Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looks like DPA is making a series with removable caps  (Read 31052 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Looks like DPA is making a series with removable caps
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
Interesting, a little HF bump to the card.  This must be what makes them more "musical."

Looks a lot like the Senn 8040 size-wise, no?  Also a bit bigger than optimal for  >:D

Kind of curious how that gun will sound.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »

Kind of expensive I think :)

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 05:12:26 PM »
Interesting, a little HF bump to the card.  This must be what makes them more "musical."

Looks a lot like the Senn 8040 size-wise, no?  Also a bit bigger than optimal for  >:D

the small on axis HF bump is already in the 402x card series, atleast it looks that way. I think any change in "musicalness" might be due to a different componant in the signal chain is being used, like a different brand/model opamp or fet somewhere.

And yes, it does look like the 8040 sizewise.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 06:53:45 PM »
A few more details on the DPA site since this thread first appeared (including that the compact pre is 1.6 inches long, so ~2.5 inches with capsule)...Also, they describe it as being "slightly more musical and slightly softer character than the other preamps in the DPA Reference Standard series".  Curious what that means, exactly...

Bruce Meyers told a fellow taper to disregard those comments and that they'll all be the transparent sound we expect from dpa.  someone got a little happy with the copy..

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:56:28 PM »
like the compact versions!

still way too big compared to the 402x and 405x compacts

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 07:26:38 PM »
You can tell by these new mics as well as the 4099's that DPA is just expanding deeper into the theater performance niche.  They have mics for the performer, the instruments and the room.  Now they have a close to complete product line for theater sound.  I would bet that the vast majority of 402x mics are being used as instrument mics and their use as room mics like we use them for is probably pretty slim.

I do wonder if in the design of these new mics that they have left the door open for 'active' cables?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »
A few more details on the DPA site since this thread first appeared (including that the compact pre is 1.6 inches long, so ~2.5 inches with capsule)...Also, they describe it as being "slightly more musical and slightly softer character than the other preamps in the DPA Reference Standard series".  Curious what that means, exactly...

Bruce Meyers told a fellow taper to disregard those comments and that they'll all be the transparent sound we expect from dpa.  someone got a little happy with the copy..

Cool; thanks!  I like that DPA sound...

Any word as to when they will phase out the compacts?  I would love to get some 4026s (they'd be mine by now without a few large, unanticipated expenditures), but I wouldn't mind having the changeable caps if DPA introduces something a bit smaller...

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 03:09:22 PM »

Cool; thanks!  I like that DPA sound...

Any word as to when they will phase out the compacts?  I would love to get some 4026s (they'd be mine by now without a few large, unanticipated expenditures), but I wouldn't mind having the changeable caps if DPA introduces something a bit smaller...

The compacts are not going away. Their application cannot be matched by this modular system, even with the short body.

Now, DPA could eliminate the 4011 and the other fixed cap full body versions since there is actual redundancy. The modular series could definately errode sales of the older full bodied versions, since you could have both subcard and card caps for a single body.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline scb

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »
The compacts are not going away. Their application cannot be matched by this modular system, even with the short body.

My friend was told by DPA that the compacts are in fact going away. 

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 04:45:04 PM »

Doesn't surprise me at all.  Their product line has changed quite a bit even over the last 12-18 months.   Lots of new products.  Lots of new microphone systems.    To be honest i'm surprised no one has tried using a 4099 in the field yet.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »

Wow. That's a shame. Well, based on that thinking, I see no reason to keep making the 4011s either.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »
Yeah but the older mics were assembled with genuine lead.   It is now illegal.  So it must sound better!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
To be honest i'm surprised no one has tried using a 4099 in the field yet.

Wifi Jeff does, close paired with 4060 or 4063 to extend their bass response.

I've considered giving them a try as well.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 03:22:40 AM »
I have always wanted them to make a hyper-cardioid. I know they have their super-card shotgun, but its just too frickin big for most tapers applications even tho its the smallest gun out there
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline scb

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 10:11:16 AM »
the 4021/22/23, 4026/27/28 and 4051/52/53 compacts aren't even on the dpa site anymore

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com