Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser MKH8040  (Read 26088 times)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Sennheiser MKH8040
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »
But the head is the complete microphone - the "body" is just an XLR adaptor with no electronics inside at all.

If you want a tiny mic. get the head and the extension cable and cut off the far end and put on an XLR-3M and off you go.  ;D

Is it possible to eliminate the body (XLR module) entirely?

Yes, that's what I said above.

cashandkerouac

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2012, 07:44:47 PM »
i think you're correct... to my knowledge Sennheiser does not sell the microphone head by itself.

Sorry - this is wrong - the head *is* available on its own - the MKHC 8050 - see my post above.

John: thanks for the correction!

...today i pulled the trigger on a pair of MKH8050 mics and hope to receive them by end of the month.  i bought the normal configuration (head and XLR adapter) rather than head only.   

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2012, 02:42:04 AM »
i think you're correct... to my knowledge Sennheiser does not sell the microphone head by itself.

Sorry - this is wrong - the head *is* available on its own - the MKHC 8050 - see my post above.

John: thanks for the correction!

...today i pulled the trigger on a pair of MKH8050 mics and hope to receive them by end of the month.  i bought the normal configuration (head and XLR adapter) rather than head only.

NB: The MKH 8050 are not normally available as matched pairs as they are normally used as spot mics.

HOWEVER - Sennheiser can factory-match a pair on request and Germany do not charge extra for this.

Just make sure you make it clear to Sennheiser when you order, as they will have to be specially ordered from Germany.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »
But the head is the complete microphone - the "body" is just an XLR adaptor with no electronics inside at all.

If you want a tiny mic. get the head and the extension cable and cut off the far end and put on an XLR-3M and off you go.  ;D

Thanks.  When I looked at the picture of one of these cables (on the B&H site), it appeared like there were 4 pins on the side that connects to the XLR module, so I didn't realize it was so simple to chop it and add an XLR.  I kind of thought you were referring to a remote capsule configuration...

Any idea how long the connector (or connector and strain relief) are on the capsule side of those cables?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2012, 10:54:19 AM »

Thanks.  When I looked at the picture of one of these cables (on the B&H site), it appeared like there were 4 pins on the side that connects to the XLR module, so I didn't realize it was so simple to chop it and add an XLR.  I kind of thought you were referring to a remote capsule configuration...

Any idea how long the connector (or connector and strain relief) are on the capsule side of those cables?

There are 4 pins because the cable is stereo enabled (ie: you can run two heads along it via a Y-cable).

The length of the connector and strain relief is about half the length of the XLR I think.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »

Although it appears that not a single one of us here on TS owns a pair of the Milab VM-44 supercards I'd love to hear a comparison of those with the Sennheiser 8050's.

Me, too.  THAT would be a great comp.  In fact, I'd like to hear any recordings with the VM-44 supercards.

Offline BusDriver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »
Anyone have knowledge if the MZL 80** cable will fit securely in NOLA bars?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com