Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Unmatched Pair ??  (Read 2064 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Unmatched Pair ??
« on: June 05, 2004, 04:10:14 PM »
What is the deal with getting an unmatched pair of mics?  For example picking up two random U89's off ebay?  Would one just be a few db louder than the other?  Would they sound different?  Would you be able to tell?  I like being anal as much as the next taper.  However, if you can save money and not tell the difference why stress on getting a matched pair?  My guess is that with some mics it may be more of an issue than with others?  With what mics is this a concern?   No upgrade in mind just wondering what your experience has been.  Thanks for your help.
Ed
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
Re:Unmatched Pair ??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 04:23:56 PM »
from my experience, matching isnt that important if the mics are from a reputable manufacturer. when quality control is high, mic performance matching is pretty much a non-isue.
AKG only matches 1 model of their 414 series...not even the 480s. I believe Neumann only matches their skm180 and skm140 series and Schoeps only the mk caps??

with name brand manufacturers, if the serial #s are close,  I say don't worry about it as they were manufacturered at the same time(roughly). my ADK TL's aren't matched and their serials differ by about 100+ and I can only notice MAYBE 1-2dbs difference, a difference easily compensated for with the preamp.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 05:56:45 PM »
with name brand manufacturers, if the serial #s are close,  I say don't worry about it as they were manufacturered at the same time(roughly). my ADK TL's aren't matched and their serials differ by about 100+ and I can only notice MAYBE 1-2dbs difference, a difference easily compensated for with the preamp.

my TL's are matched, and differ by 77 serial numbers

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 07:59:49 PM »
I think this has been discussed before, but serial numbers mean nothing when it comes to matching.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 01:05:50 AM »
well i dont know that id say serial numbers mean nothing, but generally if you get mics that are close to eachother in serial number you are more likely to have mics off the same production line and made of the same quality

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com