Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any experience with Michael Joly mic mods?  (Read 17856 times)

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Any experience with Michael Joly mic mods?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 04:01:46 PM »
Michael, What is the turnaround on the card capsule mod?  I am thinking to buy a second pair to have caps to use while out for mod and to mod in different fashion afterward....  It all depends on time!

Thanks,
Joe

Offline michaeljoly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Microphone Modification Design & Engineering
    • OktavaMod - Boutique Mics
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »
Michael, What is the turnaround on the card capsule mod?  I am thinking to buy a second pair to have caps to use while out for mod and to mod in different fashion afterward....  It all depends on time!

Thanks,
Joe

My turnaround is quick (mod on scheduled day, burn in for three days, then return ship via US Postal service Priority Mail) - but I'm booked out to November 2 right now, that's a fairly typical lead time for me.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 10:51:22 AM »
OK, maybe I'll be the "test dummy".  I'll send in a couple of MXL603 mics for modding, make some modded vs unmodded vs "known good mic" recordings, and post samples here.  As for a "know good mic" I don't have a KM84 or KM184 mic for comparison, but I do have a Sennheiser MKH800 which will have to do.

Mr. Joly has emailed me saying the turnaround time for my mods would be about 3 weeks, so it's going to be mid September before I get these samples posted.  BTW, Mr. Joly responded very quickly and completely to my emailed questions.
^^
notlance - Did you have your mics modded and if so what are your impressions of the modded mics?

Thanks.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 07:35:30 PM »
Yes, I got the mics modded.  I've run a few limited test and they are an improvement.  They still have a HF emphasis, but it is decreased and shifted up in frequency.

I'll have a chance to use them more in the next couple of weeks and perhaps I can get some samples posted.

My experience with Mr. Joly have been positive.  One of the caps he modified was not quite right, but he was quick to fix it.  You can tell a lot about a person when something goes wrong . Mr, Joly's acknowledged the problem and make it right.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com