Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ideas on a newbie rig??  (Read 5560 times)

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
Re:Ideas on a newbie rig??
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2003, 01:58:53 AM »
The more I think about it the more I am leaning straight towards a laptop setup, and correct me if I am misreading this..but I would then need to connect a USB cable AND a S/PDIF digi cable to the laptop in order to record.

It almost seems that I could setup a computer for the cost of the additional mods.

Well, when I looked into it, I figured that the real difference is in the accessories.  YMMV, but here's how I saw it:

--- Laptop Setup ---

The UA-5 fills the phantom/preamp/converter role, so you're plugging your mics into the UA-5 and the UA-5 directly into the computer via USB.  (The UA-5 sends audio over USB, the NJB3 just doesn't receive audio over USB.  Make sense?  You have a device driver on the laptop to translate the audio over the USB.)

BUT, you now have to make arrangements to run your laptop and the UA-5 on batteries for the length of the show.  I don't know about you, but my laptop won't run 2-3 hours on internal battery.  I used to have one that let you replace the CD drive with another battery, but I'm not even sure I'd get 2-3 hours out of that.  There are some slick devices out there to do the job, but you're looking at $200-$500 for one.

I'm not an expert, but everyone seems to say that you can put together a DIY power supply for the UA-5 for $50-$100.  (Remember, you have to have a battery AND charger.)

So, total cost *by the time you can use it*: $350+$200+$50 = $600 at the low end.

--- NJB3 ---

NJB3 costs about $200 (some higher, some lower), which added to your UA-5 comes to about $550.  Add in your UA-5 DIY PS and it's a wash.

BUT, you don't have to carry your high $$ laptop to shows then be pissed off when it comes back smelling like a well-used ashtray (like everything I take to a show) or worry about someone stepping on it and putting you out $1500 or not being able to do your work on it.  Doh!

Also, I ended up choosing the AD-20 over the UA-5 because for $325 (or less used) it gave me the same basic functionality as the UA-5 without the cost of a DIY battery as it runs for WAY longer than a show on a singly 9v.  That get's you down to $525 or so.

Of course, you might want to be able to use the UA-5 at home for recording (which it was really meant for).  I have a Digidesign 002R for that (8 track 24/96), so that's not really high on my list.

Transfers w/Firewire from the NJB3 are a dream, too.  1.2 gig show in just a minute or two.

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline wrecked420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2003, 02:12:01 AM »
i got ya...makes sense now. I was under the understanding that the NJB3 both sent and recieved audio over USB. I am checking out the ad-20 now too!

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2003, 05:00:58 PM »
Wrecked - I'll check with my buddy & send you an email.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com