Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Please help Id these mics?  (Read 2744 times)

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Please help Id these mics?
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:52:36 PM »
Hey
I see these mics used in lots of 70's bbc broadcasts.. They sound great.. THey look like an old telefunken like an m201 or a cm61 with some sort of gooseneck attachment. Any info would be great. here is a link to Joni playing in 1970 2 mics pictured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q4foLKDlcE

Thanks
A
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:54:56 PM by aegert »
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Please help Id these mics?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:35:01 PM »
I would like to know as well. Looks like a fun mic to run at a show.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 07:59:43 AM »
It's an AKG C451 with CK1 head and the VR1 extension tube.  The vocal version has W17 metal windshield on it.

The BBC used these a lot then - I think because AKG gave them a load.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:01:18 AM by John Willett »

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:43:39 AM »
It's an AKG C451 with CK1 head and the VR1 extension tube.  The vocal version has W17 metal windshield on it.

John thanks so much.. They did a great job.. I have a few c460b and would love to use that for the acoustic sound reinforcement I have been doing at my kids sleep away camp. I will try to get a few vr61's.. The pick ups in those acoustic guitars suck! LOL :-) It is a nice unobtrusive set up to be sure

Thanks again Sir John...
A
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

Offline 0vu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:54:07 PM »

Sorry, no. It's a C28 (or maybe a 28a or 29 or 30 but that series anyway)with a VR 29 extension tube and whatever the windshield was called for those.

Definitely not a C451/VR1 though. The shape of the mic at the conector is different, as is the shape of the VR and the way it connects to the mic. And the capsule shape is different.. And the diameter of the mic is too large for a C451.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:02:24 PM by 0vu »

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:08:43 PM »

Sorry, no. It's a C28 (or maybe a 28a or 29 or 30 but that series anyway)with a VR 29 extension tube and whatever the windshield was called for those.

Definitely not a C451/VR1 though. The shape of the mic at the conector is different, as is the shape of the VR and the way it connects to the mic. And the capsule shape is different.. And the diameter of the mic is too large for a C451.

OK, I bow to the expert.

But the BBC ones were what I said, even if the ones in the clip wern't - on a second look I see that the bend in the extension tube is different from the VR1 I have.

Cheers

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 03:01:02 PM »
thanks again every one.. They sound great.. The c28x makes sense. I think that uses same tube and trany as the ela M mics. please correct me if I'm wrong. Man I would love a pair of those.. Anybody want to buy some kids cheep! :-)

A

www.motb.org

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com