:48:57 AM »
+t...i will look into that.  have two stereo's in the living room...sounds like fun.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 07:29:26 AM »
+t...i will look into that.  have two stereo's in the living room...sounds like fun.

na, ...ditch your old reciever and stick w/your new carver surround system!
now, you have a garage stereo (or basement..bedroom..etc) as a home for your old stuff.
+T for dumb luck!

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 12:36:39 PM »
that's a huge score.  You are going to be happy when you get that dailed in. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 01:22:06 PM »
nice!

i'll probably be coming back here often with lots of other dumb questions.  i've never even checked out quality stereo equipment cuz i can't afford it...but i'm really looking forward to messing around with this stuff.  i move in on august 1st and at the moment, it can't come fast enuf.

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 01:24:14 AM »
lucky bastard
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 11:29:17 AM »
I have a carver sonic hologram generator i think it is a C-4
it was given to me. ithink carver is ment for gifts.
the show is over go home please.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2004, 06:16:21 PM »
well, i tried setting this all up when i moved in...ends up the preamplifier doesn't work, the amps still seem to work tho, but i can't tell being the fact that i have nothing to plug them into after the fact.  also, half the speakers work, and the others ones sound horrible.  so my excitement has dwindled a bit.  i'm thinking i might sell the stuff that does work, or at least seems to work properly cuz i don't have the money to fix up the preamp to run stuff thru.  only now, i have a question...

i can't run the amps with my normal receiver, cuz it doesn't have line-out to run to the amps, so i'd end up blowing the amps.  could i use my computers line out and have the computer be the "receiver"?  it wouldn't be powered, so it shouldn't do any damage to amps, right?

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2004, 06:04:57 PM »
awesome moke +t

i followed suit and set up the same arangement this morning...so far it sounds nice.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2004, 12:58:40 PM »
i might be stupid for doing this, but with my current setup i can't really enjoy these and the few broken things i can't really afford to get fixed.  I was thinking maybe i should sell them and try to put the money towards a v3 which i could definitely enjoy a lot more.  however, i have no idea how much any of this stuff costs, nor how much its worth nowadays.  I was helping some of you guys could help me out with prices before i put them up on ebay.

Polk CS100 center speaker - seems to work perfectly.

Polk Monitor Series M3 monitors - one speaker doesn't work, the other one sounds like ass, so i figured maybe i could sell them for parts.

Polk Real Time Array Series RTA-BTL stereo speakers - i'm keeping these.

Velodyne V-1012-B sub - seems to work perfectly, however the power button is broken and you just have to hit this little button.  the speaker box was also a little moldy, but was easily wiped off.

Yamaha MX-M70 mono amp - never tried this.

Adcom Digital GDD-1 - turns on just fine, but i don't have any of the proper cables to to actually test it.

Lexicon CP-3 THX surround sound processor - also turns on fine, but i don't have any cables to test it.

Carver TFM-6C - sounds ok, but when you move the gain/volume knobs theres static.

Carver TFM-6CB - sounds great, works great.

Carver TFM-15 Power amp - sounds great, works great.  only on the front there are analog needles for the levels, which look really cool, only they're stuck in one position.

Carver Sonic Holography Preamp C-5 - missing the power button and it doesn't turn on.  I'd imagine if spent a little bit of money on having this fixed, this whole system would be really nice, but i just don't have the money or the time.

all of stuff is in good condition, with minor cosmetic things here and there, but they've been sitting in a basement for quite sometime.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com