Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: U89 and LD questions??  (Read 2285 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
U89 and LD questions??
« on: January 16, 2005, 01:31:10 PM »
I have a pair of U89's on the way ;D and have a few questions for anyone who has run these or feels they have something to share. 

1.  Shock mounts?  How do they work with out shock mounts?  Better safe than sorry, but are they necessary?  What mounts will work?  ADK?  The ebay LD shocks?  The Neumann shocks seem too big and not very economical.   

2.  Windscreens?  There has been a lot of talk about using screens all the time.  With my sd mics I had some small DPA’s I used in clubs.  Thank god there is no more smoking in NY.  Is there anything similar for LD’s?  Neumann makes a pair of screens, what else is out there?  How do the Neumann screens hold up in windy conditions?  Something small and something big would be great.  Can I get the furry rat screens for LD’s?  Who makes them again?

3.  Pre’s?  Currently I have on loan a PSP-3.  I can get a V2 but won’t have the opportunity to a/b them.  I will be running u89> ?> minime.  What pre fits best with these mics and this combo.  And don’t say a v3.  I know you love them but that is not the question.  I would be open to any pre just let me know what you think.  Samples would be great and size is not an issue.  I try it with just the minime that a/b I can do. 

4.  Clamp?  I have a large assortment of small wimpy clamps that work great for SD or actives.  Looks like it is time to step up to a hard core clamp.  What do you LD people use?  I will be clamping to a vertical railing a lot.  Many of these clamps seem like they are for a horizontal rail.  It is hard to tell from the web images available how versatile they are.  I like options and don’t want to carry more than one of these monsters around.   

People like myself post these questions out of excitement ;D before they get new toys all the time.  Many of these things will fall in to place when the mics are in hand.  But any suggestions would be very helpful.  In the mail anxiety gets the best of us all  >:(.  I am glad we have a support group to get us threw these rough times ;).
Thanks,
Ed   
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: U89 and LD questions??
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 01:41:15 PM »
4.  Clamp?  I have a large assortment of small wimpy clamps that work great for SD or actives.  Looks like it is time to step up to a hard core clamp.  What do you LD people use?  I will be clamping to a vertical railing a lot.  Many of these clamps seem like they are for a horizontal rail.

The Bogen Superclamp is uber-robust and easy to schlep around.  Jaws only accomodate ~2.5", though, so depending on the width of the bar onto which you're clamping, it may or may not work.  You'd prolly need to add a short right-angle extension since you're clamping to a vertical bar (sorry, don't know the part # off-hand).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 03:39:41 PM »
the v2/mini-me is a sweet combo if you can get past the whole cal pot issue which is a major pain sometimes.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 05:31:19 PM »
I have a pair of U89's on the way ;D and have a few questions for anyone who has run these or feels they have something to share. 

Congrats, I miss mine everyshow

1.  Shock mounts?  How do they work with out shock mounts?  Better safe than sorry, but are they necessary?  What mounts will work?  ADK?  The ebay LD shocks?  The Neumann shocks seem too big and not very economical.   

I used some rode shocks, the adk's were a bit to big. If I was doing it all over again I would just spend $200 on the ringmounts from Neumann, the mics are internally shockmounted and don't need to be shockmounted

2.  Windscreens?  There has been a lot of talk about using screens all the time.  With my sd mics I had some small DPA’s I used in clubs.  Thank god there is no more smoking in NY.  Is there anything similar for LD’s?  Neumann makes a pair of screens, what else is out there?  How do the Neumann screens hold up in windy conditions?  Something small and something big would be great.  Can I get the furry rat screens for LD’s?  Who makes them again?

the ws89 is the only screen you will ever need

3.  Pre’s?  Currently I have on loan a PSP-3.  I can get a V2 but won’t have the opportunity to a/b them.  I will be running u89> ?> minime.  What pre fits best with these mics and this combo.  And don’t say a v3.  I know you love them but that is not the question.  I would be open to any pre just let me know what you think.  Samples would be great and size is not an issue.  I try it with just the minime that a/b I can do. 

I ran a lot of different combos, V2->Minime was very nice.

step up to a hard core clamp.  What do you LD people use?  I will be clamping to a vertical railing a lot.  Many of these clamps seem like they are for a horizontal rail.  It is hard to tell from the web images available how versatile they are.  I like options and don’t want to carry more than one of these monsters around.

I always used the same clamp that I used for my active cables, nothing special at all.     

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 05:41:05 PM »
the v2/mini-me is a sweet combo if you can get past the whole cal pot issue which is a major pain sometimes.

shouldn't be an issue with a variable gain pre... just calibrate it at home once and you shouldn't ever have to touch the calpots again.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 03:23:37 AM »
Awesome pickup. T+.  I consider the U89s: "The Holy Grail of Mics."  Spectacular grab.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.156 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com