Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cary Audio Rocket 88 (mini) prototype  (Read 2536 times)

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
Cary Audio Rocket 88 (mini) prototype
« on: February 12, 2005, 07:43:21 PM »
I had to go to Cary Audio yesterday to pick up a few pre's and amp's they were servicing for us. Whenever I get to go to Cary Audio it is a huge treat. Not only are the owners and the guys that work there the nicest guys I have ever met, but they still love the gear as much as all of us combined. So, everytime we go over there for business, it always turns into pleasure as they can't wait to show us all the gear they have got in the works. We always get drug into the assembly warehouse so they can show us the all the prototypes that are currently being bench tested. We then usually go into their listening room where they have the $7k Kimber speaker cables, and all the Audio Magic cables you could ever want. From Excalibur II's all the way up to the Illusion and Clairvoyant's. They had a couple new power cables that I was quoted as being roughly $6,500 but I can't for the life of me remember the names. Anyway, on Friday's visit they showed me their newest tube amp which is the little brother to the current Rocket 88. They haven't come up with a name for it yet, only saying that is the "mini" Rocket. We usually get to sit for an hour or so and listen to all the new prototypes when we visit, but this time Greg, one of the owners, insisted I took this unit home for an extended period of time, and really put it through it's paces. I couldn't believe they were forcing gear on me to test, and were actually eager and truly interested in my review. With this being a "prototype" it does not yet have the fancy casing on it, just a plain steel chasis, but man does it sound excellent. It's been burning for about 48 hours now, and I am currently listening to the fairly new Alison Krauss & Union Station live SACD. This thing sounds sweet. I could use a little more juice, but for what this thing is going to cost new, it's a great piece. I snapped a few pics for those of you interested. If you would like to see their entire line of equipment, check out their website: http://www.caryaudio.com/

« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 09:10:49 PM by Jason B »

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Cary Audio Rocket 88 (mini) prototype
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 07:47:14 PM »
DAMN!!!   :o  :o

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 09:21:06 PM »
Beautiful piece of gear, I can only imagine how it sounds.

What kind of tubes does it use?  How much power does it have?  What is the expected going rate?

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 10:38:44 AM »
Awesome!!  I spoke with Dennis Had last year about the Rocket when I was shopping amps (although I ended up with an ARC VS55 over the Rocket) and he was one of the coolest guys I've ever spoken to in audio.  His enthusiasm is catching... And he's very willing to speak with potential/current customers (at length!).  Great guy.  I recommend Cary to lots of folks just because of that experience.

Those look like EL34's... 

I see only one tranny?  Any idea where the other 2 are?  Or is this a monoblock?

I am actually considering picking up a Rocket right now just to give me a different "flavor" when I want it...  The original ones have dropped to about a thousand bucks on the used market.

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 04:26:28 PM »

I see only one tranny?  Any idea where the other 2 are?  Or is this a monoblock?

Looks like its stereo the OPTs are between the EL34s (looks like ruby EL34STRs) and the power tranny (you can see the screws in the second picture down)...  Pretty cool, i'm assuming this guy is putting out ~30-40 wpc?  What imput tubes is the thing using?
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Jason B

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 10:28:28 PM »

looks like ruby EL34STRs

You are correct. The other tubes are Electro-Harmonix. Really not sure about the wpc though...

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 07:49:19 AM »
Duh, I didn't see the second photo the first time thru.  Must have scrolled too quickly :)

I hope he keeps the triode/UL switch...  And I'd like to see a feedback switch (to switch off neg. feedback). 

You know, I really like the sound of EL34s.  This amp will kick.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com