Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Obstructed view" taping  (Read 4696 times)

Offline Willie T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
"Obstructed view" taping
« on: November 02, 2003, 11:26:25 PM »
So in a little over a month i am going to be taping a show from behind the stage.  Does anyone have experience with this or any suggestions.  I know i am about center behind the stage and about 5 rows back in MSG.  TIA
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
Re:"Obstructed view" taping
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 11:40:21 PM »
Why from behind the stage?? Are there PA's behind?? Stealth job?? Paint us a picture ;) Thanks....Jason
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 12:00:25 AM »
It's the dave and friends show at MSG, i doubt there will be PAs facing the back of the arena, but i doubt that my view will be truly obstructed  (fingers crossed, it was either that or seats in the 300s).  i run ksm 137s > ua5 .  would figure 8's or omnis good in this situation (i have some that i could borrow).  i will fill in more blanks if i can.  thanks
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 12:17:08 AM »
after taping 2 nights at MSG, I wouldn't run anything other than hypers.  YMMV
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 01:20:46 AM »
sounds like you may want a super direct pattern to pick up the sound, but that will be hit or miss

cpclark

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 03:35:23 AM »
maybe omni's would be best to pick up as much reverberating sound as possible, buy working with cards and some hypers exclusively in my taping experience, i could be way wrong, but omni's seem to be the best choice behind the stage, someone will chime in tomorrow with some better advice for sure

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 06:08:46 AM »
it they're selling seats back there, they should provide some fill.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 06:35:47 AM »
When I've sat rear stage for GD and Phish there are always speakers aimed back there....and the sound is actually pretty good.   I've always thought that you'd get a decent tape from rear stage as you're almost on top of the pa speakers.....the only drawback is that you'll be aiming at the crowd as well as the pa from back there.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 07:10:29 AM »
I hadn't thought about aiming into the crowd :\.  Thanks for the help so far.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 09:48:06 AM »
So in a little over a month i am going to be taping a show from behind the stage.  Does anyone have experience with this or any suggestions.  I know i am about center behind the stage and about 5 rows back in MSG.  TIA

I taped this show from behind the stage at MSG and it came out well:
http://www.geocities.com/shntrading/sourceinfo/u22001-10-25.km140.txt

However, 5 rows back in the 60's sections behind the stage is probably too low to get the PAs. I sat 2nd row in that section for the opener that night and all I heard was drums. Sections 114 and 116 are much closer to the PAs.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2003, 11:11:23 AM »
not sure if hypers would be the best pointing out toward the crowd, might just focus the crowd noise more.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Brian

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 02:26:48 PM »
There should be Stacks pointed right at you. the last DMB show i saw was directly from the side of the stage. they had stacks pointed right at us, the people directly behind the stage , and the peeps on the opposite side of the stage. I sat eye level with the stacks and it sounded amazing. didn't have a rig back then though but i imagine a good tape could be pulled.

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 03:13:27 PM »
That gives me some hope, thanks STL!

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 03:18:30 PM »
this is really really funny to me, because my old roommate and her fat friend always complain about being short and having a hard time seeing shows, and since one just learned to play the guitar and the other figured out how to play the demp on her keyboard, they were going to start a band called "obstructed view"...they've since moved away and i hadn't heard too much from them except stories of their drunken debauchery, and thought perhaps they had actually formed a band and you were going to tape them!

to which i would have replied - don't even fucking bother.  ;)
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 03:56:28 PM »
I've done it for GD before - turned out quite good from what I remember.  I was using a D6 back then and don't have the tape anymore.  Not only were the speakers right in my face, but they threw a great stereo image.  Jerry, Bob & Phil spent so much time messing around with their gear back then I think I saw their fronts more than their backs.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com