Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What are the best settings to normalize?  (Read 5966 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re:What are the best settings to normalize?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2003, 06:20:32 PM »
I wasn't you I was directing that at...

and flacs of your masters is a smart move... more people should be taking such a step before they engage in dsp work that they don't really comprehend.

regardless of how i do in the field (getting better after 1.5 yrs at it) i always keep an untouched 24bit/48khz flac fileset just in case....plus if i do have to do any processing on the file it gets done in this realm and thne later gets resampled/dither so all processing is done at the highest possible accuracy.  
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2003, 07:07:22 PM »
I'd suggest getting good levels in the field.

what a cocky ass comment, hehe, I love it!
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline phishn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a lizard!
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2003, 08:14:36 PM »
"I'd suggest getting good levels in the field. "  First off, I'll be running a DMIC-20 if I can ever get the damn thing to work.  The DMIC-20 only adjusts by 5db so there may be cases where the levels aren't perfect.  I know a Todd Mod may help but I dont dare screw with the unit since its not functioning properly untouched.
AKG391/92/93's-> Hydra Silver XLR's -> UA-5(Oade warm mod) -> Microtrack II,JB3

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2003, 05:36:54 AM »
what would be better, normalizing your recording or upping the volume a few db.  considering both are bad, but realizing you need to do something because you didn't get good enuf levels in the field.  i usually normalize, that way i know nothing got clipped, but would the volume increase be better?

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2003, 09:13:56 AM »
Re: rolling eyes...

i wasnt trying to say anything, just what i knew, thanks for shedding new light... 8)
I wasn't you I was directing that at...
It was me he was directing that at.  It just seemed that anything I put into words may have been taken as hostile and I didn't want to get into it...but yes, of course you should try and get good levels in the field.  I thought the questions was about what to do if you don't.

And if you're in the 24 bit realm, good levels become less of an issue.  No point in risking clips with that much resolution available.  You can be 12 dB down and still get an effective 22 bit resolution.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2003, 09:48:51 AM »
Usually in the field you can get pretty god leveles, but monitoring your levels is a hard task sometimes with souch loud music being played. There was only one time I didnt have to do any editing, but for the most part, editing is always the case
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2003, 04:50:01 PM »
I record 48 kHz to DAT.  If I'm going to burn a CD, I resample in WaveLab to 44.1 kHz. I've found very few instances where digital editing was necessary.

I have noticed "audible artifacts' from digital editing. Sometimes it adds a harshness to the recoding that wasn't there before.

To me, the best thing is to make a good 48 kHz tape to start with. Make a bit perfect transfer to the HD. Resample using quality software only if necessary. Cut your tracks with CDWav and make SHN/FLAC files or burn some audio CD's from those WAVs.

The less you mess with it, the better it'll sound.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com