Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To Windscreen Or Not to Windscreen...  (Read 8040 times)

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Houston
Re: To Windscreen Or Not to Windscreen...
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Indoor HVAC distortions to microphones without foams during chamber music. The wind/air movement could not be felt.

YUP - you can't always here the wind noise, but it's there.  Talk to mic repair people as well - smoke residue can build up over time on the diaphragm of the mics as well as in the lungs just above your diaphragm.  One might cause sound quality issues, the other may cause you to die of cancer.  YMMV.

PS - Moke - what software are you using on the mac?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 07:27:53 PM »
I always use the little windscreens that came with my SPC4s indoors.
They fit my Pelusos well, offer no real protection from more than the slightest breeze but I feel better knowing the mics have a line of defense from smoke or thrown beer..etc
I don't think I've ever heard a ventilation system on one of my recordings but I record 95% loud amplified bands.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 09:27:19 PM »

always. aside from wind that you don't notice while setting up -- when the place is empty it's not as warm as when it's filled with sweaty freaks... they might not turn on the blowers for a while..

condenser mics attract particulates when operating as they carry a static charge. it's not smoke alone as a lot of places are smoke free, but all kinds of dust that exist when people shuffle around, wind blows, etc
db

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 02:02:34 AM »
  I use screens as little as possible, no matter what you think, they are affecting the sound.
Same here. But they are an absolute necessity when running outdoors if there is ANY chance of wind, and in certain cases indoors (A/C vent right near the best taping spot in particular)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 03:04:17 AM »
Cards are more sensitive.  I always put windscreens on mine.  Omnis, only when there is a noticeable breeze.  I have only used my omnis inside so far and have not put windscreens on them.  Somewhere on the mfr's site they mention pouring talcom powder on the diapragms of the omnis with no measureable effect.  I will not pour talc on mine.  But I could!   LOL

I have huge Rycote windscreens for the cards outside.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 03:50:58 AM »
First off, I use the Big-Ass Shures ALL THE TIME outdoors. I use the bigger DPA screens indoors and they are ALWAYS on my MBHO Capsules on my DINa KwonBar for protection when transporting them, and they stay on the capsules from around end of summer til around May when I start seeing shows outdoors. They also help protect from smoke, and they just make me feel better in case some drunk w00k knocks my stand over, the capsules would be ALOT more safe taking a hit like that w/ the DPA screens, than w/ out them ;) I still duct tape my stand down to the ground, and guard it the whole show mostly, but ANYTHING can happen. The only time IU have personally seen a stand go down was late into Phish's Y@K Millenium set til sunrise, and it was NOT pretty :( It may not happen alot, but the possibility is ALWAYS there for me, and possibly alot of you tapers as well, depending on what type of music and venues and crowds you're into.

So I would say I am "PRO SCREENS 100% OF THE TIME" ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 03:48:40 PM »
Thanks guys.

All some really great input. I didnt realize the condensers attract dust... most definitely an issue for my mc930s.

I am trying to take recording shows more seriously lately so this really helped a lot. Tomorrow I am taping Dark Meat in their hippy tour bus, 17pc band. No telling what kind of dust/residue could get kicked up in that thing!!  ;)
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
I hear that ganja smoke leaves a terribly sticky residue on mic diaphragms. But if you partake enough you just wont care!
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 10:12:32 AM »
I live in the fortunate state of CA where we banned all indoor smoking! Sucks for some people but it's awesome for my gear!

I guess that ban does not apply to weed - since the two shows I attended at the GAMH was a major smokefest (not that I'm complaining)

Offline trajhip2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 01:02:21 PM »
I live in the fortunate state of CA where we banned all indoor smoking! Sucks for some people but it's awesome for my gear!

I guess that ban does not apply to weed - since the two shows I attended at the GAMH was a major smokefest (not that I'm complaining)

I'm sure that was all medical use...

I too have had indoor recordings blown because of moving air from fans etc. One of the worst spots is under the mirror ball at the SF Fillmore, when that blower is going watch out! I routinely use the thin Schoeps foam dust covers on my mics indoors if I don't expect moving air, but if it looks like there's any chance of that the B5Ds go on. Wind noise can be very hard to remove in post.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:10:37 PM by trajhip2000 »

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
  I use screens as little as possible, no matter what you think, they are affecting the sound.
Same here. But they are an absolute necessity when running outdoors if there is ANY chance of wind, and in certain cases indoors (A/C vent right near the best taping spot in particular)

Same thing here.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 02:35:59 PM »
Here's a related question I've been wondering about: when taping outdoors and using rats, do you still use the windscreen or does the rat do everything you need?
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 01:27:56 PM »
Here's a related question I've been wondering about: when taping outdoors and using rats, do you still use the windscreen or does the rat do everything you need?

I just had my first experience using Dead Rats. I had some made for me for both my Busman BSC1's and my Berliner CM 33's. These were nice long haired blue rats that covered the entire mic, velcroed close on the bottom by the shockmount. They had a hole at the rear (were talking rats here so I am not going to use any colorful phrases) for the back of the mic to stick out so I could connect my XLR jack. They were designed to go over my WindTech windscreens.

I was really sceptical and worried about loss of high end. Also I had them mad and brought them to the 10klf festival, which is at times extremely "knock your stand down" windy.

I was stunned to find that I had no loss of sound, they performed flawlessly, and so far I have heard one gust of wind, slightly during some talking between songs. Thay exceeded my expectations by a large margin. I know from other recordings of the same sets from other tapers that wind was a factor too, so I am happy as can be.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 01:37:12 PM »
Another reason to use windscreens is the amount of wind coming from a PA system there is alot of air movement and if you have ever been in front of a big stack of sub woofers you will know what I am talking about. That accounts for nearly 50% of the claims for overloading mics. Yet another good reason to keep the windscreens on.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 11:31:06 PM »
Ever since Wilco 7-10-2006 they never come off. Indoor venue. Taped there plenty of times.  Decided to throw the stand up extra high to cut down on crowd noise and happened to be right in the path of the ventilation (couldn't tell from looking).  Low sporadic rumbling between songs and during quiet interludes.  Lesson learned.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.162 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com