Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microphone configurations for LD mics.  (Read 24446 times)

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
Microphone configurations for LD mics.
« on: April 11, 2004, 02:58:06 PM »
I know there has been a lot of poeple questioning how to setup different stereo microphone configurations, so I figured I would put together a page to point people to, in order to help them with their setups. So far, there are only large diaphragm pictures up, but I know this is what a lot of poeple have been having trouble with lately. I'll get some small diaphragm configuration pictures, as well as many other LD pics up there soon.

Maybe we could sticky this thread or link here, or in the microphone or archival forums?

-JB

Dead Link <<<http://homepage.mac.com/gottajiboo40/Menu10.html>>> Dead Link

Moke steps in for an edit:

I had a suspicion that these pictures might disappear. So I made copies one day, in anticipation :bigsmile:

Healy From Above

Healy side view

DIN 20cm 90º front

DIN 20cm 90º above

MS 90º front view

MS 90º side view

ORTF 110º 17cm above

ORTF 110º 17cm

Horizontal XY 90º above

Horizontal XY 90º front

Vertical XY 90º front

Vertical XY 90º front

Vertical XY 90º front

The ts.com reference folder link:
http://www.taperssection.com/reference/images/JasonB%20LD%20Mic%20Configs/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 10:50:50 AM by Moke »

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re:Microphone configurations.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 03:00:39 PM »
Very nice Jason...+T!    If you run out of bandwidth hosting lemme know and I'll host them for ya. :)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Jason B

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 03:09:19 PM »
Yes, I will be adding some SD pics as soon as I can take them. I'm getting ready to add LD's in ORTF and Healy omni's now...

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 04:25:05 PM »
Cool man, I have to do a basic little site for my Graphic Tech class. I think I might do a page for newbs, cause the archive can sometimes be a little hard to sort through!

Offline pnobles

• Taperssection Member
    • ME !
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 10:49:58 PM »
great page!   i took some pics of sd configurations with neumann 184s that i posted on here.  let me see if i can dig them up...
Patrick Nobles
pnobles@udel.edu
http://udel.edu/~pnobles   <- check it out

Offline pnobles

• Taperssection Member
    • ME !
Patrick Nobles
pnobles@udel.edu
http://udel.edu/~pnobles   <- check it out

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 10:38:40 AM »
thanks jason, in the DIN mic spacing, the 20 cm looks shorter than the 17cm used in ORTF, is that just the pics? Actually if the *arms* of the AKG bar are pushed closer together then that has to be less than 17cm, correct?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 12:00:31 PM »
now, when would you use these different configuations (I just bought a matched pair of ADK-TLs).
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Brian

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 12:29:38 PM »
*** edited because it was one of my dumbest posts ever. good thing Twoodruff has it quoted though for your enjoyment :lol: ***

+T jason and pnobles for the nice config pics

:)

Brian
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 12:52:17 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline Brian

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 12:41:41 PM »
now, when would you use these different configuations (I just bought a matched pair of ADK-TLs).
so many different variables here. it depends upon these factors. anybody else please feel free to chime in on any i missed:

-how the PA(if any) is set up and sounds
-where you want/can set up in relation to the PA/stage. If you can find that sweet spot and can set up there, DO IT! depending where that is, set up a config that will yeild you the best possible soundstage and overall music response.
-basically how the room sounds in general
-if taping on stage the way the musicians are set up will ultimately determine the config to use IMHO.

there's lots of info about different configs on this board that will give you more help than this one lame post. do a site search for a config you want to learn about. lots of info on *omni's* and *DIN vs. ORTF* here especially.

Brian

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 12:44:45 PM »
thanks jason, in the DIN mic spacing, the 20 cm looks shorter than the 17cm used in ORTF, is that just the pics? Actually if the *arms* of the AKG bar are pushed closer together then that has to be less than 17cm, correct?

the way i see it i think the ortf overhead picture was zoomed out a little more than the DIN overhead picture thus making you think that the ortf config had shorter spacing

+T jason and pnobles for the nice config pics

:)

Brian

ORTF does have shorter spacing, 17 cm as opposed to 20 for DIN. What I am saying is looking at the pics and the fact that the AKG bar's arms are brought closer in together on the DIN, I dont think that is 20cm of spacing.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Brian

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 12:49:50 PM »
ORTF does have shorter spacing, 17 cm as opposed to 20 for DIN. What I am saying is looking at the pics and the fact that the AKG bar's arms are brought closer in together on the DIN, I dont think that is 20cm of spacing.

DOH! I knew that  :banging head: i should remember to not post to TS.com before noon ;D i looked at the pictures and read your post wrong.

Hi my name is Brian Sax and today i'm a dumbass :tomato:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 12:54:22 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 02:21:52 PM »
do remember Keepongoing, that these stereo techniques are intended for more studio/pro recordings than our field recordings.
The best thing to do is use these as a base and if you feel like trying a different variation, do it!  Certain gear sounds better when changing the angle slightly or spacing between caps.  

Nice pics Jason!
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 02:35:06 PM »
+T  thanks for the effort!!
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 03:32:53 PM »
do remember Keepongoing, that these stereo techniques are intended for more studio/pro recordings than our field recordings.
The best thing to do is use these as a base and if you feel like trying a different variation, do it!  Certain gear sounds better when changing the angle slightly or spacing between caps.  

Thanks, to both you and S_TL-Taper; I appreciate the help.  I will be using the mics in the field and in my home studio, so threads like these are very helpful.  I think I am going to modify one of those shure vert. bars and carry a t-bar as well.  
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com