Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Car Speaker Help  (Read 4578 times)

Offline supernash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Car Speaker Help
« on: July 30, 2006, 04:44:53 PM »
i'm looking into new speakers for my car, though i dont want to spend a ton; want the best bang for my buck. i have a pioneer deh-p8600mp head unit and currently 4 pioneer speakers (6x9" in rear and 6.5" in front)

i'm looking at:
Pioneer 6" x 9" 3-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones (Pair)
Model: TS-A6971R
vs
Rockford Fosgate 6" x 9" 4-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cone (Pair)
Model: P1694C

Pioneer 6-1/2" 3-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones (Pair)
Model: TS-A1671R
vs
Rockford Fosgate 6-1/2" 3-Way Triaxial Speakers with Mica-Injected Polypropylene Cones (Pair)
Model: P163C

i'm thinking that i could get any of these speakers and not really have to get an amp, thoughts?
Avi

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: Car Speaker Help
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 12:09:18 AM »
What's your entire budget?  If it were me i'd ditch the 6x9s in favor of a single 10" sub and amp combo in the trunk and then get a set of components for the front doors/dash.  You can pick up Phoenix Gold all in one amps that will power everything for a couple hundred dollars and they're definately a good bang for the buck.  But if you're just looking for 6x9s and 6.5s that will run off your head unit you can pick anything besides full component systems.  For some flatter more accurate car speakers i'd recommend a few higher end companies:

CDT
Diamond Audio
Focal
Image Dynamics

These manufacturers focus more on pure referance sound quality than SPL so they offer much flatter response than the cheaper brands.  You should definately hit all of your local car audio dealers and demo the brands they carry to see what you actually think sounds best.  Once you decide what to get shop around online and score yourself a sick deal.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline supernash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 09:44:20 AM »
forgot to mention, i need trunk space so a sub isnt an option. i'd love to be able to drop $500+ on car audio but thats just not possible.  I'm looking to stay somewhere around $300 for the speakers (online price, not retail).
avi

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:59:05 AM »
whatever you do, stay away from crutchfield (unless you want to pay 2x as much)

maybe check out some quarts.  i've got a set of 5 1/4 inch mb quart components and they kick serious ass

3 way 6x9 titanium..found em for 89.95 online. DTC 169

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?dp=F2C202B2E6924253A3D363C3B357E373637343035313&stk_code=mbdtc169&svbname=31&CA=Y

Offline supernash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 11:19:56 AM »
would the MB Quart DKE116 6.5" 2-Way Coaxial Speakers be the other half of the set or is there a 3-way 6.5" MB quart out there?

for the online price, i think the mb quart might be worth it.

Offline tscales

• Taperssection Regular
    • .:www.timscales.net:.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 01:56:40 PM »
Quarts are my favorite, and I can't encourage you enough to get components up front - separates are the way to go.
Life's a garden.  Dig it.

AKG 393s > UA-5 (w-mod +) > D8 / Fujitsu T70G

Live Recordings..  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tscales

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 02:20:49 PM »
I was a fan of Infinty Kappa series back in the early 90s, not sure if they are still good...  MBQuart and Focal both make fantastic car speakers.  Can't go wrong with either of those 2. 

I'd get a component set for the front.  And I'd get a small amp, a nice one, like a SoundStream (look for a VanGogh) or even an Alpine V-series.  Getting an amp allow you to turn off the amp in your head-unit (less heat up front) and makes for less hiss/road noise as you turn it up - just like at home. 

Its hard to shop for audiphile Car stuff, most car audio is for those that want to make their fenders rattle, not for those that want to listen to nice clear music.

And Crutchfield is good for learning about what will fit your car, and various other tidbits of info.  But I wouldn't order from them...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline tscales

• Taperssection Regular
    • .:www.timscales.net:.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 03:15:06 PM »
I agree.    Dynaudio is another great car audio brand, but pricey.

I just put 6.5in kappa separates in the front and back of my car - and dynamatted the hell out of the doors and chassis - the kappas are a little bright for me, but they are really clean sounding, maybe I'm still breakin in the speakers and crossovers.  I also have a 50x4 alpine v series driving them and a infinity 10in powered sub (not too big for the back of my subi wagon)  I've been really happy with kenwood and infinity powered subs.

and...  I bought everything off ebay over the period of a year - slowly shopping around and watching auctions - paid less than half of the cheapest prices I could find for everything and installed it all myself - piece of cake.  I used cruthcfield for my first install years ago, and they are very supportive, but most of us can probably figure it out without paying their premium prices. 

tim

Life's a garden.  Dig it.

AKG 393s > UA-5 (w-mod +) > D8 / Fujitsu T70G

Live Recordings..  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tscales

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 03:22:51 PM »
I had Boston Fx series in my Cavi and loved every minute of them.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline supernash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »
even on ebay new MB Quarts are just as expensive as online stores (etronics, etc). unfortunately i dont know how much longer my current speakers are gonna hold out. i'm still trying to find a 3-way 6.5" spearker to compliment the rear 6x9s (if one even exists); though i think the 2-way will suffice.

as of now i can get the MB Quart DTC 169 for $85 plus shipping and the DKE 116 for $65 plus shipping.  for $150 i dont think i'm gonna get better speakers...thoughts?
Avi

cshepherd

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 04:41:42 PM »
Head unit amps won't be able to power a three speaker system very well.  Get the two way if you're on a budget.  6x9 is a car manufacturer's idea.  Your better speakers will be round.

Chris

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »
I can't remember, but I think Boston Acoustics makes a "plate" speaker, which is a 5" woofer and 1" tweeter on a 6x9 plate.  Designed to fit in a 6x9 hole, but gives you 5"+1" components...

And yeah, I can't recommend an amplifier more, if you are running a multiple speaker system...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline supernash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 05:01:04 PM »
thanks for the help. i'll look into the amps suggested and see what i can do with the funds i have....stupid debt...

Offline supernash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 10:56:44 PM »
i can get the Alpine MRP-F250 4/3/2 Channel Power Amplifier for $140 shipped...all said and done, $300 for the 4 speakers and amp. i think i'm pretty well set unless someone comes up with something i'm missing (save a sub). thanks again
Avi

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 11:34:08 PM »
Head unit amps won't be able to power a three speaker system very well.  Get the two way if you're on a budget.  6x9 is a car manufacturer's idea.  Your better speakers will be round.

Chris

i've got a head unit powering 6 speakers in my car (some mb quart components and some excelon 5 1/4s) and it's fine.  i used to think i needed an amp but i don't miss it much. 

avi, if you really want an amp, i have a phoenix gold xs4300 i'll send your way...it's just sitting at my parents' house (i almost forgot it was there). 

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PHOXS4300

35X4 at 4ohm, 75 x4 at 2.  it has some punch...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:38:17 PM by scott brown »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com