Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Car Speaker Help  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: Car Speaker Help
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 12:07:31 AM »
MB Quarts are decent for the price, but you get what you pay for.  I'll also agree that 6x9s are less accurate than round speakers and you can easily install round speakers in the same spot.  All that you have to do is make a wooden baffle that will fill the 6x9 hole with a 6.5" in the center, install it from under the rear deck so it's flush, and then re-upholster the rear deck so it looks stock.  you can do it all yourself for material costs, but the re-upholstering would cost you maybe $30 for the job.  if you're buying rear speakers anyway you might as well get a pair that match the fronts and then later install a small sub and a dvd head unit to have a 5.1 setup in your car.  definately takes normal volume listening to the next level. ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:10:18 AM by Evil Taper »
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline supernash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 08:33:58 AM »
again, i cant put a sub in my trunk; i need all the space i can get back there. i realize that you get what you pay for with any audio system which is why i'm tryin to get the most for my money and its sounding like the Quarts are the way to go.  if i werent $300,000 in debt i might be able to get something much nicer.
Avi

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 10:06:32 AM »
What kind of car are you talking about???

There may be a way to add a sub without putting it the trunk.  There are some pretty interesting new subs that are in enclosures that fit under your seat, etc...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline supernash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 10:08:40 AM »
98 honda accord

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 12:47:19 PM »
imho, one requires 1) >=1 external amp, and 2) a sub to get a car stereo to sound good with whatever you have for speakers, obviously better sound w/ better speakers. And you can do it faiirly cheaply if you want.

I drive an extended cab pickup truck.  2 amps sit inside the center console, one is a Precision Power amp powering a JL Audio 10" sub in a sealed box  (great stuff), and another Kicker amp for 4 satellites.  2 of the satellites are Klipsch ProMedia center speakers sitting on my dash, one on each side; conveniently, these are 4 ohm speakers - you can pick these up directly from Klipsch for $25/ea as replacement speakers. For the rears, I recently upgraded from Klipsch promedia w/ the 3" woofer and installed 2 Yamaha outdoor 2-way speakers (6 ohm), $100 for a pair, over the rear seat. The system kicks arse!   Very clean is the comment I hear most.  ANd it is.

It's sourced via a 1/8" mini stereo jack to RCA L/R going to the amps.  The 1/8" jack is usually plugged into a iRiver portable CD player powered w/ a cig lighter plug; the cd player is mounted on the dash face.   I can also use my Tascam HD-P2 as a source, which is great to hook up to check out the show that was just recorded on the way home :) 

Lots of flexibility and easy to change things around, once the amps are installed that is.

THis is installed in addition to the regular in-dash factory radio speakers, which I decided to leave alone so as to preserve AM radio which always seems to crap out when a different head unit is installed.

/Ken
retired

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com