Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To Windscreen Or Not to Windscreen...  (Read 8026 times)

Online ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
To Windscreen Or Not to Windscreen...
« on: April 25, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
That is my question!

I see a lot of photos in the Rig Pictures section with windscreens on inside venues. Kind of wanted to know the reasoning for that (other than possible AC Fans or other "wind" causing systems). Is it a small/large venue thing?

Reason I am asking is I have a taping tomorrow night at a really large venue with a large seated crowd and if there is a purpose for using the screens indoors at a show like this I would want to test it out or under what conditions should I consider the screens. I have seen that the screens do muffle a bit of the really loud applauds in the past.

So some clarification would be great!

Thanks
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
Re: To Windscreen Or Not to Windscreen...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:32:56 PM »
don't forget about smoke

Online ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Moke

Thanks for the quick reply. I kind of figured it was due to AC systems/fans but wanted to be sure. Kind of feel stupid now second guessing myself!

Darby

I live in the fortunate state of CA where we banned all indoor smoking! Sucks for some people but it's awesome for my gear!

Thanks
+Ts guys
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s

Offline hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 12:00:59 AM »
When in doubt, +windscreen. ;D

Offline anarkust

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 09:11:15 AM »
I've been totally blown away indoors.

It's happened to me also, but not the way your talking about. ;)

don't forget about smoke

What's the deal with the smoke?

Gabriel

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 09:21:21 AM »
It leaves a very nasty film on things; the interior of your lungs, your skin, the body and diaphragm of the mic (the diaphragm is what you really want to protect) basically anything it comes in contact with. Ever noticed how your clothes and hair smell after a night in a smoky bar? Your mics can acquire the same odor and you don't want that residue/film on your diaphragm which would take a visit to a qualified service center to remove. Pure speculation on my part but repeated exposures to smoke could add a tiny bit of mass to the diaphragm and subtly change the characterisitcs of the mic as well as acting as a sticky trap for any solid airborne particles that encounter the diaphragm and trap them there, further changing the characteristics of the mic.
Having a father who smokes, I hate to visit as my clothes acquire that odor even though they hang in a closet at the other end of the house from the room he smokes in. The smoking room also has a light brownish tint to it the other rooms don't have and it's darkest directly above the ashtray on his desk.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 09:23:26 AM by flipp »

Offline grider

• always give more than you take
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »
always use them, if you don't need really need them there is no harm in having them there, if you do need them they will save your recording, if you need them and do not have them your recording will be unusable and the act of recording will ultimately be a waste of time

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »
It is also a little added protection if someone knocks over your stand.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Online ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 11:48:07 AM »
All valid points, maybe I'll roll tape with the screens on tonight. I always pack everything to do with my gear and end up carrying 1 extra bag for "just in case" scenarios.

What do you guys think about excessive cologne/perfume exposure to unprotected mics? I ask because I was looking at some nice vocal mics used by some guy at his home studio and his room/studio just reeked of Curve cologne and after getting a deal on the new mic, I got home and could still smell that awful stuff on the mic for at least a day. I couldnt help but think about whats evaporating off the internal parts of the mic.

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 08:13:49 AM »
i think cologne/perfume will be an alcohol based substance which will have much higher evaporative quality than smoke. i don't see how that could be an issue. ymmv

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 08:56:13 AM »
I've never used windscreens indoors.  I've never had a fan/ac audible on one of my recordings.  Obviously it can't hurt, but I think for most indoor scenarios it's just kind of anal.  Then again I used to be a lot more anal about my gear and recordings.
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

wklitz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 09:25:11 AM »
I've never used windscreens indoors.  I've never had a fan/ac audible on one of my recordings.  Obviously it can't hurt, but I think for most indoor scenarios it's just kind of anal.  Then again I used to be a lot more anal about my gear and recordings.

I hear you, kind of never made sense to use them indoors unless in direct line of attack of fans, which of course in most instances, I would move the mics.  There has even been times I didnt bother using windscreens outdoors in some summer sheds, most notably Panic in Bethel last year.  I use screens as little as possible, no matter what you think, they are affecting the sound.

As far as smoke goes...I am a smoker and have smoked right next to the same pair of MK4V's for the last 10 years and they still sound the same as they did when they were new.

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 09:37:16 AM »
A better question would be, "Is there ever an occasion when I should not use windscreens?"

I always use windscreens no matter where I'm taping. I've had issues because I hadn't used them indoors on the few occasions. If someone opens a door to let some air in, or an AC or fan kicks on, or a balloon hits the cap and pops then you'd be sorry you didn't. Better to be safe than sorry.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 10:52:47 AM »
I had this same question in my head not long ago and studied the indoor rig shots people posted. Looks like 95% of the time people are using screens, so I am going to follow the masses on this one.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline datbrad

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 03:05:30 PM »
I use them for what they are intended to do, prevent blowing wind effects on the capsules. Once, I taped WSP at Baltimore's Pier 6 in '96 and forgot my screens. Even with the constant wind off the harbor, the sound pressure of the PA FOB was so strong that there was no wind noise during the music. It was the opposite of what I expected.

However, this was a fluke and I always use them outside because you can't luck out like this very often.

For indoors:

Air/wind blowing - I use them

No air/wind blowing - I don't because of the audible effect of the slight roll off at the higher frequencies.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.201 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com