Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Why is everyone unloading the Tascam HD-P2?  (Read 6094 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Why is everyone unloading the Tascam HD-P2?
« on: June 09, 2008, 03:37:07 AM »
I've noticed a ton of these coming up in the yardsale, gearslutz and ebay.  I don't see the FR-LE2's selling but occasionally.  Is there something about the Tascam that people don't like?  My guess would be more and more people either getting out of taping, or opting for multi-channel units.  I see more of the Marantz up for sale too.

Just wonderin' if more folks are getting out of the "real" game, and the stealth thing is taking over.  No offense to those folks, but a CSB>iRiver source just doesn't do it for me.
Socks are overrated.

stirinthesauce

Re: Why is everyone unloading the Tascam HD-P2?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:09:58 AM »
Well, I can't speak for others but, here is why I sold my p2.

I like to swap things up every now and then and the r-44 really caught my eye.  I wanted to go back to 4 channels so it was an easy swap.  Had a buddy on this board who wanted a new 2 channel rig so didn't even have to post it for sale.  Both cost about the same so the price difference was negligible.

FWIW, the p2 is a rock solid, very nice 2 channel rig.  I would buy it again over any other 2 channel recorder within the sub 2k price range.  And at under 1k, is a bargain.

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
everyone wants 4 ch and the tascam retains resale value better than the fr2 le is my opinion.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:54:27 AM »
i hardly think the resale on the fr2le is low. its been out for less than a year. there is nothing inherently "wrong" with the tascam or marantz other than their size compared to the newer 2 channel cf based 24 bit recorders.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 11:06:07 AM »
i guess i could have worded it different. tascam brings in more cash on resale.

stock tascam owners can sell their unit and put a couple hundred with it and buy a 4ch unit
stock fostex owners can sell theirs and have to put several hundred to get a 4ch unit

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 02:50:11 PM »
I sold mine to move to a 702.  There was nothing wrong with mine.  I loved it and would have kept it for my son, but needed the cashflow to fund the 702. I actually liked the stock pre's in it when I was forced to run it that way.  I used to run a minime in front. When that sold again to fund the 702, I had two shows to do yet before the 702 would materialize.......so I used the HD stock.  Had I known it sounded that good stock I may have used it more that way.  I think if your into open taping the HDP2 or the modded marantzs are the way to go as a starter rig....... >:D

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 03:13:35 PM »
I've noticed a ton of these coming up in the yardsale, gearslutz and ebay.  I don't see the FR-LE2's selling but occasionally.  Is there something about the Tascam that people don't like?  My guess would be more and more people either getting out of taping, or opting for multi-channel units.  I see more of the Marantz up for sale too.

Just wonderin' if more folks are getting out of the "real" game, and the stealth thing is taking over.  No offense to those folks, but a CSB>iRiver source just doesn't do it for me.

Not to sound like a jerk, but there's plenty of stealth tapes that sound loads better than open taping rigs, imho (and vice versa natch).

Not sure why you would choose CSB>iriver's to represent stealth rigs...I personally use 4061's and yeah, an iriver....I'm still waiting for a company to release a recorder that will easily trounce the H1X0 series in terms of battery life, ease of use and basically being idiot-proof. 

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »

Not to sound like a jerk, but there's plenty of stealth tapes that sound loads better than open taping rigs, imho (and vice versa natch).

Not sure why you would choose CSB>iriver's to represent stealth rigs...I personally use 4061's and yeah, an iriver....I'm still waiting for a company to release a recorder that will easily trounce the H1X0 series in terms of battery life, ease of use and basically being idiot-proof. 

What about the Edirol R09?  That is a great rig.  I've used it for both "open" and "stealth" shows.  As long as the mics output enough, this rig sounds great!

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 05:52:30 PM »
everyone wants 4 ch and the tascam retains resale value better than the fr2 le is my opinion.

i wouldn't say EVERYONE wants to go 4ch.  i think it has it's place, but for 90% of the stuff i tape, 4chan AUD is kinda of overkill.  but, YMMV.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

stirinthesauce

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:19:49 AM »
yeah, just transferred the last show taped with my p2, which I ran stock with no pre or a/d in front and it sounds fantastic.  Great box out of the box  ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 01:11:49 AM »
I think "most" folks are selling their HDP2's to fund a 7xx recorder.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 02:00:10 AM »

What about the Edirol R09?  That is a great rig.  I've used it for both "open" and "stealth" shows.  As long as the mics output enough, this rig sounds great!

Richard

to both of yahs, better than a OADE mod 660? :P
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »
i guess i could have worded it different. tascam brings in more cash on resale.

stock tascam owners can sell their unit and put a couple hundred with it and buy a 4ch unit
stock fostex owners can sell theirs and have to put several hundred to get a 4ch unit
tascam owners also put a few hundred in from the start
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com