Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

What is your favorite sounding hypercardioid capsule?

Schoeps mk41
22 (21.8%)
Schoeps mk41V
8 (7.9%)
AKG ck63
24 (23.8%)
Gefell m21
20 (19.8%)
Neumann ak50
9 (8.9%)
beyerdynamic ck950
2 (2%)
MBHO ka500
3 (3%)
Milab vm-44 (super)
3 (3%)
I prefer shotguns (or something else not listed here) you insensitive clod!
10 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: Favorite Hypercardioid condenser *capsule* (and why)?  (Read 27944 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Favorite Hypercardioid condenser *capsule* (and why)?
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2013, 10:03:41 PM »
I recently sent one of my AKG CK-63 capsules in for repair and had to use CK-61 cardioids instead in this local venue that looks and sounds like a barn. I've come to rely on the hyper-cardioids in that venue and another in town. There's no EQing that takes out that barn sound better than using more directional mics in those venues. So, for me they are problem solvers.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:19:52 PM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »
It's meant as slang.  As in home boy...home team-er...homie...home-er...

Not Homer like Homer Simpson or Homer the first baseball card dude.

Maybe not the most proper use of the slang term, but seems appropo in the context applied.

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2013, 10:16:29 PM »
i'll say this... i love my 8050s, but in ideal conditions i'd much rather use the 8040s.  so much more bass with the 8040s.  me like bass mucho!!!

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2013, 01:31:25 AM »
There's no EQing that takes out that barn sound better than using more directional mics in those venues. So, for me they are problem solvers.

This.

It's a mic capsule that you buy for it's polar pattern which you need in a certain environment more.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »
I'm happy with my AT 4053 hypers.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »
I'd like to retract and suggest that the best hyper is the one that you create with the schoeps mk2, mk8 and the polarflex plugin: http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/categories/polarflex
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2013, 02:33:31 PM »
I'd like to retract and suggest that the best hyper is the one that you create with the schoeps mk2, mk8 and the polarflex plugin: http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/categories/polarflex

Price aside, that personally seems like too much work in post but, like the soundfield, looks like a really cool idea.

Offline DiggerinVA

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2013, 06:48:18 AM »
And as someone who ran mbho hypers for 4 years, I must say, there are many pairs of schoeps at some shows for a reason, it's because the simply sound the best. You def get what you pay for!!!
Very much disagree. I have not had the opportunity to play with that many pairs of mics, but I did sell audio equipment for about 15 years. I was considered to have a very good ear and there is something that grates against me with schoeps. They are mostly used out of reputation from what I have observed.
Sony C38B's --> Lunatec V2-->PMD661
B-3's --> Tinybox 1.5 --> PCM-M10

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2013, 06:56:55 AM »
And as someone who ran mbho hypers for 4 years, I must say, there are many pairs of schoeps at some shows for a reason, it's because the simply sound the best. You def get what you pay for!!!
Very much disagree. I have not had the opportunity to play with that many pairs of mics, but I did sell audio equipment for about 15 years. I was considered to have a very good ear and there is something that grates against me with schoeps. They are mostly used out of reputation from what I have observed.

I'm fully aware that reasonable people can disagree, that opinions are like assholes, and that personal taste matters a great deal when comparing well-made transducers.

However, your "very good ear" notwithstanding, there is a good reason why many of the best professionals working in everything from classical symphonies to film dialog use schoeps gear. Reputations are earned. Many, many people tape with Schoeps because of their flat frequency response (both on and off-axis) and uniform patterns.

I'm happy that you like what you like, but I just can't believe that you know (or can hear) something that noone else does.
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline DiggerinVA

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2013, 07:20:07 AM »

I'm fully aware that reasonable people can disagree, that opinions are like assholes, and that personal taste matters a great deal when comparing well-made transducers.

However, your "very good ear" notwithstanding, there is a good reason why many of the best professionals working in everything from classical symphonies to film dialog use schoeps gear. Reputations are earned. Many, many people tape with Schoeps because of their flat frequency response (both on and off-axis) and uniform patterns.

I'm happy that you like what you like, but I just can't believe that you know (or can hear) something that noone else does.

A microphone is a transducer as is a speaker. Both are greatly affected by the room they are in. It has been shown in many cases where a flat response is not pleasing to most ears. This is not my opinion, but that held by many of the speaker designer's. Measured responses are just not as important in the transducer business as it is in the amplifier business and there is where listening is real fun, it can really toss specs out the window.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2013, 07:50:08 AM »

A microphone is a transducer as is a speaker. Both are greatly affected by the room they are in. It has been shown in many cases where a flat response is not pleasing to most ears. This is not my opinion, but that held by many of the speaker designer's. Measured responses are just not as important in the transducer business as it is in the amplifier business and there is where listening is real fun, it can really toss specs out the window.

If you are trying to capture everything with a simple stereo pair, isn't it best to start flat and apply eq in post where you have infinite options?

You are now trying to tell me is that your "very good ears" find accuracy "grating?" Why should I trust your individual preferences over the industry standard again?
Recording:

Offline DiggerinVA

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2013, 08:18:14 AM »

If you are trying to capture everything with a simple stereo pair, isn't it best to start flat and apply eq in post where you have infinite options?

You are now trying to tell me is that your "very good ears" find accuracy "grating?" Why should I trust your individual preferences over the industry standard again?

The 1st statement sounds logical. Except that it is far more complicated than that. 2nd part you will have a playback system which will have flaws too and this is what you will apply eq with? So what happens to the original?

Now as I said I was considered to have very good ears, this was placed on me by others. And I never have liked the schoeps, sorry. I am not alone. Oh why do engineers not use schoeps for vocals in the studio's? Remember 80% of the music we listen to is in the mid range.

Another question for you where is accuracy determined? The answer is a anechoic chamber. Do you record or listen in one? So in the real world when you start adding reflections back in what happens. Now this thread is about hyper cardioid mics, which is why I have an interest, I don't have a pair and would like a pair. Their main purpose is to reduce of axis sounds, so by their very nature they are not accurate. So I am looking for something that sounds good (yes a very subjective term) that is why I am here.

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »

The 1st statement sounds logical. Except that it is far more complicated than that. 2nd part you will have a playback system which will have flaws too and this is what you will apply eq with? So what happens to the original?

Now as I said I was considered to have very good ears, this was placed on me by others. And I never have liked the schoeps, sorry. I am not alone. Oh why do engineers not use schoeps for vocals in the studio's? Remember 80% of the music we listen to is in the mid range.

Another question for you where is accuracy determined? The answer is a anechoic chamber. Do you record or listen in one? So in the real world when you start adding reflections back in what happens. Now this thread is about hyper cardioid mics, which is why I have an interest, I don't have a pair and would like a pair. Their main purpose is to reduce of axis sounds, so by their very nature they are not accurate. So I am looking for something that sounds good (yes a very subjective term) that is why I am here.

;)
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
I want to know who voted for the milabs. what samples have they heard that I haven't? (I haven't heard any....)

still waiting...
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2013, 10:06:21 AM »
1. I frequently listen to music in an anechoic chamber; e.g. headphones. Due to living in an apartment I share with little children, and a career as an academic in which I spend a good deal of my life in libraries. In fact, a big part of my choice to build a schoeps m/s rig was because of the ability to create dedicated headphone mixes. Also, most engineers use multiple playback rigs to judge how eq affects the sound.

2. There is a good reason that you don't see any LD hypers on the poll which is the impetus for this thread. Most tapers (and recording engineers) think that SD hypers work better for what we do.

3. Plenty of classical singers (male and female) are spot mic'ed with schoeps capsules in live and studio recordings. Can you guess why? Also The mk41 is universally acclaimed by those who record film dialog. Name your favorite movie, I bet Schoeps microphones were used. Can you guess why?

My point is this: it is all well and good for you to claim that you don't like way schoeps sound, Good for you! Don't buy them. Know that many, many people disagree (look at the poll results above!) Good for them! This is all subjective.

But to suggest that whereas *you* are using your superior ears to determine things, whereas all the rest of us (by implication with inferior hearing or discerning ability) are somehow seduced by a popularity contest to like Schoeps, well that is offensive to many folks on this board who have run all kinds of gear before settling on what they like best.
Recording:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.199 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com