Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Balanced Output from Three Wire Battery Box?  (Read 3013 times)

Offline flatbroker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Balanced Output from Three Wire Battery Box?
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:33:40 PM »
Long time lurker and first time poster here.  Great place.

Thanks to Hyperplane's excellent knowledge base sticky on 3 wire battery boxes on this site I have made a couple.  I would like to know if there would be a way to implement the pseudo balanced output circuit described in the attached pdf to feed a couple xlr inputs on a preamp?

I have phantom power supplies and adaptors, but a battery box with balanced outputs would be a lot more portable, not to mention concealable.

I have searched the site and see that pin 1 can be connected to pin 3 to make the connection unbalanced.  If there is no sonic penalty doing this versus the Jensen circuit then I'll go that route.  Hopefully one of the resident electronics experts will chime in.

Thanks

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Balanced Output from Three Wire Battery Box?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
You can always* feed unbalanced signals into balanced inputs; there's no need for conversion. All you need is a simple adapter.

Offline flatbroker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 10:24:50 PM »
Does the simple adaptor just ground pin 1 to pin 3?  If that's all there is to it I'll replace the two xlr inputs with a 3.5mm female jack (tying all the pin 1 and 3 wires to the barrel and each pin 2 wire to the ring and tip) and re-house the preamp into a project box half its current size.  The preamp has switchable phantom power so I'll have to hardwire that switch in its off setting.

If I'm on the right track I can make things even more compact by putting the three wire circuit inside the project box and use the preamp's 9v battery to power the mics.  That way I would have two TA3F's in and a 3.5mm cable out of the preamp. 

The guinea pig preamp would be a Beachtek DXA-SLR if it matters.  It only has 15dB of gain to start with.  Will I lose most of it doing this?  If so I can hack up a couple old Shure FP11's.

Thanks for your help.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:22:39 AM »
Where is the sticky on building a box? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks, Dan
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com