Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite Mics and why????  (Read 13545 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re:Favorite Mics and why????
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2003, 10:04:07 AM »
oh yea...

Still, my favorites are:

Neumann small diaphram mics.  Love that squishy, wet sound they have to them

AKG small diaphram mics.  Love that "sizzle" they have, especialy when recording WSP.

DPA omnis.  Ooohhh so realistic.
DPA cards, Ooooohh so punchy

Anything set up in a blumlein pair.
That should narrow it down.
:)

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2003, 10:25:10 AM »
exactly creek! I mean  you could have like $10,000 invested in a rig and still walk away making statements like this...

>>>>Soundfield ST-250!!!  I got mine about a month ago and have come out with some somewhat displeasing results, but I've about got it figured out.<<<<<

so you make the best tapes? what's the playback gear that you utilize to make these assements?

One thing that really makes taping enjoyable is the lack of competition.  I've always been somewhat disheartened by the competition that's so embedded in the performance of music (all the way from experiences in school bands to playing as an adult in rock bands), that I fully expected when I showed up with a newbie rig, people would laugh at me.

You know what -- they didn't.  Even when I showed up (the first time I recorded a show other than my own) with a Sony ECM-MS907 and an (old, even) MD using a freakin' boom mike stand, the only thing that happened was a guy with a quality rig came over after a few minutes and said, "Hey -- why don't you patch that MD off me instead."

Not trying to rant here.  I figure that "best tape" comment wasn't meant to indicate that he's trying to beat everyone else as much as just expressing that it's nice to know you got it right, as having a desirable source would indicate.

I think the "knowledge over gear" part of this thread is the best advice.  Certainly better results can be had with a $4500 mic than with my $300 C1000s, but as someone new to 2-mic stereo field recording, maybe it's better for me to spend some of the $4200 on going to more shows and learning how things work.  There's always time to get infected with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) later.  :)

In a number of threads (mostly started by njb3newbie, I see) I've recommended C1000s as starter mics, not as much because they're sonically superior to others in the price range (that's arguable and individual ears decide), but because of other practical reasons.  They get a lot of bashing, most of which I think is undeserved.  Maybe some of it is because it reminds people of what it was like getting started, not having the right gear, not knowing how to use it, etc.  I have to admit that for a while after I got my Modulus bass I wasn't a big fan of my old Mexican Fender jazz.  But now it's just a good old friend.

Sorry, everyone.  Looks like you got the brunt of my morning rambling...  :P

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2003, 10:39:22 AM »
"I think the "knowledge over gear" part of this thread is the best advice.  Certainly better results can be had with a $4500 mic than with my $300 C1000s, but as someone new to 2-mic stereo field recording, maybe it's better for me to spend some of the $4200 on going to more shows and learning how things work.  There's always time to get infected with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) later. "

IMO, the best way to spend $4k + in the taping world is to invest it into your stereo.
thats the conclusion I came to any way.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2003, 11:05:03 AM »
"I think the "knowledge over gear" part of this thread is the best advice.  Certainly better results can be had with a $4500 mic than with my $300 C1000s, but as someone new to 2-mic stereo field recording, maybe it's better for me to spend some of the $4200 on going to more shows and learning how things work.  There's always time to get infected with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) later. "

IMO, the best way to spend $4k + in the taping world is to invest it into your stereo.
thats the conclusion I came to any way.

agreed, a good play back system is key if one if going to enjoy one's recordings to the fullest....great gear and a shitty playback system really doesn't work too well.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2003, 01:27:16 PM »
 :lol: first time i've ever seen the st-250 suggested to a newbie looking for mic suggestions!  

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2003, 01:30:20 PM »
yeah, its like when Grandma asks what is a good car to get her from home to the grocery store and she is told a Landrover with nitrous boosts :)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Wes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2003, 01:30:28 PM »
 :lol:
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2003, 01:37:54 PM »
yeah, its like when Grandma asks what is a good car to get her from home to the grocery store and she is told a Landrover with nitrous boosts :)

:lol: :nightfevah:

+t

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2003, 02:28:12 PM »
Some of my fav tapes done with Gefell 2000's, and AKG 393's.. totally different sound, but I like them both.
I've got a Melvins show done with some Neumann 184's that I like, but a show from the same tour done with a AT single point stereo sounds a little cleaner to me.

I've got a nirvana show taped with Schoeps CMC 44 + MK 4  -> PCM recorder that sounds great. But I prefer the ECM909a -> WM-D6 source of the same show.

All depends on what you like sound wise.

-Jim

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2003, 02:44:36 PM »
>>The ST-250 is the best sounding and most virsitile microphone for stereo recording.  Bar none.
Other peoples opinions are lacking the ownership experience, or have not heard many Soundfield recordings on a true high-end playback system. <<

what if we have heard soundfield recordings on a high end system and still like other mics better? :)

>>Still, i'm confident that given equal circumstances the ST-250 will outperform any stero pair of amost any mic on the surface of the earth.

However...it has limitations to, and doesnt shine in all applications.<<

so what is it.  it'll outperform everyone and shine in all situations, or it won't shine in all situations?

i'm just bored and messing with you.  feel free to say "shut up scott." :)

Offline Tim

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2003, 03:27:20 PM »
Scott, you beat me to it.

I think you may be overstating yourself just a tad fella's!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2003, 09:12:34 AM »
I love schoeps, that is no secret, but trust what your ears like, not what others tell you sounds good.

the schoeps is strong in this one...

i like my km184's, love their sound, love their price.  when i go for more it will be neuman ld's

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2003, 09:46:18 AM »
"what if we have heard soundfield recordings on a high end system and still like other mics better? "

then you're obviously drunk
:)

overstating?  me?
no way, never.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2003, 10:46:20 AM »
You guys kill me, funny stuff.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline iphone

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2003, 01:58:35 PM »
never been a fan of the soundfield ...i rather spend the 5k over at stephen pauls lab.never been fan of stereo mics either..but that's just me..

0.4 micron mylar baby!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.156 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com