Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I'm going crazy trying to decide...  (Read 4035 times)

Offline TheBishop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I'm going crazy trying to decide...
« on: November 24, 2019, 11:25:51 AM »
I've recently got back in to taping, and Christmas is coming up.  Right now I'm rolling a Tascam HD-P2 and Sennheiser ME80/40 mics.  I do have *one* ME20 at my disposal as well.

I was thinking that I wanted some new mics since mine came to me 2nd or 3rd hand and are 30 or 40 years old at this point.  So I've been doing some research.  While I'd love to have some Schoeps or Neumanns, that ain't in my budget.  Hell, even new AKGs aren't even in my budget, my budget being maybe up to $500.

So I've been listening to a lot of shows on the LMA to check out different "budget" mics, and I am not hearing any differences there that really make me want to change mics.

I was thinking that maybe I'd give the Line Audio CM4s a try, but there aren't a lot of examples of them out on the Archive. There a some of the CM3s, but it seems like they excel with acoustic acts and well behaved crowds. I've been digging in the stacks here, and there was a lot of talk about the Busman BSC1s, but it seems like the Busman guy has disappeared.  I checked out several Rodes, but again, I didn't feel like I'd really be gaining anything.

I really like the flexibility of interchangeable capsules.

Listening to the shows, I'm also thinking that maybe I prefer the sound of my supercardioids over omnis or standard cardioids.  Or maybe I'm just used to them.

Here are a couple of examples of shows that I've recorded...

Melvin Seals & JGB (Sennheiser ME80): https://archive.org/details/jgb2019-10-24.aud.flac24

Larry Keel Experience (Sennheiser ME40): https://archive.org/details/lke2019-11-16.aud.2448

And here is Ratdog from 20 years ago with those same ME80s: https://archive.org/details/rd1999-11-09.AUD.148334.flac16

I used to tape in large theatres and outdoor shows from the lawn, with the occasional small club.  Now I think that I'll probably be doing more small venue stuff (capacity 120-600), with the occasional outdoor festival (Lockn').  There aren't many large theatres where I live now.

Should I continue my mic search, or maybe look at a new recorder (which I also want) that would allow me to record 4 or 6 tracks a time? Are there any shows on the Archive that you feel really show how well some of the budget mikes can shine?

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Re: I'm going crazy trying to decide...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 11:48:35 AM »
I was thinking that maybe I'd give the Line Audio CM4s a try

That's my first thought with that budget.  The only thing with those being flat mics, at distance you may find yourself needing to add treble, but not a big deal.   I run ruler flat Sennheisers all the time without having to add treble. 

Those samples sound fine, really.  I can't fault those Senn you have. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 02:50:41 PM by EmRR »
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 02:07:55 PM »
Nice pair of ADK A51 TL' in the yard sale for $500.00, 4 patterns great bang for your buck value.
Barrett
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 11:31:28 AM by barrettphisher »
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »
Continue searching until you find something that you unequivocally find to be a big upgrade.  Only you will know when you've found it, and you should keep an open mind.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline TheBishop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 09:02:54 PM »
Continue searching until you find something that you unequivocally find to be a big upgrade.  Only you will know when you've found it, and you should keep an open mind.

I think that is how I’m leaning.  I think I am going to look at picking up another ME20 and maybe a new multitrack recorder like the Tascam DR-680MKII.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 09:04:29 AM »
I was thinking that maybe I'd give the Line Audio CM4s a try, but there aren't a lot of examples of them out on the Archive.

Listening to the shows, I'm also thinking that maybe I prefer the sound of my supercardioids over omnis or standard cardioids.  Or maybe I'm just used to them.

If you prefer more directional mics, you might not like the Line Audios. They are a little more open than many cardioids (he describes them on his site as "slightly wide cardioid"). I think Heathen's advice is good: take your time and find something you really like...

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 04:37:51 PM »
I was thinking that maybe I'd give the Line Audio CM4s a try, but there aren't a lot of examples of them out on the Archive.

If you prefer more directional mics, you might not like the Line Audios. They are a little more open than many cardioids (he describes them on his site as "slightly wide cardioid"). I think Heathen's advice is good: take your time and find something you really like...

then buy those mics. then a couple years later,  buy some new mics. that you think you will like better . Rinse and repeat!

Offline TheBishop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 04:41:51 PM »
It's a vicious cycle...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 06:05:14 PM »
^ I don't think it has to be, if you think carefully about what your current set up is lacking, listen to lots of samples and read lots of opinions. Take your time, save up your money, and get what you think will best address your concerns. You might still end up going through the process several times (particularly to address different recording situations), but I think you can avoid "upgrade-itis" to some extent by putting a lot of thought into your purchases before impulsively pulling the trigger...

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 06:48:03 PM »
Just keep going with the Senns.

Next step?  My recommendation, Beyerdynamic MC930 Stereo Pair, $800-$1000 street price.
Great sound for what we do.  Super robust, high output, sent directly to your deck,line input.

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 08:09:43 PM »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 09:14:34 AM »

I recently sold pairs of Schoeps MK41 (hypercard) and MBHO KA300 (wide card) and ended up staying with a pair of Joly modified Okatava MK012. The cardioid caps sound remarkably like the Neumann AK40 and the hyper caps sound great with plenty of off axis rejection and nice bass response. Haven't had a chance to run the omnis on a split but I will next summer when I get some outside shows.

Got the pair with all three capsule sets (factory matched with response curve charts) for under $600 gently used.

Here's an up close recording a couple feet from the stage with the cardioids - https://archive.org/details/thp2019-11-16.jolymod.oktava.stagelip - straight into the preamps on a Tascam DR701d
and one with the hypers from the back of the floor of a boomy arena - https://soundcloud.com/roger-cox-7/02heypockyway?in=roger-cox-7/sets/widespread-panic-2019-10-31-and-11-02-lakefront-arena-special-guests-and-covers-compilation - into a Grace V2

I don't know that you would realize a big improvement over your current mics but it's an option that fits the criteria if you want to try something different.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline TheBishop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 10:06:39 AM »
Thanks, I'll listen to them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com